Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 11:46:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heater control cables  (Read 4043 times)
andyps
Megaposter

« on: 08 September, 2020, 09:58:34 PM »

Whilst replacing the heater control valve on my car I realised that the control cable wasn't working effectively. Tracing it through it seems to be that the outer sheath is no secured near the lever for the hot/cold slider so I guess it needs replacing. As far as I can see there doesn't look to be an easy way to access it so hoping someone can tell me how it is done - especially if it can be done without dismantling the whole dash.

The other question is where to get new cables, but better add I haven't phoned Omicron yet so hope they can help!
nthomas1
Rebel Poster

« Reply #1 on: 09 September, 2020, 08:42:39 PM »

Andy, there’s a lot of detail about replacing heater control cables in my S2 rebuild thread: Report on (Slow) S2 rebuild. Look at page 34 onwards.  My dash top was removed when I overhauled my controls. I can’t imagine how the job could be done any other way.

And, yes, Omicron have the cables. I had to replace my top one
« Last Edit: 09 September, 2020, 09:14:20 PM by nthomas1 » Logged

Norm Thomas
Ormskirk, Lancashire

Own:
1973 Fulvia S2 Coupe
Previous Lancias: S2 Coupe and S3 Coupe in late 1970s
andyps
Megaposter

« Reply #2 on: 10 September, 2020, 07:24:59 AM »

Thanks Norm, I must have missed that page so will have a read about it.

I did speak to Omicron yesterday and they confirmed that they do make the cables. I've decided to prioritise getting the car going and having a test drive, hopefully before the weather gets too bad and then I'll sort the cables over the winter when I don't want the car on the road anyway.
andyps
Megaposter

« Reply #3 on: 21 February, 2021, 10:12:13 PM »

Hi Norm,

Did you sort the cables for your heater? I'm trying to replace mine and can't figure how to access the one which operates the heater valve from the top slider. You mention that you can't access the screw and that is the same issue I'm finding, no way to get at it with everything where it is. I can see how to enlarge a hole in the glovebox for the screw for the cable from the middle slider, but the valve one has got me stumped! Any suggestions from anyone welcomed!

It's the screw which can be seen in this photo from page 34 of your thread

Also, looking at that I noticed that the control rods cross each other in this photo, is that correct as mine don't seem to cross but run sort of parallel to each other.
andyps
Megaposter

« Reply #4 on: 22 February, 2021, 11:11:10 PM »

Managed to sort it this evening, had to modify a screwdriver bit by drastically shortening it to almost no hex supporting section. That just about loosened the screw so I could pull out the old outer cable. I then had to figure how to get the new in place - there wasn't room for my fingers to manoeuvre it from the top so I pushed it all the way through from the bottom. The ratchet handle for the screwdriver bit was such a tight fit against the bulkhead it had stayed in place so I managed to reverse the ratch mechanism and tighten the screw. I've yet to attach it to the slider handle but the cable operates the valve.

A slow fiddly job but hopefully that cable is sorted now. Next one is enlarging the hole in the glovebox side to access the mount behind there.
Scott
Megaposter

« Reply #5 on: 23 February, 2021, 09:09:24 AM »

Oh dear ... you're all putting me to shame.
I've gotten used to having my heating 'off' normally but if it's a bit chilly I lean into the footwell and turn the valve manually to get the cabin toasty. Must get round to sorting that cable too...!  Wink
andyps
Megaposter

« Reply #6 on: 23 February, 2021, 12:00:11 PM »

Oh dear ... you're all putting me to shame.
I've gotten used to having my heating 'off' normally but if it's a bit chilly I lean into the footwell and turn the valve manually to get the cabin toasty. Must get round to sorting that cable too...!  Wink

Having replaced the cable I think you may well be taking the sensible approach with the way you currently do it!! I'm glad I've got it sorted (still got to connect the cable to the slider) but it is a frustrating job. I've worked a lot on Minis in the past and the Fulvia heater is worthy of Sir Alec Issigonis, I wondered if he was involved in the design or at least it was someone who trained under him who did it Smiley
nthomas1
Rebel Poster

« Reply #7 on: 23 February, 2021, 02:03:43 PM »

Andy - I didn't see your question until just now.  I'm glad you've managed to sort out the fixings.  It's a very fiddly job for sure! 
With regard to your question about the two control rods overlapping, I think that's correct.  If you look at page 26 of my thread you'll see pictures from GeoffJohnson and Jaydub (John Whyatt) with both showing a similar layout to mine. Cheers.

Norm Thomas
Ormskirk, Lancashire

Own:
1973 Fulvia S2 Coupe
Previous Lancias: S2 Coupe and S3 Coupe in late 1970s
andyps
Megaposter

« Reply #8 on: 23 February, 2021, 05:52:08 PM »

Andy - I didn't see your question until just now.  I'm glad you've managed to sort out the fixings.  It's a very fiddly job for sure! 
With regard to your question about the two control rods overlapping, I think that's correct.  If you look at page 26 of my thread you'll see pictures from GeoffJohnson and Jaydub (John Whyatt) with both showing a similar layout to mine. Cheers.

Thanks Norm,
When I put it together last night to check the cable worked I realised that they had to cross to be effective so I've done them that way and it does seem to work. I've checked on those pictures and mine is hopefully correct now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd