Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 07:49:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Location of Fulvia chassis number(s)  (Read 2231 times)
Michael Tryton

« on: 16 November, 2021, 08:35:01 PM »

Recently, I was required to check out a '71/'72 Fulvia 1600 HF for somebody.

One of the first things I noticed was that the chassis number stamped on the blue 'Lancia' VIN plate which was pop-riveted onto the top left (when viewed from the front) flat bulkhead top - whilst matching the chassis number reported on all of the associated paper documentation - most certainly didn't match the number clearly engraved into the engine bay rain-channel which runs along the top of the left-hand (nearside) wing.

Both numbers began with the same & correct 818.740 for a (LHD) HF version, but then showed different digits thereafter.

There are two possible explanations I've heard:

(i) This number in the rain-channel is only a (body) part number, while the actual chassis number is stamped onto the bodywork somewhere else; like along the rain channel which runs along at the back of the bonnet (something I didn't discover or look for)

....Or else....
(ii) Maybe this car is some sort of ringer?Huh?!! (It has certainly spent some time in several other countries, abroad...)

The views & advice of the panel are kindly invited.

lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 16 November, 2021, 09:23:20 PM »

The stamping in the rain channel that runs forward down the wing is a part number. The chassis number should be stamped on the rain channel that is forward of the windscreen. All to often impossible to verify due to the difficult position and over painting if the vehicle has been restored.

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
Michael Tryton

« Reply #2 on: 17 November, 2021, 08:45:21 PM »

Thanks very much for that prompt & authoritative statement, Tim - much reassured!

And checked it out on my own Fulvia: which matches - down to the indiscoverable chassis number, lost down the back of the bonnet rail, just as you predicted....
Neil
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 18 November, 2021, 11:44:59 AM »

You might be able to get an impression of the chassis number in the gutter from underneath with some plasticine or similar which might not have been heavily painted over

Neil   

1973 Fulvia S2 1.3
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd