Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 10:40:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cylinder head skimming - valves out?  (Read 2933 times)
andyps
Megaposter

« on: 27 June, 2021, 08:34:54 PM »

A quick question I'm hoping someone can help with, I've taken the cylinder head off my 1.3 S2 with the intention of taking it to get it skimmed tomorrow but looking at it the inlet valves are very close to the surface of the head, so much so that they could potentially get a small amount ground off them if the head is skimmed - do they need to come out for the skimming? The car doesn't have its original engine so I'm not absolutely sure of the origins of the components. Any help appreciated, I didn't really want to take the valves out at this stage but can do if necessary.
Jai Sharma
Megaposter

« Reply #1 on: 27 June, 2021, 09:51:48 PM »

I am no expert but I have never heard of a Fulvia head being skimmed with the valves in.
andyps
Megaposter

« Reply #2 on: 27 June, 2021, 10:38:07 PM »

Thanks Jai, I think it probably needs the valves out looking at it but was hoping to get it skimmed and then do the valves one by one so I can be sure they go back in the same place!
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 28 June, 2021, 08:10:15 AM »

Thanks Jai, I think it probably needs the valves out looking at it but was hoping to get it skimmed and then do the valves one by one so I can be sure they go back in the same place!
Get 8 pots labelled E1 to 4 and I 1 to 4 and you cannot go wrong. You will still need to relap the valves in, and or have seats recut if changing the valves/guides on inspection.

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
andyps
Megaposter

« Reply #4 on: 28 June, 2021, 10:28:44 AM »

Looks like I need to eat a lot of yogurt today Grin

Thanks Tim, I'll get them out tonight if I can find my valve spring compressor, haven't used it for a long time. Reason for my original question is that other heads I've had skimmed were fine with the valves left in place but when I looked closely I figured that can't be done with the FUlvia one.
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 29 June, 2021, 08:34:56 PM »

I have a set of number punches to use on valves but I guess it is different with a Lambda!

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 30 June, 2021, 04:59:13 AM »

Thanks Tim, I'll get them out tonight if I can find my valve spring compressor, haven't used it for a long time. Reason for my original question is that other heads I've had skimmed were fine with the valves left in place but when I looked closely I figured that can't be done with the FUlvia one.
you may have to buy another valve spring compressor due to the width of the head. The large Clarke one from Machine Mart has a deep enough “U”.

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
andyps
Megaposter

« Reply #7 on: 05 July, 2021, 10:43:45 PM »

you may have to buy another valve spring compressor due to the width of the head. The large Clarke one from Machine Mart has a deep enough “U”.
I did buy a larger valve spring compressor - got one from Amazon for convenience but it is going back because the quality is shocking, just about managed to get it to work but the part which sits against the valve face kept falling off. Head is now skimmed and back on the car, all reassembled but a bit late this evening to fire it up without upsetting the neighbours!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd