Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 09:11:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Y10 GTie (LHD)  (Read 37981 times)
Kevinlincs
Permanent resident

« Reply #45 on: 05 September, 2020, 04:59:44 PM »

Standard size should be 155/70R13 on yours, was on my gtie and the brochure agress. Smaller models came with 135R13.
The 175/70R13 will be too tall and overgearing it, 165/65s will be similar rolling circumference to the 155/70 but as you say the 155s are cheap as chips so why bother. Makes them more fun to drive too  Grin
As for brands most are of a decent quality nowadays.

Flavia 815 coupe
Dedra turbo
Delta integrale
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #46 on: 05 September, 2020, 06:33:04 PM »

I'm on 155/70 R13s all round on mine including the spare which is on a steel wheel. I ran 135s for a long time which I thought rather suited the Fire 1.0 engine but am perfectly happy with the 155s.
Kevinlincs
Permanent resident

« Reply #47 on: 05 September, 2020, 06:53:16 PM »

I'd think the 135s on a FIRE would be well suited, make for an entertaining drive. If I didn't have a set of decent 155/70s I'd look at them for mine.  Wink

Flavia 815 coupe
Dedra turbo
Delta integrale
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #48 on: 05 September, 2020, 07:58:34 PM »

Quick question - what size tyres are people using, on the car and the spare?
The car and the spare have 175 70 R13 on - the manual says it should have 155 70 R13 or 165 65 R13, and the spare should be 135 SR 13, but doesn't give a middle number. I need to change the spare tyre as this one won't fit under the bonnet - is it worth changing the tyres on the car (these ones are clearly too big)? And are there any specific ones to choose/avoid? They are all pleasingly cheap at this size.
If a middle number is not quoted it is fair to assume standard ratio (today 80 but would have been 82).

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #49 on: 05 September, 2020, 10:20:39 PM »

Quick question - what size tyres are people using, on the car and the spare?
The car and the spare have 175 70 R13 on - the manual says it should have 155 70 R13 or 165 65 R13, and the spare should be 135 SR 13, but doesn't give a middle number. I need to change the spare tyre as this one won't fit under the bonnet - is it worth changing the tyres on the car (these ones are clearly too big)? And are there any specific ones to choose/avoid? They are all pleasingly cheap at this size.
Amazed you can even turn the steering with those on, my GTie was heavy enough on the standard tyres, so much so my wife couldn't drive it, and the understeer into corners when the wheel loaded up!
Our Y10 fire was much nicer to drive, the Brazilian iron lump of an engine added to the wide wheels and tyres, spoilt the Y10 driving experience, and the improved performance didn't make up for that.
Brian
8227  Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
m tulloch
Megaposter

« Reply #50 on: 06 September, 2020, 04:26:43 PM »

Brakes, steering, suspension etc are covered in the Fiat Panda Haynes Manual which is handy to have because it doesn't tell you to get out a special tool to do something simple.

That's a good idea. There are a million on eBay, with a bunch of different years - I assume they are all basically equivalent?

I've got Haynes manuals for both the early & late Pandas in my garage going spare if you need them. PM me if you're interested.

Cheers.
Duncan23

« Reply #51 on: 06 September, 2020, 04:34:02 PM »

Thanks for the offer, but I've managed to buy the green one and the blue one on eBay for in under a tenner delivered - they should arrive in a couple of days
Duncan23

« Reply #52 on: 20 September, 2020, 12:50:43 PM »

155 70 R13 fitted today.  Made a massive difference to the low speed manoeuvrability and the the driving dynamics. Smiley £40 a corner as well - I got 5 tyres for less than the cost of 2 fronts on my daily. As an added bonus the spare now fits under the bonnet, but I don't seem to have a nut to hold it down in there - is there a special nut or is it just a case of finding something that fits and a large washer to hold the wheel?

The little drive I did in it afterwards was much nicer with these tyres, but it's not running quite right - it's fine with significant throttle or no throttle, but on light throttle it feels a a little jittery like it doesn't want to hold a constant speed. It also feels like it's running rich - there's a definite fuel smell, though it doesn't look like it's dripping anywhere. Could these be linked? I know nothing about this engine (will have to read the manual). It's not been driven much, and it isn't especially happy when first started, but when it gets going then it's fine.
The other thing I noticed was that on bumpy roads, and especially when not accelerating, the gearbox linkage was clanging quite a lot (like someone playing a triangle in there!). I know it's the linkage, because it goes away if I put my hand on the gear lever. Is this a known thing, and does it mean it needs adjusting (or bushings replacing or something)?
m tulloch
Megaposter

« Reply #53 on: 20 September, 2020, 03:24:23 PM »

Is it one of these you're after for the spare wheel?

* SAM_4955.JPG (281.65 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 244 times.)
Duncan23

« Reply #54 on: 21 September, 2020, 07:05:47 AM »

It looks like there's a bolt already installed on the strut top, so I probably just need a nut and the domed washer thing.
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #55 on: 21 September, 2020, 09:10:26 AM »

The spare wheel is retained by a large white plastic disc that screws onto the threaded post in the middle of the spare wheel as shown in an quick image search on google.

* image.jpg (151.06 KB, 960x640 - viewed 233 times.)
Duncan23

« Reply #56 on: 21 September, 2020, 11:53:06 AM »

I saw that, but I thought it was a metal thing similar to what Matt posted. I've had a dig through the spares that came with the car, and I don't have one - is it basically one of these?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-cavalier-Mk3-Spare-Wheel-Retainer-Nut/164360139532?hash=item2644a0b30c:g:Ri0AAOSwBXRfS7iS

I have the tool clip thing and the jack for the other side sat in the boot, so I'll try to install that later as well. Smiley
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #57 on: 21 September, 2020, 04:36:56 PM »

Yes it's like that but I couldn't guarantee that one has the same thread.

This might help with getting the tool carrier the right way round.

* Powder coated front panel.JPG (542.73 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 244 times.)
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #58 on: 21 September, 2020, 10:23:13 PM »

155 70 R13 fitted today.  Made a massive difference to the low speed manoeuvrability and the the driving dynamics. Smiley £40 a corner as well - I got 5 tyres for less than the cost of 2 fronts on my daily. As an added bonus the spare now fits under the bonnet, but I don't seem to have a nut to hold it down in there - is there a special nut or is it just a case of finding something that fits and a large washer to hold the wheel?

The little drive I did in it afterwards was much nicer with these tyres, but it's not running quite right - it's fine with significant throttle or no throttle, but on light throttle it feels a a little jittery like it doesn't want to hold a constant speed. It also feels like it's running rich - there's a definite fuel smell, though it doesn't look like it's dripping anywhere. Could these be linked? I know nothing about this engine (will have to read the manual). It's not been driven much, and it isn't especially happy when first started, but when it gets going then it's fine.
The other thing I noticed was that on bumpy roads, and especially when not accelerating, the gearbox linkage was clanging quite a lot (like someone playing a triangle in there!). I know it's the linkage, because it goes away if I put my hand on the gear lever. Is this a known thing, and does it mean it needs adjusting (or bushings replacing or something)?
It's worth replacing all the bushes etc of the gear change as otherwise you finish up not being able to tell even what gear you're in, on the back of the gearbox is a large swivel tree and an awful lot of the gear change problems emenate from wear there.
Well worth doing.
Brian
8227  Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Duncan23

« Reply #59 on: 22 September, 2020, 09:51:47 AM »

It's worth replacing all the bushes etc of the gear change as otherwise you finish up not being able to tell even what gear you're in, on the back of the gearbox is a large swivel tree and an awful lot of the gear change problems emenate from wear there.
Well worth doing.
Brian
8227  Cool
It's not covered in my Y10 manual - I assume it's the same as the Panda gear linkage? Is it the late model version like this one: https://www.ricambio.co.uk/gear-lever-linkage-bush-repair-kit-classic-fiat-panda-1
Are there other suitable parts suppliers before I venture onto eBay (ricambio only have the kit for the early models in stock).

Thanks for the picture Frank, the toolkit and jack fit nicely in the gap:
2020-09-22_10-49-55 by duncancmartin, on Flickr
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd