Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 10:09:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rule of 9  (Read 2478 times)
Crag

« on: 24 November, 2020, 02:57:44 PM »

This is either a very intelligent or a very silly question - but does the Rule of 9 still work for the V4 engine of the Fulvia when you’re adjusting the valve clearances? Perhaps the two camshafts make a difference? Or is there a better way...I have to say that I’m struggling as this is this first car I’ve owned which doesn’t come with a starting handle to turn the engine over!
nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #1 on: 24 November, 2020, 03:25:36 PM »

The rule of 9 does not apply to V4 engines. If you raise with a jack just one wheel and engage top gear, turning that wheel by hand will turn the engine. Even easier if you also remove the sparkplugs. Valve gaps are usually adjusted  "back of cam", thus turn the engine and see which valve is against the round (flattish) area of each cam lobe. Use a flash light to see clearly. Adjustement is then straightforward. Engime must be cold (at least 3 h from switchoff), Andrea

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 24 November, 2020, 03:30:14 PM »

I look to see the heel of the rocker is on the bottom of the cam lobe and then adjust the tappet. You can do 2 valves (1 in 1 ex) at a time, then you crank onto the next pair. Spark plugs out and 24mm spanner on front pulley nut. You would be wise to check for "mushrooming" of the valve stem tip as you will not get an accurate setting with a feeler gauge if there is a dip. Normally only seen in high mileage engines but I have seen it in substandard after market valves in a very short mileage. If this is the case a short term fix is to use the 1mm thread of the tappet to set the gap. Wind in and back off 1/5 turn for .2mm.

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
Crag

« Reply #3 on: 25 November, 2020, 09:33:34 AM »

Marvellous! Thank you gentlemen; you’re like having my very own online Fulvia User Manual open on the bonnet...I don’t suppose that you go by the name of Alexa or Siri?...but could one of you please pass me the feeler gauge. Thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd