Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
19 March, 2024, 02:00:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Squeaky Springs  (Read 1594 times)
Angle Grinder
Megaposter

« on: 17 July, 2021, 07:05:35 PM »

Has anyone got any advice on how to lubricate the Flavia's front transverse leaf spring without dropping it out of the car.

I was hoping it might be possible to remove the anti-roll bar and then jack the car high enough that the spring would droop enough to allow some light aerosol grease to be sprayed onto the leaves.

Current Cars: 1994 2.0 VIS Thema Station Wagon, 1967 Flavia 1.8 PF Coupe.

Previous cars:
1983 Prisma 1600
1991 Thema 16v i.e. SE
1988 Thema 8v Turbo
1992 Thema 16v i.e.
1983 Gamma Coupe (manual)
1993 Thema VIS
1994 Thema VIS LE
1990 Thema 2.8
markinnes

« Reply #1 on: 05 November, 2021, 11:00:46 PM »

No lubrication advice to give I'm afraid - but in case you weren't aware - in between each steel leaf is a rubber isolator strip. The parts catalogue calls this "Anti-squeak". If one / some has worn through, the ideal would be to remove spring, separate the leaves, instal replacement 'anti-squeak' rubber.

this might be a dumb idea [if so hopefully some-one more knowledgeable will point this out!] - But I believe sometimes it is the partly-exposed ends that go first, in which case you might be able to unload the spring enough to access the tattered end, cut away, and bodge a repair with new rubber strip and adhesive. How long that might hold I've no idea...
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 06 November, 2021, 06:49:32 AM »

Has anyone got any advice on how to lubricate the Flavia's front transverse leaf spring without dropping it out of the car.

I was hoping it might be possible to remove the anti-roll bar and then jack the car high enough that the spring would droop enough to allow some light aerosol grease to be sprayed onto the leaves.
You would have to remove the shock absorber to get max droop without going through to removing the spring itself. Not sure this will be enough. I would shoot thinned down waxoyl several times particulary in the top towards the centre mount. If you do take the spring out you will notice the leaves are tight together…. The interleaving on front springs is not rubber as sold for rear springs but some tough nylon type of material.

Are you sure the squeak is not coming from a shock bush or wishbone?

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator