Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 02:39:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Motorsport UK Competition licenses  (Read 7872 times)
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« on: 06 December, 2019, 04:02:36 PM »

I see that competition licenses are now needed for rallies, trials and driving tests, as well as for racing and hill climbs. Even passengers need them in most cases. How does that affect us at such venues as Goodwood? Or sliding pillar rallies, or Great Northerns? I imagine it will apply if we ever have driving tests again.

The VSCC has been told the following.

News from MUK
"News!,
New Motorsport UK RS Clubman licence from 2020

Dear Club Member,

For 2020 Motorsport UK is introducing the requirement for all competitors to hold a new RS Clubman licence as a minimum, which will be free of charge. If you compete, but don’t currently hold a licence you will need to apply for this. These changes will affect Autotests, Trials, Cross Country, Road Rallying, 12 Cars and Scatters. Passengers will also now be required to hold an RS Clubman licence.

The RS Clubman licence can be applied for online from 18 November and aims to encourage more grass roots participation, as well ensuring all Motorsport UK event competitors are covered by comprehensive insurance. Additionally, licence holders will have access to Motorsport UK’s Member Benefits Programme that includes the new upgraded personal accident cover."

I have applied for one, to be on the safe side - and to get a few pence off of every litre of fuel at Esso stations!

neil-yaj396
Committee
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 07 December, 2019, 08:36:46 AM »

I'd say that there is no competitive element to any of the current LMC events. Yes, a driving test event would probably tip the scale.

1979 1300 Beta Coupe, 2014 Ypsilon 1.2 S Series Momo
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 07 December, 2019, 09:33:15 AM »

I'd say that there is no competitive element to any of the current LMC events. Yes, a driving test event would probably tip the scale.
There often is - on the rallies. Not speed-related, but observational.
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 08 December, 2019, 12:23:03 PM »

My local club has a tour each year where they are not required (The Tour of Kent, part of a national series), the rest of the events we need them.

100pct its something each organiser is going to need to check, and then either change the format to avoid or ensure everyone has one.  I'd expect for LMC events it will be a question of "how to avoid the need". 

I've said to friends who don't compete but aspire to: "apply anyway".  Its free and quick and easy, they promise membership benefits and discounts, and I while I haven't seen the bit of paper yet to say "its a cool thing to have" its an icebreaker at a dull party.

It took me less than five minutes to fill in the forms online.  I expect its an action from an enquiry following some incident to appease the insurance companies.  The only real question was to self declare fit to drive, no epilepsy in particular. 

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
peterbaker
Permanent resident

www.retro-speed.co.uk

« Reply #4 on: 09 December, 2019, 12:57:12 PM »

All organised tours need to be registered for public liability purposes with Motor Sport UK. The Cotswold Economy Drive is registered, but no licence is required by drivers or their family to take part.

1961 Lancia Flavia 1.5 Berlina. FIAT Abarth. 1954 Daimler Conquest. 2003 MG ZT-T 135. 1998 SAAB 9-5 3 litre turbo.
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 09 December, 2019, 01:24:56 PM »

I've said to friends who don't compete but aspire to: "apply anyway".  Its free and quick and easy,

David

Where does is say it's free???

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 09 December, 2019, 05:18:30 PM »

Mine was free. 

This link still says "This licence is free of charge, entitles you to Motorsport UK’s comprehensive member benefits package, and will allow you to compete in following events run on a Motorsport UK Clubman Permit:"

https://www.motorsportuk.org/get-started/2020-rs-clubman-licence/

There's some clarification there regarding the medical questions.  There seems to be a "not fit to drive but ok as a passenger" category and at what point you need to apply by post.

I'm not an organiser (have "helped", but with "grown ups" doing the tricky stuff, I've never had to engage with the insurance side at all) so can't say at what point a treasure hunt becomes a scatter rally or what the current "best practice" might be to ginger up a scenic tour without tripping over the regs.

David Laver, Lewisham.
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 09 December, 2019, 05:43:28 PM »

Thanks David

I also have applied as it was so easy...... Not sure what it will cover me for though....

Tim

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 09 December, 2019, 10:21:11 PM »

Hopefully some discount type benefits, and you are now "a competition licence holder", ooooerrrr!!!

You can now start a 12 car rally in either seat, and have a go at an AutoSolo.  

I'd travel a long way to see that Stratos replica of yours at an AutoSolo...   I went to see one for the first time recently and was surprised how long a course.  I thought it was a quick wiggle in a little box.  They had the whole of the Brands paddock for one section, almost a minute to get round.  Quite quick in places but all a long way from anything to hit so those who over cooked it did no more than flatspot tyres.  Not a lot of difference between that and a sprint somewhere like North Weald airfield. A turbo charged MX5 takes some beating, a TVR made the nicest noise, a Lotus Exige and a 911 there.  

Just had a quick look for a 12 car rally overview.  This isn't bad:

http://www.southseamotorclub.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/SMC-Beginners-Guide-to-12-Car-Navigational-Rally.pdf

A clip on "book reading light" is pretty good.  I use a torch with sweet wrappers over to get the light level high enough to read but not too bright for the driver or night vision to recover quickly looking out the window again.  I NEED to look out the window a lot to be comfortable.  The top navigators have a bright light but never look out, they just rely on the driver to call the landmarks.

Daytime, for our local club, its timed to the second and much slower.  The night ones are flat out really.  Drivers in the day get frustrated by horses, bikes, tractors.  Often able to "press on and catch back time" which then gets a bit exciting for the navigators.  Daytime navigators often juggling lots of clocks and a pair of trip meters but POSSIBLE to win with just the standard trip meter in the speedo.  Seen it done twice.  In fact we did it once so that's three times.

« Last Edit: 09 December, 2019, 10:39:15 PM by DavidLaver » Logged

David Laver, Lewisham.
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 09 December, 2019, 10:26:05 PM »

Not sure how much use it will be to me but I've just applied for mine as well.
Not sure how the Kop Hill Climb Stands on this as it's non competitive, but rather a demonstration run.
Brian
8227  Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 09 December, 2019, 10:42:14 PM »

A plug for the SunDAY rallies:

https://www.blackpalfrey.co.uk/index.php/regruns

The handbook is for an idea of what the experts are up to.  A first timer gets every help, you'll KNOW the route before you start.  Objective on the first event is "not get lost" and that, on a good day, might get 3rd.  Use a soft pencil to cross the route as you go.  You say "ignore the next right" and as you go past it put a line on the map.  Beats the "move your finger along" method.  Spotting what's a road and what's a track or a driveway is the problem.

12 cars at night happen all over the country.  I've heard there are others in the day but the distance some travel for ours makes me think they're rare.  Daytime scatter rallies might be more common...  Anyone here know?

« Last Edit: 09 December, 2019, 10:49:05 PM by DavidLaver » Logged

David Laver, Lewisham.
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 09 December, 2019, 10:56:56 PM »

Autosolos.  Just found this and it rings true.  Course is long and flowing and easy to follow.  I didn't see anyone get lost for all some clipped cones and picked up penalties.  It looked quicker than just 1st and 2nd gears, that's going to depend on the car...  Very sociable, very much "fuss free way to have some fun" rather than lots of frost between rivals for the championship.

https://www.mgcc.co.uk/motorsport/autosolo/

David Laver, Lewisham.
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #12 on: 10 December, 2019, 03:16:30 PM »

I think that might be out of date, as it states that no license is required. The main difference between driving tests and auto solos, is the lack of reversing in the latter.
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #13 on: 19 January, 2020, 05:25:37 PM »

Esso and the 5p per litre discount. Does anyone here know how this works? Is it a case of presenting the RS card at the point of payment? Richard

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #14 on: 19 January, 2020, 06:01:16 PM »

Not sure how much use it will be to me but I've just applied for mine as well.
Not sure how the Kop Hill Climb Stands on this as it's non competitive, but rather a demonstration run.
Brian
8227  Cool
Now received my licence, surprised its all FOC!

Brian
8227  Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd