Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 12:27:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sticking clutch  (Read 5641 times)
andyps
Megaposter

« on: 29 March, 2021, 11:04:47 AM »

I finally drove my Fulvia on the road yesterday after owning it for just under 5 years. It seemed to run OK apart from a sticking clutch which meant I didn't try going far. As sort of expected after a few years going nowhere (it had been unused for 25 years before I got it but did move OK without the clutch sticking when I purchased it) the clutch was stuck, it released with the usual trick of using the starter motor with the car in gear and the brake on. However, it keeps sticking to the point that gearchanges are almost impossible as it isn't releasing.

What I didn't try doing was slipping it a lot to wear/clean up the surfaces but I'm thinking that maybe I should have done. But before I do that I wondered if anyone has any other thoughts. When it does work the bite point is in a good position but it is 'grabby'. I'm hoping not to have to dismantle things and/or replace the clutch if I can avoid it.
nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #1 on: 29 March, 2021, 06:22:01 PM »

You may try to adjust the clutch pedal freeplay (2.5 cm) by turning the wing nut at the end of the clutch cable near the coil. Hpwever, it is likely your car will need a new clutch especially if you plan to do long trips, Andrea

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
Jaydub
Megaposter

« Reply #2 on: 29 March, 2021, 07:55:41 PM »

Andy I am no Fulvia expert but I have come across this situation many times before with either the friction plate sticking on the splines and therefore not releasing, or the 1st motion shaft ( gearbox input shaft) seized in the crankshaft spigot bush/bearing and therefore constantly spinning and making gear changes very difficult. You may have to pull the transmission to investigate.
Good Luck
Jaydub.

1600 HF. S2.
andyps
Megaposter

« Reply #3 on: 29 March, 2021, 10:41:38 PM »

So far it does feel like the clutch plate is grabbing on the surface of the flywheel, although I also wonder if there is a little rust on the splines that are restricting movement. It will free off and doesn't feel too bad when it works, just that it sticks again very readily which I haven't come across before.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try being a bit harsh with it next time I move the car and see if I can get it any better. I may alter the adjustment and see if it changes anything. I've got another car I need to sort so it might be a couple of weeks before I'm back to the Fulvia.
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 30 March, 2021, 06:21:04 AM »

I have have had this on a Fulvia and was a result of dry/rusty splines. My experience is it will free with use but will stick next winter..... liveable with perhaps but if the gearbox has the opportunity to come out it is easily dealt with, lube the gearbox input shaft and replace the friction disc.

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
andyps
Megaposter

« Reply #5 on: 30 March, 2021, 05:01:56 PM »

Thanks Tim. I'll see if it gets any better with some more use, I've only driven around the estate where I live so far - partly because of the difficulty of changing gear. I've left it with a piece of wood holding the clutch down but will try regular pumping on the pedal to see if that makes a difference. If not I'll get the clutch chnaged.
cyborg7

« Reply #6 on: 31 March, 2021, 07:22:14 PM »

Andy, just seen your 2 videos on YouTube- sounds good to me. Must be great to have it going ready for summer.

andyps
Megaposter

« Reply #7 on: 31 March, 2021, 11:31:02 PM »

Andy, just seen your 2 videos on YouTube- sounds good to me. Must be great to have it going ready for summer.

Thanks Chris, it is great to finally have it moving. Hope you and your car are doing well.
andyps
Megaposter

« Reply #8 on: 18 April, 2021, 10:14:07 PM »

I've still only driven about 10 miles but have pumped the clutch up and down many times, and left it held down. I've also used the adjuster to tighten the cable just so that it moves further when I press the pedal. Still getting some sticking so I think pulling the gearbox is probably the best idea - any indication as to how long it would take if done at a garage with a 2 post lift? Or is it reasonably possible at home with good axle stands? I'll get a new clutch kit too as it is one of those things that always seems worth fitting if it is apart.
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 19 April, 2021, 06:11:08 AM »

You need tall axle stands to get the c600 mm off the ground, and a transmission cradle to fit a large trolley jack.

I f the gear box is coming out it is a good time to give this 50year old bit of machinery some maintenance. Drive shaft oil seals, quill shaft roller bearing and oil seals (2 small ones), and then decide if any of the sychro cones need changing.

Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 20 April, 2021, 09:43:45 PM »

I release all the connections, ( 6 bolts holding the underframe to the "chassis" and various cables and pipes) put a thick plank across the bonnet opening and use it to lift the car off the engine/transmission unit with my ceiling mounted electric winch.    Very simple and much safer than wobbling around on axle stands!   You can even just wheel the whole lot forward if you have enough lift, otherwise rest the unit on a flat trolley.   You can then work on the engine, gearbox, clutch etc in perfect comfort.

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
andyps
Megaposter

« Reply #11 on: 30 September, 2021, 03:10:09 PM »

As an update to this I took my car to the local garage to have a replacement clutch fitted today, they have just called me and said the spigot bearing behind the flywheel is seized so it seems JayDub was right - does anyone know the bearing part number or dimensions for an S2 so I can hopefully get one locally? Also they have said the rear main seal is weeping a little so worth replacing - if anyone can help with the part number for that too it would be really helpful.
nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #12 on: 01 October, 2021, 06:55:33 AM »

On S2 cars there were two types of bearing, thus you will have to take the old one to a bearing supplier and match it with a new one, Andrea

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #13 on: 01 October, 2021, 08:36:03 AM »

As an update to this I took my car to the local garage to have a replacement clutch fitted today, they have just called me and said the spigot bearing behind the flywheel is seized so it seems JayDub was right - does anyone know the bearing part number or dimensions for an S2 so I can hopefully get one locally? Also they have said the rear main seal is weeping a little so worth replacing - if anyone can help with the part number for that too it would be really helpful.
Any bearing shop can match the seal and pilot bearing.... I think the rear seal  is 80x100x10mm TCI / R23 Double Lip Viton - but please check

Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
andyps
Megaposter

« Reply #14 on: 01 October, 2021, 01:04:45 PM »

Thanks for the replies, based on these and some things I found online from a couple of the Fulvia parts suppliers I bought a bearing and seal locally this morning and have dropped them off with the garage. Unfortunately due to other things booked in today they probably won't get chance to work on it until next week so no absolute confirmation I bought the right things - they didn't want to remove them yesterday without my agreement and I was a bit late getting back to them to sort it before they finished. If I've got the right parts I'll post the part numbers here to hopefully help others in future.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd