Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 11:16:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Electric Fulvia  (Read 7111 times)
GeoffJohnson

« on: 08 July, 2020, 02:15:33 PM »

I have just got round to watching a couple of episodes of "Vintage Voltage" that I'd recorded. The series is about converting classic cars to electric power at considerable expense. The first two episodes showed a Karmann Ghia VW (£30K) and a Fiat 500. On the list for future programmes is a Fulvia Coupe which I may have to watch from behind the sofa.
If you're interested the show can be found on Quest, Freeview channel 12 on Thursdays at 9pm

Geoff Johnson
Neil
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 08 July, 2020, 03:07:54 PM »

At the London Classic car Show in February there was a company who converted a Ferrari and FIAT 500 which they had on their stand who had completed a Fulvia too, it may be the same car, I believe it came from Ireland to be done, the cost was pretty high from memory.  Might be interesting even from behind the sofa!

Neil   

1973 Fulvia S2 1.3
MattK

« Reply #2 on: 08 July, 2020, 04:09:02 PM »

Spoiler alert!
I asked about this as I spotted it on Twitter earlier in the year.
They used a Hyper 9 motor, https://www.electricclassiccars.co.uk/motors/test-product via an adapter plate onto the original gearbox. 42kWh battery pack (16 LG Chem batteries) and a 7kW charge system. The brakes and suspension were also upgraded to take the weight.
Range apparently up to 150 miles on a charge, depending on driving style and conditions.
Price for conversion was in the region of £55k!
Cheers
Matt
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 08 July, 2020, 05:32:37 PM »

I didn't realise electric cars ran through a gear box or does it just run in one gear and reverse.
MattK

« Reply #4 on: 08 July, 2020, 06:44:34 PM »

I think that they connect the electric motor to the gearbox as its an easier adaptation Geoff.
Paul Johnson

« Reply #5 on: 18 August, 2020, 09:21:39 PM »

I’ve been waiting for the Fulvia episode to be broadcast, but after 7 episodes the series appears to have stopped.
Anyone any idea of when ? If?
Paul

Ex-1972 Fulvia
Current-1972 Fulvia S2
MattK

« Reply #6 on: 16 September, 2020, 11:24:45 AM »

Hi Paul
Yes likewise, but as you say, for some reason the show has stopped.
Will let you know if it reappears.
Cheers
Matt
rikardo
Megaposter

« Reply #7 on: 07 January, 2021, 11:30:54 PM »

The Fulvia edition of Vintage Voltage on Quest TV has re-appeared (Freeview channels 12 and 114 in HD, other networks are available Grin)....
9 Jan. 6pm - 7pm
9 Jan. 11pm - 0am
10 Jan. 8am - 9am

1992 Delta HF integrale
1993 Dedra integrale
and several Alfas
Jay
Megaposter

« Reply #8 on: 08 January, 2021, 01:28:57 PM »

It was on last night, personally I am not sure about classic electric conversions. They are not daily drivers and the engine and its noise is the heart of the car and all part of the experience, especially a Fulvia engine. But each to their own, the owner was obliviously into Lancia as his tow car was a Thema, so good on him.   

So they removed the engine, don’t know the weight but I can lift one so approx. 70kg and added 288kg of motor and batteries, most of which are right at the very front behind grill. Then the conversion guy after admitting never driven a Lancia before, kept on saying how much he improved the handling and driveability.

Julian Wood, Kingston, London
Mikenoangelo
Megaposter

« Reply #9 on: 08 January, 2021, 02:38:37 PM »

Pointless conversion as it is no longer a classic car.
A more worthwhile project would be to find a way of running our classics with their existing engine on hydrogen, much as is done with LPG. Obviously there are difficulties but if hydrogen infrastructure is created, and it seems to be regarded as a better option for long distance trucks than battery electric, there could be a way for classics to survive.

Mike
« Last Edit: 08 January, 2021, 02:41:06 PM by Mikenoangelo » Logged
Neil
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 08 January, 2021, 03:22:13 PM »

I have not seen the programme, but I did speak to company who did the work at the London Classic Car Show when we had a stand there last year, I won't quote the ball park figure it cost as he was not 100% sure, but it was a lot more than £20k from his memory.  They mentioned they had upgraded the brakes and suspension due to the weight gains, but did not elaborate how. They used the original gear box, but start off in 3rd then change to 5th if required. I assume much quicker acceleration than standard despite the weight gain and loss of boot space too. Not for me, maybe hydrogen would be the better option in the future, quick to refuel and no heavy batteries to lug about.

Neil   

1973 Fulvia S2 1.3
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 08 January, 2021, 07:35:58 PM »

I watched it and found it interesting. The base car wasn't by any means pristine which interested me but the owner wants it to use and lives in a city. Given the choice of a modern electric car for city driving or an electric Fulvia I can see the point.

New springs were manufactured tailored to the new weight of the car and the end result looked to sit with the correct ride height. There was no loss of boot space because the battery in the rear was fitted in place of the fuel tank. Most of the batteries were fitted above and beside the motor in the engine bay.

The torque and power of the electric motor copes with the extra weight and they seemed completely satisfied with the handling. The Owner of the company doing the conversion is a rally enthusiast and amateur competitor so should know a bit about what feels right. The amount of extra weight in the front seemed to be coped with.

If I followed it correctly the owner of the car wanted something akin to original performance, these conversions often deliver supercar acceleration, which is probably why it retained a useable boot instead of packing it with batteries.

The car was delivered to the workshop by the owner's father, who previously owned it, on a trailer pulled by a Thema (unless I was mistaken) and he arrived to test the finished article in a different Thema. I suspect it's a family who aren't short of the odd Lancia or two. Interestingly the father was Irish and the car, belonging to the son, looked like it was on French plates.
Kari

« Reply #12 on: 09 January, 2021, 10:40:45 AM »

I think the way to go is hydrogen. Already back in war time and in the late 40ties there were gas driven cars in Switzerland due to rationing of petrol. As a boy, I remember the carbage trucks passing our house were driven by compressed town gas. There were 3 ea. 40 liter gas bottles fitted at both sides of the chassis.

There were several solutions tried as seen by the photos of the Ardea and the Aprilia convertible.

Regards  Karl

* Apriliagas2a.jpg (486.74 KB, 1773x988 - viewed 183 times.)

* Ardea Gas2.jpg (799.06 KB, 1939x991 - viewed 176 times.)

* ON_lastwagen.jpg (712.62 KB, 1200x781 - viewed 178 times.)
Derek Creasy

Here's to sunnier days

« Reply #13 on: 11 January, 2021, 03:55:18 PM »

Despite some good fabrication work , I came away from watching the programme thinking it was a complete and utter waste of £50K , a perfectly good Fulvia and an hour of my time . How could he comment on the handling when he had never driven a Lancia before ? If you want an electric car then buy one , but don't ruin classics !

2000HF Coupe          1972
Fulvia Sport  1.3S     1968
Delta 3 2.0 Limited   2012
Neil
Permanent resident

« Reply #14 on: 11 January, 2021, 05:23:47 PM »

I’m inclined to agree!

Neil   

1973 Fulvia S2 1.3
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: