Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 06:21:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Series 3 coupe rear brake caliper hot  (Read 2367 times)
Oliveoils

« on: 01 March, 2021, 12:06:44 PM »

The nearside rear wheel is warm to touch following driving, and gets hot after heavy brake application.
Handbrake seems to be pretty free so suspect that the  caliper is sticking as unlike the offside caliper, this look like the original unit
My plan is to remove the caliper , clean it up and fit  a new seal kit if pistons are ok .
Any advice from the  experienced here would be appreciated, ie best source for decent overhaul kit , any additonal parts I may require and any pitfalls I may encounter.
Is it worth just biting the bullet and sourcing a new / refurbished caliper?
lancianut666
Permanent resident

Slow but rough

« Reply #1 on: 01 March, 2021, 08:29:25 PM »

Hi
I guess you will have to see how bad the pistons are... if they are original they will be getting a bit tired in there. Try Cavallito at oldlanciaspares.com for new parts
Clarkey

Fulvia Coupe S2 Flavia Coupe 1967 1.8 Kugelfischer Prisma 1.6 carb Y10 Fila Y10 Touring Dedra 1.8 Dedra 2.0 Turbo Appia S1
Kevinlincs
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 02 March, 2021, 07:19:33 PM »

Don't assume the caliper to be at fault, although it may well be. Often it's just a case of the pads being frozen to the housing as the rears get very little movement and often just seize themselves into place, the brake force being enough to move them against the disc where they stay.
Without getting the pads out and checking I wouldn't rush into anything just yet.

Flavia 815 coupe
Dedra turbo
Delta integrale
SanRemo78
Rebel Poster

« Reply #3 on: 03 March, 2021, 07:07:35 PM »

And don't dismiss a collapsing perishable hose?
Kevinlincs
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 03 March, 2021, 08:45:06 PM »

Yes, another possible suspect. They get smaller internally to the point that fluid can pass through under peddle pressure but that restriction keeps the pads pushed on.
To check if it is the flexi that prevents a piston going back in, if that's what you find, then open the bleed nipple and if the piston becomes easy to move back in then the flexi has collapsed.

Merely a case of being methodical.
Keep us posted how you get on  Cool

Flavia 815 coupe
Dedra turbo
Delta integrale
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd