Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 01:32:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Storage and humidity  (Read 1952 times)
Wangler
Megaposter

« on: 25 June, 2021, 10:25:54 AM »

I bought a couple of Govee "Smart Thermo-Hygrometers" from Amazon a couple of weeks ago for £12.99 each (although I see today they are £13.99). I put one in my garage and it is excellent. It has its own large display and also connects to a smartphone app. using Bluetooth and gives a record of the temperature and humidity by the hour, day, week, month and year.

Mine shows humidity staying nice and constant at around 50% so long as I keep the door shut (I keep a dehumidifier going) but in my shed it varies hugely. Well worth the money if you think your garage may get a bit damp. You can also connect more than one to the same app.

Fulvia Coupe 1976
Fulvia Coupe 3 1975
cyborg7

« Reply #1 on: 25 June, 2021, 10:07:08 PM »

Good call - didn't know you could get ones that connect to your phone for that price point. 50% is a pretty good reading even with the door shut. Have you taken any special measures to seal your garage to get that sort of reading?

Wangler
Megaposter

« Reply #2 on: 26 June, 2021, 08:22:30 AM »

The garage is a double one under the house. The door is a German electrically operated sectional insulated one with a rubber seal. I used to have a cheap thin steel manual up-and-over type and the difference in heat retention and ease of damp control is incredible. So it’s a well sealed environment and therefore quite easy to control.

Fulvia Coupe 1976
Fulvia Coupe 3 1975
cyborg7

« Reply #3 on: 27 June, 2021, 04:56:12 PM »

Sounds like a good set up. I've only got a cheap up and over which is as air leaky as anything so am compensating with a tarpaulin and velcro - you don't want to know. It's a bit of a faff.
I think humidity is one of the most under-appreciated issue for classic cars to be honest. It's one of those rabbit holes that maybe it's best not to go down (ignorance is bliss and all that), but good to hear someone else taking it seriously.
I found a good calc.   tool that has been useful for me.
http://www.dpcalc.org/

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd