Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 07:12:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flaminia V6 engine, single solex twin barrel carb - sparking problems  (Read 1369 times)
FERGTS246

« on: 14 August, 2021, 02:00:32 PM »

Hi All,
I’m having repeated problems with my engine not running properly.
I’ve had spark plugs stop working, sparks leaking through rubber plug caps and creating a tiny hole in them. I’ve replace the bad spark plugs and the rubber covers.
The engine runs great immediately afterwards but then a couple of days later, after driving the car couple of times for short distances, the engine runs badly again!

Now, in the order of the cylinder firing sequence, cylinders 3, 5 and 6 aren’t firing - (see diagram attached). I can tell because the exhaust manifold branches for these cylinders aren’t getting hot whilst the others are.

I’ve got:
‘Ignition123' Electric Distributor Ignition system
Carbon core HT leads
NGK iridium spark plugs (NGK BKR6EIX 6418 Spark Plug Iridium IX)
Standard spark plug rubber caps.

The position of the cylinders not firing don’t suggest a blocked carb main jet. I’ve had a problem with blocked fuel pipe and/or weak fuel pressure but I’m pretty sure that has been solved now.

Do you think its possible that 123 Ignition system, carbon core HT leads are damaging the spark plugs and rubber caps?

Any other suggestions please?

* Non-firing-Cylinders-14Aug21.pdf (353.71 KB - downloaded 63 times.)
bobhenry999
Megaposter

« Reply #1 on: 15 August, 2021, 05:13:47 PM »

Would it be worth changing the ignition system back to a points/condenser system  and see if that cures the problem ?
If it does you can then make the electronic ignition the culprit.
Bob

Flavia 815 Vignale
Flavia 819 Milleotto
Flavia 815 Coupe Inezione
2000HF x2
2000 Coupe
2000 Sedan x3
Current 815 Coupe Variante 1005
FERGTS246

« Reply #2 on: 17 August, 2021, 01:47:16 AM »

Hi Bob, Thanks for your reply. I'll try that as I've tried everything else.
I managed to get it running on all cylinders after de-carbing the plugs but it has now developed a back fire through the carb on tweaking the throttle. After checking for vacuum leaks, doing tappets, cleaning jets and checking float level its now not firing on one cylinder and still has a back fire even, though less often.
I'm wondering if the 123-Ignition electronic ignition dizzy and Bosch coil are just to strong for the plugs and/or HT leads and doing something to them that makes them stop working intermittantly and then eventually kills them?
Chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd