Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 07:43:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 or 4 post lift?  (Read 6238 times)
Paul Johnson

« on: 17 April, 2020, 09:08:19 PM »

What is the consensus on which is best?

and what thoughts are there on the over-wintering of a 50 year old Italian classic on a 2 post lift as opposed to a parking ramp?

Thanks

Paul

Ex-1972 Fulvia
Current-1972 Fulvia S2
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 17 April, 2020, 09:24:57 PM »

Depends on your set up ie how much space you have. I had to go 4 post as had limited width. 2 post are much wider.

2 posts have a link bar across the floor, whereas a 4 post can (should) get enough height to have most medium classics pass under neath.

2 posts have the advantage you can immediately start working on all four wheels as they hang in free space.

I am sure there are other pros and cons ......

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 18 April, 2020, 04:39:20 AM »

For me it was space - I only had the 1 option, a 2 post.
As Tim suggests it gives clearer access for working , but for long term storage/parking I suspect a 4 would be better

Either way, it has made a world of difference to my car-care-comfort

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
Martin9

« Reply #3 on: 18 April, 2020, 08:40:22 AM »

Paul,
I swear by a old Bradbury 4-post lift with wheels-free attachment. Mine was single phase, which was a bit slow but very convenient. Regrettably it was a victim of our downsizing a few years ago and it is very much missed.
Martin
SanRemo78
Rebel Poster

« Reply #4 on: 18 April, 2020, 08:54:20 AM »

Might also be headroom critical? A 2 post will probably be shallower but it allows the wheels to droop. Can you still get car 2 underneath or would you need to remove a pair of wheels?
For me there was no choice, the garage is fairly narrow (or the car too wide with a short wheelbase) so I couldn't us a 2 post lift as the swing arms wouldn't clear the wheels or would have protruded too far into the garage because of internal brick piers. As it was the 4 post lift was too wide but the perfect length for my garage. The solution involved cutting 6 inches out of the centre of the front and rear and welding it back together. Then some jiggling to assemble it! It's actually the perfect width now for a Gp4 Stratos!
Guy
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 18 April, 2020, 09:11:47 AM »

for me it was space which dictated a 2 post lift. One of the best things I have ever bought I have to say.
One other consideration is the floor load bearing.
Our garage in Italy was built for us 12 years ago with a thick layer of insulation in the floor. If I had gone down the 4 post route the floor loading would have probably been ok just down on the ceramic tiles and the concrete layers beneath but as my choice was a 2 post lift,  I had to dig down and construct deep floor pads with larger deeper studs set in these pads in 2 pack resin for safety's sake.
Chris

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 18 April, 2020, 09:32:36 AM »

for me it was space which dictated a 2 post lift. One of the best things I have ever bought I have to say.
One other consideration is the floor load bearing.
Our garage in Italy was built for us 12 years ago with a thick layer of insulation in the floor. If I had gone down the 4 post route the floor loading would have probably been ok just down on the ceramic tiles and the concrete layers beneath but as my choice was a 2 post lift,  I had to dig down and construct deep floor pads with larger deeper studs set in these pads in 2 pack resin for safety's sake.
Chris
Good point about loading. That was another consideration as my garage was also recently constructed of c100m reinforced concrete over similar depth insulation picking up on deep foundations. I guess I would still have gone down the 4 post route for this reason if width had not been a further issue. I suppose having a pit I never though a lift was critical. Only when a friend was selling a lightly used strongman low level 4 post for a reasonable sum I jumped at it. Rather than putting in extra foundations I had to reconfigure a steel roof tie bar so it did not squash my car on full lift.... Not sure my B12 will get underneath..... If I am desperate I can park it on it and move the ramps to the other end to drive it into the back of my garage....

* IMG_20200111_145517042.jpg (1013.39 KB, 2340x4160 - viewed 287 times.)

Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
Paul Johnson

« Reply #7 on: 18 April, 2020, 09:07:06 PM »

I am in the (fortunate) position of being able to go either way in terms of space/height etc. My primary issue is whether it is "ok" to keep an old car 🚗 off the ground suspended on its lifting points for a season a la a 2 post lift, rather than on it's four wheels -as it was designed and as would be the case if stored  for periods on a 4 poster?
I gather one advantage is that removal of wheels on a 2 post lift is straight forward as they dangle, but a jacking mechanism solves that problem on a 4 poster doesn't it!

The issue of cost might be a further factor; I'm unsure how they compare, but 2 posters seen more popular and obtainable and therefore maybe cheaper? They also appear to come up 2nd hand more often, but there again I'm not keen in raising my pride and joy up 3 meters off the ground on something that I can't be confident in😳
Thanks for your thoughts.
Paul

Ex-1972 Fulvia
Current-1972 Fulvia S2
SanRemo78
Rebel Poster

« Reply #8 on: 18 April, 2020, 09:30:09 PM »

I bought my 4 poster very second hand but overhauled with new lift cables. Installed it cost £1000 including a phase converter. It's been modified slightly - narrowed a little to fit the width of the garage - and with extra holes on each post for a bar to be inserted just in case the worst should happen.

frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 19 April, 2020, 11:34:24 AM »

If your priority is accessibility for working, particularly if stripping suspension I would choose a 2 post but if it's mainly raised storage 4 post seems more natural.
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 19 April, 2020, 04:26:12 PM »

What could go wrong dangling the wheels...   What limits travel?   Does anything nasty happen to dampers on full extension?

In terms of the structure of course it SHOULD be fine, and unless you're next to a busy railway to vibrate it constantly once its up and sagged that should be it.  Having said that I left an MG Midget in a garage one winter to open up in spring to find the sill covers had popped.  That same car went through a modern MOT (no poking) only for half the floor to come out with the seats when wanting to change the handbrake cable.  Underseal fine, paint inside fine, steel between the two dead.

The other worry is drips and dribbles onto the car below, and if the car below was covered that the cover was a benefit not a curse.

David Laver, Lewisham.
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 19 April, 2020, 04:38:13 PM »

If it is an HF Fulvia on full dangle that would mess up the top ball joint and its boot and also distort the cv boot and possibly pull it off if dangling for some time!

For storing a car 4 post is probably the best option as the only thing under stress are the tyres and this is overcome by increasing the pressure to c 35psi.

I personally would choose 4 post over 2 as you are relying on strong points on an old car of possible unknown internal structural integrity (excluding cars of course that have already been thoroughly structurally restored).

As you say working on wheels and suspension on a four post is made simple with a beam jack, and a four post can be made to do corner weighting, suspension setup etc just like garages....

Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #12 on: 19 April, 2020, 04:58:45 PM »

Yes Tim,
A 4 post would have been my first choice but in use my 2 post worksd very well.
And oil leaks? What oil leaks? Old Lancias don't leak oil!
Chris

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #13 on: 19 April, 2020, 08:36:05 PM »

Chris makes a good point about "the car below". Most 4 posters have section drip trays that can be fitted in the gap between the ramps.....

Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
Jai Sharma
Megaposter

« Reply #14 on: 19 April, 2020, 10:09:17 PM »

I also pondered this but went with a four post ramp in the end. I was worried about the depth of foundation required for a two post. My four post can also be moved around on wheels if required. I chose a small four poster from SJR garage equipment, who also came and installed it. It also has drip trays. I'm not sure I'd be happy with an old car sitting over winter on a two poster. The Fulvia engine is quite far forward and there isn't a lot of weight at the back.
I have a beam jack in case I need it although it is primarily for storage benefits. I really ought to have bought mine years ago.....
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd