Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 09:02:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fulvia 3 coupe door roof pillar corrosion  (Read 2074 times)
Oliveoils

« on: 20 April, 2020, 08:01:38 PM »

Hi Guys, I am new to the club and Fulvia ownership. Have enjoyed lancia ownership before , But I am a fulvia rookie ! so...
Having removed the rear opening windows, and pillar stainless steel trim to treat what looked like superficial corrosion, I discovered that pillars both sides have rotted so badly that they are about four inches shorter than  they should be and are no longer attached to the b post. Is this a common issue as I have never come across this before ? If so, is anybody aware of repair sections available to undertake repairs?. I am currently looking to have new pillars ( very expensively ) fabricated and fitted. Clearly the job would be easier with ready made repair sections. or good used ones cut from a scrap spares car. Any heip or advice would be much appreciated.
Also whilst quizzing all you experienced owners out there, the steering column bushes need replacing desperately, But the steering wheel stubbornly refuses to part company with the shaft despite considerable effort on my part. Any ideas welcome before I break something.
nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #1 on: 21 April, 2020, 07:00:46 AM »

The rot you described is unfortunately not rare, however I am not aware of new repair sections available commercially. Steering wheel: ideally one should use a steering wheel puller that avoids damaging the steering wheel. This can remove even the tightest wheel. If not available, partially undo the center nut (but don't remove it yet) and then with a leather or copper faced hammer just hit the steering wheel on its arms. Andrea

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 21 April, 2020, 01:32:16 PM »

partially undo the center nut (but don't remove it yet)

That made me smile.

At least no airbag to fret over.

David Laver, Lewisham.
Oliveoils

« Reply #3 on: 22 April, 2020, 02:21:19 PM »

Thanks guys, re roof pillars  and steering wheel: , pretty much thought the only answer would be a puller. Just being tight, and trying to avoid having to buy one!
As for the  roof pillar , I  guessed unavailability of repair sections would be the case. Heartening to hear that this problem is not uncommon  as I thought i was just very unlucky. Clearly serious rot can go unseen here until it becomes quite advanced . Unlikely I know, but If anybody out there knows of a shell being broken where there is a chance of  me cutting and buying some good pillars , I would love to hear from you as this would save hours of labour in repairs .
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd