Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 09:19:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Solex Carb Refurb  (Read 4307 times)
colinw

« on: 24 July, 2020, 10:48:12 AM »

My Solex carbs on my 1800 Coupe are in need of service. The gaskets are wet and there are leaks here and there. Not having any experience of dismantling carbs I feel I should put the unit into  experienced hands who can clean and check items for wear and set them up correctly.   Although I have read that with a good manual it can be a done at home. Does anyone know of a good company who could undertake this task for me.?
I see that this company does such work:
www.colnblastcleaning.co.uk
Any advice most welcome
Thank you

Adamburton99

« Reply #1 on: 24 February, 2021, 09:23:12 PM »

Hi Colin, I'm looking for a similar service for our 2000 coupe Solex carbs. Can you kindly advise if you had any success & recommendations at all? Thanks!
BlueKSO

63 Flavia Coupe

« Reply #2 on: 25 February, 2021, 05:40:56 PM »

A company by the name of Gower and Lee used to advertise refurbishing carburettors, including Solex.  Not sure if they are still in business.

Cheers,  Peter
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 25 February, 2021, 06:05:48 PM »

A company by the name of Gower and Lee used to advertise refurbishing carburettors, including Solex.  Not sure if they are still in business.

Cheers,  Peter
They are but hold limited stock of Solex components. Prior to Brexit I would have recommended https://carburatori-italia.it/en/

But getting stuff in and out of Europe now is problematic and has a lot of addition cost.

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
colinw

« Reply #4 on: 25 February, 2021, 08:26:50 PM »

Hi Colin, I'm looking for a similar service for our 2000 coupe Solex carbs. Can you kindly advise if you had any success & recommendations at all? Thanks!
I have contacted Exeter Eng who seem quite keen but they say that gaskets may have to be made and parts are shared across different types of Solex carbs so replacements should not be a problem.  They want £175 for a service for my carb.  The plating people they use for cleaning up the parts are quite expensive though. I tested them with a simple chroming  job on a retaining ring around my headlight and they quoted £75, a third more than others quoting.
Hope this helps.
Adamburton99

« Reply #5 on: 16 July, 2021, 09:39:00 AM »

Thank you for your feedback on this- very very helpful
msh2908

« Reply #6 on: 12 November, 2021, 04:44:45 PM »

My Solex carbs on my 1800 Coupe are in need of service. The gaskets are wet and there are leaks here and there. Not having any experience of dismantling carbs I feel I should put the unit into  experienced hands who can clean and check items for wear and set them up correctly.   Although I have read that with a good manual it can be a done at home. Does anyone know of a good company who could undertake this task for me.?
I see that this company does such work:
www.colnblastcleaning.co.uk
Any advice most welcome
Thank you

bit of late response - sorry.  i used Coln Engineering in Gloucester to refurb the carb on my 1970 Coupe 2000 - they did a cracking job and the car now runs really well -  aided by a 123 ignition distributor.

Mark

higgsy 45

« Reply #7 on: 22 May, 2022, 10:44:02 PM »

Hi. I have a P/F 1800 coupe single carb version and recently bought a service kit from Ricambio in Ashtead about £35, It had all of the gaskets I needed plus a new needle valve (gave me grief) and the 2 main diaphragms plus some bits I didn't use. I fittted a new inlet filter and although it was running ok before it does seem a bit smoother, main spindle was in good nick.  Cheers. Dale
higgsy 45

« Reply #8 on: 22 May, 2022, 10:45:55 PM »

New to Forum I should look at the dates!! Dale
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 24 May, 2022, 12:42:06 PM »

This is very relevant to me although I realise that the thread started nearly 2 years ago!!
My 1800 single carb. Vignale has been struggling for some time (unused for 3 years) and it now seems to be telling me that enough is enough!!! Symptoms include a black exhaust, sooty plugs, an almost non existent tickover and stalling at any opportunity. In addition petrol is leaking past the diaphragm in the pump. Incidentally it will start without any choke at any temperature!!
 I have started investigating and this morning I have spoken to Geoff at Gower and Lee so, yes, they are still operating!! He has said that they carry the parts to address the problems I have described which include a new pump diaphragm, a new jet and the washer under the jet which is linked to the float level. Of note is that he insisted the first thing I do is check the fuel delivery pressure! I am investigating purchase of a Malpassi Filter King in line fuel regulator and filter with a built-in pressure gauge.
I would suggest that anyone struggling with carb problems could do well to look at the short thread started by a plea for help from me back in 2017!!
                                             Andy
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 24 May, 2022, 02:24:40 PM »

Looking forward to hearing the end result Andy.
Richard

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
colinw

« Reply #11 on: 24 May, 2022, 07:39:54 PM »

Hi Colin here
Sorry not to have brought you all up to date. I sent my Solex off to Gower and Lee and they have done a first class job as far as I can tell in refurbishing it.All beautifully clean with new gaskets etc. and machined where required. Set it up with a colour tune plug and she now shows nice tan colours on the plug. Certainly a filter king helps tremendously as the car now ticks over nicely without the rev counter needle bouncing around.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd