Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 01:32:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stainless steel 'spaghetti' exhaust manifolds from classiclancia.com  (Read 5391 times)
FERGTS246

« on: 23 May, 2020, 01:17:33 PM »

Hi, Has anyoine out there fitted classiclancia.com's 'spaghetti (mille miglia)' stainless steel exhaust manifolds?
Any decernable difference to power?
Thanks in advance
Chris
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 23 May, 2020, 04:03:29 PM »

FWIIW I have stainless "spaghetti" manifolds on various Lancias but OEM cast/mild steel system on my B12.

I would not want to mess with the baritone voice of the Aurelia.

SS has an annoying tinniness on some cars especially with extremely long runs. My Gamma is a point in case which should not be tinny at 2.5l 4cylinder, but my lower capacity Fulvias are not so.

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 23 May, 2020, 04:58:16 PM »

I would be interested to see a photo of Classic Lancias Aurelia exhaust manifold. They seem to do things properly.
I have fitted Bell complete s/s exhaust systems a few times and been pleased with the results ( a reasonable exhaust note without tininess which improves as the system gets it inner coating, Also no brittleness leading to cracking/splitting).
But the reality is a good mild steel system will always sound nicer.
Bell systems  use a tubular manifold which looks nice but it does nothing to enhance breathing. To get a correct 'tuned length' Aurelia manifold I believe that the individual pipes extend almost under the car separately before merging into one. I have seen one at Gamberini in  Bologna and my memory tells me that Cavalitto sell a 'special' exhaust manifold for Aurelias.

As an aside, my 1st series B20 which has a standard engine has a single side exhaust with special exhaust manifolds and down pipe 3 into ones , all in mild steel and it sounds great as well as seeming to breathe well......or is it an illusion because of the noise under the 'always open' passenger window?
Chris.

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
FERGTS246

« Reply #3 on: 23 May, 2020, 07:48:16 PM »

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

You can visit:  http://www.classiclancia.com/car-parts/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=156
to see the manifolds.

I've also attached an image.

Any other info/thoght will be gratefully received.
Chris O'C

* exhaust-manifold-system-lancia-flaminia-1-310x310.jpg (73.72 KB, 310x310 - viewed 876 times.)
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 03 June, 2020, 02:56:35 PM »

Here is an image of what Cavalitto sell as  racing 'Maglioli' manifolds. These look to be in mild steel.
Chris

* racing exhaust thumb_CAV386.jpg (4.29 KB, 120x90 - viewed 561 times.)

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
FERGTS246

« Reply #5 on: 03 June, 2020, 05:20:31 PM »

Hi Chris, Many thanks, I'll check them out.
Chris
impaw
Megaposter

« Reply #6 on: 03 October, 2020, 07:43:15 PM »

Definitely on my wishlist!

Torstein

1955 Aurelia B20
1966 Fulvia
1966 Fulvia rally/race car
FERGTS246

« Reply #7 on: 03 October, 2020, 10:28:26 PM »

Hi, Its a long time since I was told this, but someone said to me that these 'spaghetti' manifolds don't sound as good as the standard cast iron.
This may have been when fitted with stainless steel exhaust pipes and boxes as I can imagine that these may have that effect.
So when I get around to it, I'll be fitting the spahetti manifold with the standard exhaust.
Chris
Tony Stephens

« Reply #8 on: 04 October, 2020, 01:39:25 PM »

I had an interesting conversation with Ryan Edwards, the exhausts maestro at Bicester Heritage. His view was that there is no intrinsic noise difference between stainless steel and mild steel: that the difference is in strength, which encourages exhaust fabricators to use a thinner gauge steel to make the system easier to construct: and that's where the tinny noise comes from.
I know nothing: just reporting an expert's opinion.
FERGTS246

« Reply #9 on: 04 October, 2020, 01:46:45 PM »

Hi, thanks for that, very useful.
Chris
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 20 August, 2021, 10:09:42 AM »

Hi, Its a long time since I was told this, but someone said to me that these 'spaghetti' manifolds don't sound as good as the standard cast iron.
This may have been when fitted with stainless steel exhaust pipes and boxes as I can imagine that these may have that effect.
So when I get around to it, I'll be fitting the spahetti manifold with the standard exhaust.

Chris
                 Have you 'got around to it' yet Chris, or anyone else here? I was wondering about cost and availability. I did contact the Gough exhaust company yesterday, who gave a very swift reply. I can supply manifolds and downpipes as a pattern. Richard

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd