Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
18 April, 2024, 07:05:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Float level  (Read 10999 times)
Charles Frodsham
Megaposter

« Reply #30 on: 12 February, 2021, 03:06:07 PM »

That makes sense....as Richard described....one choke per bank for a double choke Solex. Hence on the 3B, a triple choke Solex , I assume it is one choke per cylinder pair, from front to rear.

As you have one “starter” choke hole, then it also makes sense then that one bank exhaust gets sooty relative to the other. Is it normally that noticeable? Maybe other owners could comment, or is your starter choke runnng continuously?

« Last Edit: 12 February, 2021, 06:36:14 PM by Charles Frodsham » Logged
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #31 on: 12 February, 2021, 04:01:54 PM »

Does anyone here know why only one bank of cylinders would need a 'starter hole'. Certainly when my PAAI 'starter' was partially stuck 'on' there was very bad sooting on all six plugs. I suppose if the hole in the photo could be closed off to prove a point. I have reliably heard that not all of the carbs in the triple Weber DCNL setup have a cold start device, but have yet to have a look at these and understand the reason why. I assumed all cylinders need a suitable cold start mixture. Will probably post a new thread regarding fuel injection, but does anyone know what injection system is available, as mentioned in the spec for uprated Aurelias with Flaminia engines which I have seen published? Richard

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #32 on: 06 December, 2021, 07:19:06 PM »

I would like to change my Solex 40 fuel level value 'N' from 24 mm to the recommended 18mm. There seems to be no 'tang' on the float arm to bend, so will install a thicker gasket at the mating face under the 'lid'. Initial thought was a 6mm gasket, before realising less than 1mm gives a 6mm difference in fuel level, due to the relative positions of float and inlet valve.
« Last Edit: 07 December, 2021, 10:31:51 AM by Richard Fridd » Logged

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
Kaha

« Reply #33 on: 07 December, 2021, 09:27:57 AM »

Does anyone here know why only one bank of cylinders would need a 'starter hole'. Certainly when my PAAI 'starter' was partially stuck 'on' there was very bad sooting on all six plugs. I suppose if the hole in the photo could be closed off to prove a point. I have reliably heard that not all of the carbs in the triple Weber DCNL setup have a cold start device, but have yet to have a look at these and understand the reason why. I assumed all cylinders need a suitable cold start mixture. Will probably post a new thread regarding fuel injection, but does anyone know what injection system is available, as mentioned in the spec for uprated Aurelias with Flaminia engines which I have seen published? Richard

Yes, the 3C setup uses two slightly different types of Webers, the rearmost one having a starter (choke) while the other two has none.
I have assumed that Lancia intended the choke to be used only at the actual starting of the engine and not when driving the car, which is more common to do for a brief moment here in northern Europe.
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #34 on: 13 December, 2021, 05:48:13 PM »

Fuel level now 18mm from casting face. I have used 1.6mm paper gasket material. Looking at the float, there does not seem to be much more room between the float and the gasket to allow the float to rise any further anyhow. Also those air bleed jets which I mentioned in an earlier post can be seen in the photo (top right and bottom right), and hidden when the 'lid' is fitted . The cold start has a new bracket and the idle adjustment has a flexi shaft which connects to a dash mounted knob.
2nd photo is hand throttle revision.
Richard

* 20211213_123245_resized-1.jpg (467.91 KB, 918x1632 - viewed 83 times.)

* 20220516_125854_resized.jpg (471.92 KB, 1632x918 - viewed 66 times.)
« Last Edit: 16 May, 2022, 07:04:04 PM by Richard Fridd » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd