Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 08:55:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Series 3 water pump seal replacement  (Read 3926 times)
DaveKennedy

« on: 25 October, 2020, 09:51:45 AM »

(modified on 2nd December to correct a few things)

Fixing the leaking water pump was the first job after getting my 1962 Series 3.
It didn’t go according to plan so here is what I did.
If there’s a simpler solution I’d be pleased to hear it because I have a couple more pumps that need new seals.

Despite some good advice from Don Cross ( his tech note is attached ) three things were difficult:
- removing the screws holding the backplate to the body
- removing the pin holding the impeller on the shaft
- fitting a new seal.  

OK, removing screws and pins are normal problems but I wasn’t expecting the seal problem.

This is what I found:

There seem to be at least 2 variations of the water pump that look the same externally.

One has a steel bush inserted in the pump body, and a ceramic-faced seal runs against that, with pressure applied by the impeller bush. This is the type shown in the parts list diagrams and in Don’s technical note. The 24mm dia seal supplied by the Consortium fits this type.

Another type has the seal inserted the other way round, with the ceramic face sealing against the impeller steel bush. There seem to have been at least two different sizes of seal fitted. It may be necessary to enlarge the recess in the pump body to fit the 24mm dia seal to this type.

Instead of machining the seal recess I bought a seal complete with seat from China (ebay link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/c/1218719860 or look for 10mm x 22mm x 26mm Rubber Bellows Pump Shaft Sealing Mechanical Seal from newcentury22 and other China/Hong Kong sellers)
The ceramic seat from that seal, in its neoprene mount, is 22.5mm OD and fitted neatly into the recess. I smeared some silicone grease on the underside to make sure it sealed well. I then used the Consortium seal but equivalents are on eBay.

Whichever way you do it, it’s vital to get everything positioned so that there is some small pressure (it doesn’t need a lot) holding the seal and face together. It’s easiest to do that after fitting the shaft and bearings and tightening the fan fixing nut – then the shaft will be in its final position and you can work out how much space there is between the seal recess and the impeller. You may need to cut down the impeller bush if it's too long or add washers if it's too short

A few photos are attached. I fitted new bearings too and the pump has been working for 3 months now with no problems.

Dave

* seal and seat from China.jpg (263.39 KB, 1032x1014 - viewed 227 times.)

* bare pump body.JPG (874.66 KB, 1936x1936 - viewed 228 times.)
* Don Cross Tech Note Water pump overhaul.pdf (80.71 KB - downloaded 137 times.)
« Last Edit: 02 December, 2020, 08:20:05 AM by DaveKennedy » Logged
lancianut666
Permanent resident

Slow but rough

« Reply #1 on: 27 October, 2020, 10:35:05 AM »

Hi Dave
Looks like you have nailed this problem well and truly great work.
Jim

Fulvia Coupe S2 Flavia Coupe 1967 1.8 Kugelfischer Prisma 1.6 carb Y10 Fila Y10 Touring Dedra 1.8 Dedra 2.0 Turbo Appia S1
sd39

« Reply #2 on: 01 November, 2020, 08:28:18 PM »

Ahh! I wished I'd read this before again, today, rebuilding the pump and putting it back on

I had the recess machined out a bit to take the seal and this housing and face is in good condition. I ran the engine and it seems to hold the water.

If it doesn't continue working, I will try this method 
Thanks
Simon

1960 Lancia Appia Series 3 Sedan, 1966 Lancia Fulvia coupe, 1980 Suzuki FZ50, Bob Jackson bicycle.
DaveKennedy

« Reply #3 on: 23 November, 2020, 09:04:55 AM »

Having now opened a pump where the old seal hadn't completely disintegrated, the originals were similar to the one supplied by the consortium. The seal was pressed into the recess with the ceramic face towards the impeller, then when assembled the impeller boss ran against that face.
I was originally told there was a hardened seat in the pump body and the seal was fitted the other way round - that's not right.

Simon's solution, enlarging the diameter of the recess, is best if you can get the machining done.

On the new seals there isn't much spring movement on the ceramic side, so the seal and the shaft have to be positioned accurately. There might be a better seal out there somewhere.

Dave.

MisterNick

« Reply #4 on: 30 July, 2021, 10:03:55 AM »

Hi, new to the forum, and have been looking around the boards and posts. Looking forward to becoming a part of it.
    My son and I are restoring an 1961 Appia Vignale Convertible and have been learning a lot on the way.

We will post up some details in the introduction area in due course.

The body is in the spray shop, and the engine is currently on a frame in the garage. We have had it running and sorted most of the leaks.

What appears to be the remaining problem is the water pump. It came with a new one, but it is leaking and we have been unable to dismantle it. I think we have now totally knackered it in trying.

It would seem our options are;
    1. Buy a new one. (ny recommended retailer would be appreciated)
    2. Recondition an old one.

We are leaning toward buying a new one but would appreciate any views advice.

Many thanks

Nick
lancianut666
Permanent resident

Slow but rough

« Reply #5 on: 30 July, 2021, 11:38:12 AM »

Old Lancia Spares has new pumps
https://www.oldlanciaspares.com/137-lancia-APPIA-sparepart-complete-water-pump.php
Clarkey

Fulvia Coupe S2 Flavia Coupe 1967 1.8 Kugelfischer Prisma 1.6 carb Y10 Fila Y10 Touring Dedra 1.8 Dedra 2.0 Turbo Appia S1
MisterNick

« Reply #6 on: 01 August, 2021, 10:20:39 AM »

Thanks for the link. I did try Cavalitto, but didn't get a response. I have resent the request and will see how I get on.

Nick
lancianut666
Permanent resident

Slow but rough

« Reply #7 on: 01 August, 2021, 07:29:38 PM »

Let me know if you are still interested as the Consortium has some spares to purchase and I have found they are pretty quick to respond
Clarkey

MisterNick

« Reply #8 on: 07 August, 2021, 04:10:08 PM »

Thanks, e-mail sent.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd