Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 10:49:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ciao from Torino, Italy - 1960's S3 Appia  (Read 4186 times)
Mattia_Tesse_81

« on: 28 September, 2020, 02:11:53 PM »

Hello everyone!

Let me introduce myself, my name is Mattia, and since last June 19th I became the owner of a beautiful Third Series registered in June 1960 with just 30,300 kms.
I'm delving into the history of this car (and I've discovered a lot of interesting things); at the same time I'm dedicated to restoring the mechanical part, starting from the complete revamping of rear axle.

I would like to share with you my friendship and experience.

I attach a picture taken on his first trip, in the old Lancia headquarters in Turin, Borgo San Paolo, during this past summer.

* SAM_6364.JPG (1595.52 KB, 4488x2384 - viewed 264 times.)
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 28 September, 2020, 04:06:39 PM »

Welcome to LMC!

Lovely car and lovely City!

We look forward to hearing more about your project.

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
sd39

« Reply #2 on: 04 October, 2020, 05:04:11 PM »

Hi

yes, welcome, and looking forward to seeing your posts
Simon

1960 Lancia Appia Series 3 Sedan, 1966 Lancia Fulvia coupe, 1980 Suzuki FZ50, Bob Jackson bicycle.
ITSA

« Reply #3 on: 04 October, 2020, 10:10:11 PM »

Hello Mattia,

That's a great picture of your Appia. I'm sure lots of people will enjoy reading about your progress with the planned restoration work.

Good luck with it!

- Chris

Chris
Prisma, Dedra & Flavias from time to time
Mattia_Tesse_81

« Reply #4 on: 05 October, 2020, 12:32:18 PM »

Thank you for the warm welcome!
This summer I have reconstructed the story of this car and I would like to tell it and share it with you...

First of all: why a Lancia Appia S3? The love story with the Lancia "medium sedan" of the Fifties and Sixties began, for me, during the visit of the evocative exhibition (set at the National Automobile Museum in Turin) dedicated to the 90 years of the Lancia Brand, in the winter between 1996 and 1997, and my passion grew up when I saw for the first time ever the body of an Appia Third Series entirely and finely restored in an elegant midnight blue livery (the color was called, more simply: "Blu Lancia").
I was astonished to say the least by the classical line, embellished by the absence of the central pillar, testimony of a daring structural construction for a carrier body, and in fact, the first patent in the world of this construction method is due to Lancia, who deposited it in 1922.
Due to the absence of the Internet, the only way I had to deepen my knowledge of this small, wonderful sedan, was to go to the small municipal library of my city.
After some research I came across some images and some information, from which I discovered that the car had a very refined mechanics, as far as the engine was concerned, a 1100 displacement, V4 with an angle of 10 to 14', single head and double camshaft in the engine base; for the front suspension, defined as a "sliding pillar" by English and American connoisseurs – where Lancia had a good market of loyal admirers – was well above average. I would have understood that the system, if neglected, became a source of unsightly oil leaks.

Of course, I promised myself that one day I would own a Appia.

Over the years, there were many missed opportunities: memorable, during the winter of 2001, a third series in Parioli green, on sale for less than a million Lire, a car that unfortunately I let myself get away with for lack of space.

End of first episode  Wink

simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 05 October, 2020, 02:01:50 PM »

I loved my little 3rd ser Appia, very useable and practical , hope you enjoy yours !

Love the photo in front of Lancia & Co

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
GerardJPC
Megaposter

« Reply #6 on: 27 October, 2020, 07:30:32 AM »

Ciao Mattia!  I am also recently converted to l'amore dell'Appia.

1962 Appia Berlina
1973 2000 HF Coupe
1978 Beta 1600 Coupe

1973 Fiat 124 Sport Coupe 1800
1981 Lotus Eclat S2
1982 Moto Guzzi V50 Monza
1982 Yamaha YB 100
1983 Land Rover SIII 88
2005 Alfa Romeo 156 Crosswagon Q4
2009 Jaguar XK 5.0
GerardJPC
Megaposter

« Reply #7 on: 30 October, 2020, 07:55:56 AM »

I love this guy -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCAcolBv05Q

1962 Appia Berlina
1973 2000 HF Coupe
1978 Beta 1600 Coupe

1981 Lotus Eclat S2
1982 Yamaha YB 100
1983 Land Rover SIII 88
2009 Jaguar XK 5.0
Mattia_Tesse_81

« Reply #8 on: 30 October, 2020, 08:18:51 AM »

SECOND EPISODE

Finally, on June 19, 2020, I bought the car I've wanted for a lifetime, and I started the investigation to find out more about her story.
The external conditions appear neglected only when looked superficially: the odometer marks just over thirty thousand and the five digits of the instrument could lead a distracted observer to think that the same has "done the rounds", looking also at the opacity of the outer paint, with the signs of a repainting that happened who knows when it is polished too many times or with too much energy, however many other very less noticeable clues defer to a good use.
In a storage pocket I found the leather keychain, also original.
It is still present on the rear window, as new, the sticker of the "Cavalleria Lancia", an ideal club conceived by Lancia in 1963 at the birth of the Fulvia, but intended for all Lancia customers and, as described by the House itself, was a union "without statutes neither members nor representative bodies, with only one purpose and a single flag: fairness, education, respect for others".
The interiors are protected by fixed-mounted two-tone leather linings (a fashion in vogue in the early 1960s) that have completely covered the seats and door panels.
Unusual clue: in the bar of the driver's side door, I found a Mobil label (brand of lubricants originally prescribed by the Manufacturer) summarizing a maintenance operation dating back to December 12, 1992, with 17,550 kilometers, for the replacement of motor oil, gearbox oil, differential oil and filters.
Other clues: the presence of deteriorable parts such as spark-plug cables, which are still factory ones, with cylinder-numbered aluminum band, completed with the radio anti-disturbance suppressors in bakelite: the whole thing is still perfectly functional.
The gas pump is a rare "SUP 80" Fispa, the same one mounted on the Alfa Romeo Giulietta, with brass "banjo bolt" fittings and copper-made tubes. The air suction filter found is marked Carello-Fram.
Considering everything with a careful eye, seems that this car wants to hide its history, hiding herself behind false tracks, as if inviting me to browse its pages, like a well-written novel.

END OF SECOND EPISODE Wink

* 023.jpg (962.36 KB, 3648x2736 - viewed 197 times.)

* 024.jpg (838.6 KB, 3648x2736 - viewed 220 times.)

* 028.jpg (683.53 KB, 3648x2736 - viewed 193 times.)

* 029.jpg (712.73 KB, 3648x2736 - viewed 199 times.)

* 045.jpg (673.95 KB, 3648x2736 - viewed 216 times.)
GerardJPC
Megaposter

« Reply #9 on: 30 October, 2020, 12:02:43 PM »

Many thanks for the detail and photos. Please tell us more!

1962 Appia Berlina
1973 2000 HF Coupe
1978 Beta 1600 Coupe

1981 Lotus Eclat S2
1982 Yamaha YB 100
1983 Land Rover SIII 88
2009 Jaguar XK 5.0
Mattia_Tesse_81

« Reply #10 on: 16 November, 2020, 02:40:53 PM »

THIRD EPISODE

After consulting the car documents, I discover that the first owner, Mr Piero Brovetto, has kept the car for almost forty years, from 1960 to 1998, another clue that, if put in relation to the label of the cutting found in the door leads me to draw a first, obvious conclusion: in 1992 the car was still in the hands of the first owner.
First consequential hypothesis: in 1992 the first owner still cared for the car, and it is therefore highly possible that in 1992 the car had only 17,550 kilometers.
The first owner resided in Turin in Saint Secondo Road, so I decide to go there to look for someone who could remember something, without any success.
I decide to entrust to the web the data in my possession: to my astonishment, I come across the website of the Italian Society of Physics, where I discover the touching tribute made by the Society on the death of Piero Brovetto, which occurred in 2013:

"Piero Brovetto was a leading figure in the evolution of Physics in Italy, first in Turin, as a prominent member of the National Institute of Nuclear Physics and then in Cagliari, contributing to the birth of the headquarters of the INFN in the Sardinian capital.
Piero had already distinguished himself as a student for his passion in the study of quantum mechanics, electrodynamics and statistical thermodynamics. He graduated from Turin in 1951 in Chemistry, his vocation for Physics allowed him to graduate in 1952.
After a short professional experience at the Donegani Research Centre in Montecatini, near Novara, he was hired as a researcher at the INFN in Turin.
From 1962, winning the competition to the chair of Higher Physics in Cagliari, he moved for several years between Turin and Cagliari, strengthening the links between the two Institutes of Physics, helping to maintain a high level of research and promote specific activities".

This article, very detailed and containing much of Piero's research and publications, allowed me to discover and have information about his wife, a Sardinian girl named Vera Maxia, born in Cagliari in 1924 and disappeared in 2017:

"Initially, in the middle of the war, Vera started the studies of Medicine, studies that had to be suspended due to the bombing of the city of Cagliari in 1943, displaced with his family in Isili, small municipality of the Cagliari province.
The events of the war deeply marked the soul of Vera, who had narrowly escaped death during the destruction of her home.
The period of displacement in Isili was an opportunity to meet a group of intellectuals led by Nicola Valle, journalist, writer and well-known protagonist of the post-war Cagliari cultural life, founder of the circle of "Friends of the Book" to which Vera linked many years of his life.
The return to normal life in the post-war period was not easy and it took some time for the family situation to allow her to resume her studies.
Because of the debate over the peaceful use of nuclear energy, Vera became interested in physics: sometimes, joking with friends, she remembered that Enrico Fermi had been his first love. He changed his degree and graduated in Physics in 1952, discussing a thesis on the spectroscopy of cosmic rays.
After some time, she obtained a position of Assistant to the Chair of Experimental Physics and later the Chair of Higher Physics, first held by Mario Deaglio, then by Augusto Gamba and finally by Piero Brovetto, of whom she was first a collaborator, then a life partner and then a consort in maturity.
Vera was with Piero with a deep and strong bond."

Encouraged to read these extraordinary careers, I decide to contact the Italian Society of Physics via the Facebook page, expressing the desire to know more about Piero and Vera.

END OF PART THREE  Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd