Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
24 April, 2024, 10:44:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Engine and Subframe Mount Replacement  (Read 2048 times)
my69S1

« on: 22 October, 2022, 01:37:53 PM »

I did a search but couldn't find any definitive.  Is it possible to replace some or all of the engine and sub-frame rubber mounts without removing either the engine or sub-frame?  I've counted a total of 12 upper (4) and lower (Cool subframe rubber bushings and 8 engine mounts (this I believe also includes the engine/transmission mount). 

I was thinking I could unscrew the engine mounts and then lift the engine a bit with a jack so I can remove the bushings, replace and then lower the engine back onto the new bushing? Is this doable?  I'm not sure about the sub-frame mounts however.  I have a 4 post lift so getting under the car is not a problem.  Thanks.
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 22 October, 2022, 04:36:56 PM »

You will need to consider  the steering column  /steering box. All should be doable but trickiest are the underside of the turret. All mounts are different so do one at a time....

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
my69S1

« Reply #2 on: 22 October, 2022, 08:03:01 PM »

You will need to consider  the steering column  /steering box. All should be doable but trickiest are the underside of the turret. All mounts are different so do one at a time....

Thanks.  I don't know what you mean by having to consider the steering column/steering box?  And when you say doable I assume you mean without having to remove the sub-frame and/or engine.  Is what I proposed for the engine mounts appropriate and what about the subframe?  The front 2 corners are the same and the back two are the same.  Can I put a jack under the front of the frame, remove the bolts (both sides) and then lower the frame slightly to access the upper bushings?  Then do the same for the rear two?  Appreciate the assistance.
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 23 October, 2022, 03:00:25 PM »

The steering box is on the  subframe but the  column is on the chassis.

You can "easily" do engine mounts and gearbox mounts.

Rear lower mid top and front lower (one is D shaped from memory) are  easy.

Mid lower rear uppers and front uppers require  the body to be lifted. This will require the  subframe to be  stabilised or it will pivot on the  front axle. As the weight of the body is lifted off the subframe, the subframe will rise

Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #4 on: 23 October, 2022, 03:53:05 PM »

A word of caution is needed when replacing the engine rubber mounts. If the new ones are very stiff and quite thicker than the standard ones, one might discover that the carbs will hit the bonnet when the latter is shut. Moreover, it might become difficult to remove the valve cover. Andrea

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 23 October, 2022, 06:25:49 PM »

Alternatively you may find it easier to lift the car from off the subframe using a hoist and a suitable plank across the engine and under the wings which is how I remove the engine/gearbox/subframe.   You will need to dixconnect the steering column from the box in order to get enough clearance for the top mounts I think.

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
my69S1

« Reply #6 on: 24 October, 2022, 09:18:20 PM »

Alternatively you may find it easier to lift the car from off the subframe using a hoist and a suitable plank across the engine and under the wings which is how I remove the engine/gearbox/subframe.   You will need to dixconnect the steering column from the box in order to get enough clearance for the top mounts I think.

Thanks.  You wouldn't happen to have a picture or a sketch of what this looks like (your first sentance). I'm trying to visualize what you are saying but I have never separated the car from the sub-frame so having a hard time.  Thanks.
my69S1

« Reply #7 on: 25 October, 2022, 12:30:10 PM »

If I am only lifting the car body or dropping the sub-frame maybe 2-4cm to get at the upper sub-frame bushings, is it enough just to disconnect or loosen the bolt on the steering column?  Can I get away with not having to disconnect the brake lines, coolant hoses, electrical etc that would normally be done when dropping the sub-frame?

Also, it was my intension to lift the front end, and remove the wheels so I have better access and can see more.  Is it enough to have jacks supporting the sub-frame when I lift the front end to support it when removing the sub-frame bolts and then lifting the car off the subframe a few cm's?  Is there some part of the sub-frame I should have support under to ensure it does not rotate, or maybe just doing the front mounts first while keeping the bolts in place at the back and then doing the same for the back (leave the bolts loose and in place at the front).  Hopefully I am explaining this correctly.
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 25 October, 2022, 02:55:26 PM »

Hello Simon

I doubt  anyone will give you further advice as this could be a  dangerous operation... Just needs thinking about.

Kind regards

Tim

Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 25 October, 2022, 04:40:46 PM »

Would this help with replacing the engine mounting bracket?

Richard

* Screenshot_20221025-173745.png (341.72 KB, 1280x720 - viewed 65 times.)

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd