Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 12:34:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flavia, Fulvia, Beta & Monte - Do you know Jack ....?  (Read 12011 times)
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« on: 20 May, 2008, 07:33:59 AM »

I'm having some new scissor jack ratchet handle gears made from Roc Tuf.

The originals crack in half because they have a design flaw; they have 13 (lucky) teeth on the periphery, and no matter how hard one tries, one cannot orientate them any differently - one edge of the hex drive cutout always coincides with the minor diameter of one of the teeth.  So the only alternative is to make them out of strong material.

It would seem that one size could fit all the jack handles for Flavia, Fulvia, Beta & Monte by simply machining the outter diameter to suit the handles.

Of course economies of scale is the million dollar question, so how many members might be interested?

Guy McDougall
www.facebook.com/RetroPart
Rare Parts for Rare Machines
Appia Coupé S3 (Rosina), Appia Berlina S3 (La Giaconda), Fulvia 1.3S 5 spd coupé (Tigger, belongs to Carol), Beta Spyder S2 (Vivaldi), Montecarlo Spyder S2, HPE VX (Pugsly) etc
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 20 May, 2008, 02:43:24 PM »

Hi Guy,
I'd be interested Cheesy

Brian Hilton
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
inthedark
« Reply #2 on: 20 May, 2008, 04:36:28 PM »

Shame, I just bought an electric jack from Maplin

Geoff
peterbaker
Permanent resident

www.retro-speed.co.uk

« Reply #3 on: 20 May, 2008, 10:09:17 PM »

Should have guessed you would be at a holiday camp, is the bar open?

1961 Lancia Flavia 1.5 Berlina. FIAT Abarth. 1954 Daimler Conquest. 2003 MG ZT-T 135. 1998 SAAB 9-5 3 litre turbo.
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #4 on: 21 May, 2008, 11:15:29 AM »

Okay chaps, this isn't about one-upmanship.  Roll Eyes

But if you don't know your Flavia, Fulvia, Beta and Monte scissors jacks from their orphan cousins Bottle Jack (an alcoholic who bends his elbow too often), Trolley Jack (with his own hot wheels), and Pedestal Jack (who thinks he's above everyone), then you don't know Jack ....  Wink

The real McCoy Jack is worth a few points at any concours, and a nice to have for those of us who are just wickedly pedantic. 

The gears will cost only £15 each (excl. shipping & duty) if we can just get 10 of us to order one each.

Guy McDougall
Appia Coupé S3 (Rosina), Appia Berlina S3 (La Giaconda), Fulvia 1.3S 5 spd coupé (Tigger, belongs to Carol), Beta Spyder S2 (Vivaldi), Montecarlo Spyder S2, HPE VX (Pugsly) etc
YKR 567J
« Reply #5 on: 25 June, 2008, 09:17:53 PM »

Put me down for one, as the one for my Fulvia currently looks like the one in your photograph that's in component form.

John Simister
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #6 on: 29 June, 2008, 07:02:58 AM »

Thanks John,

I'm expecting the prototype any day now.

Between me (I need 4), Brian Hilton and yourself we may just have enough interest.  Roll Eyes

Kindest regards,

Guy McDougall
AStacey
« Reply #7 on: 10 January, 2009, 07:45:07 PM »

Hello all maybe it's too late but I'd be very intrested as mine has given up the ghost as well, I can be contacted on 023 92463880. Thanks
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #8 on: 13 January, 2009, 01:27:07 PM »

Hi Andrew,

It's never too late.  Any more takers please?   Cheesy

After the last round, I only had two made for myself, but could probably stretch to make a new order of 5.

At the moment the prototypes are still disassembled, so later I'll post some photos of just what the process of repairing the jack handles entails.

Kindest regards,

Guy McDougall
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #9 on: 15 January, 2009, 02:00:08 PM »

Here's what it entails:

Grinding / filing off the rivet heads of the handle.

Splitting the two halves.

Removing the pieces of the old gear.

Machining the new ratchet gear's diameter and width to suit your jack's handle - I've made a one size fits all 'blank'.

Riveting the two halves back together.   Grin
« Last Edit: 15 January, 2009, 02:29:22 PM by St Volumex » Logged

Guy McDougall
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #10 on: 28 November, 2009, 08:04:44 AM »

Whew!

Talk about Rome wasn't sacked in a day...

The gears are finally ready  Roll Eyes, and I will be bringing them with me to the UK in December when I will be posting them to the interested parties and perhaps anyone else who may now have an interest - first come, first served.

Kiindest regards,

Guy McDougall
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 28 November, 2009, 08:20:00 AM »

Thamks Guy Cool

Brian
8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #12 on: 31 December, 2010, 10:23:39 AM »

No matter that only Andrew and Brian took up my offer, but I'm wondering how they fared?

Finally after many moons, this precious and priceless tool forged with love in the fires of Mount Doom was completed as a Christmas gift from the ever-faithful hobbit Guido to my Lady Carol for her "Tigger"!

(BTW I managed to order a new Monte-style jack handle through Fiat for our son Matthew too.)
« Last Edit: 31 December, 2010, 10:27:42 AM by St Volumex » Logged

Guy McDougall
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #13 on: 31 December, 2010, 10:32:18 AM »

No matter that only Andrew and Brian took up my offer, but I'm wondering how they fared?

Finally after many moons, this precious and priceless tool forged with love in the fires of Mount Doom was completed as a Christmas gift from the ever-faithful hobbit Guido to my Lady Carol for her "Tigger"!

(BTW I managed to order a new Monte-style jack handle through Fiat for our son Matthew too.)

Guy,
Bit different to buying the lady of the house new saucepans for Christmas!

Looks great hope Carol and "Tigger" appreciate the effort involved!
Haven't done anything with mine as my Jack handle rachet is ok, so this has joined the ranks of the "Just in Case" parts squirreled away. Roll Eyes

Brian
8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
John Simister
Lapsed

« Reply #14 on: 04 January, 2011, 05:11:42 PM »

Oops, slightly embarrassed about this. Events conspired to make my then-Fulvia (YKR 567J, as per my former forum name) and me part company so I faded out of the scene. However I now have another, rather better Fulvia which is complete and proper in every respect apart from, yes, lacking the correct jacking handle. So a new ratchet wouldn't really do it. I need the rest of the handle too...

John
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd