Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
19 March, 2024, 07:01:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lambda fuel filler  (Read 3395 times)
Andrew Hunter

« on: 02 April, 2021, 09:36:21 PM »

I have an 8th series Lambda with a new fuel tank. Unfortunately the filler pipe that connects into the top of the tank leaks when refuelling, no matter how slowly I fill up. Does anyone know a good solution to this? Many thanks, Andrew
SanRemo78
Rebel Poster

« Reply #1 on: 03 April, 2021, 12:32:00 PM »

Possibly considered a bodge but can you find a rubber or silicone hose (fuel resistant obviously) with an O/D that matches the I/D of the filler and insert it beyond the leak point? You might have to find a fixing method to prevent it dropping into the tank though?
Guy
Dikappa
Megaposter

« Reply #2 on: 05 April, 2021, 10:21:55 AM »

Is it possible to post some pictures and indicate where it leaks? 

Does it leak with the filler closed while driving too or is it more an overflow?
Tony Stephens

« Reply #3 on: 05 April, 2021, 01:08:36 PM »

I considered this when rebuilding my 8th Series. One consideration is that the flexible pipe simply slots into the body fixture (onto which the filler cap screws). Thus, if the fuel gets between the body fixture and the pipe, a quantity will leak into the base of the boot aperture. Make sure the fuel nozzle is inserted properly into the pipe, but this is less easy if filling from a can.
Second thought is that the flexi pipe itself leaks, after all it's the best part of 100 years old! Mine appeared not to, but an excess of caution caused me to buy an appropriate length and diameter of heat shrink tubing and shrink it on to the outside of the flexible pipe with a heat gun.
No leaks (says he, smugly)
Andrew Hunter

« Reply #4 on: 10 April, 2021, 05:01:51 PM »

I have tried to work out where the leak is and it appears to be from the base of the flex hose where it is joined with a flange onto the tank. It is a new tank and the hose seems in good order. I might try to release and refit the flange with some suitable sealant.
Tony Stephens

« Reply #5 on: 11 April, 2021, 08:08:43 AM »

I fitted a fibre washer there. Horrid thing to make (very narrow!)
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 11 April, 2021, 09:05:09 AM »

I just inserted a plastic hose of suitable dimension into the pipe and sealed it in with silicone.  Crude but invisible and effective.  Hose big enough for petrol pump nozzle.

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd