Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
17 February, 2020, 09:02:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Augusta progress  (Read 1322 times)
Mikenoangelo

« Reply #30 on: 31 December, 2019, 08:32:03 PM »

The tube is the main piston rod of the shockabsorber which is a good sliding fit in the bottom pivot of the sliding pillar so nothing can protrude from the outer surface of the tube. I wonder whether the screw might have originally been stopped by the end of the thread but that this has been made deeper than it should be by some misguided person running a tap in to clean the thread? Or perhaps the screw was soft soldered in place.

Mike
Kari

« Reply #31 on: 01 January, 2020, 04:50:56 PM »

There is no history of the valve becoming loose. The screw is spring loaded via the ball and for additional safety, loctite or similar can be added. The original drawing does not show anything securing the screw.

Regards Karl

* 34-5580.jpg (295.8 KB, 1876x1192 - viewed 10 times.)
Mikenoangelo

« Reply #32 on: 01 January, 2020, 10:00:10 PM »

Mystery solved Karl - thanks for the drawing.     In the drawing it does look as though the screw should be stopped by the end of the thread and on the left side suspension of my car this is the case and the ball is still free to move with the screw fully tightened. On the right side, which has the end cap of the lower suspension pivot displaced, the cap screws further in until stopped by the ball contacting the inner stop pin. So is seems that my guess about the thread having been cut deeper is right - so Locktite it is!

Happy New Year to all - I've had my Salmson out today for 110km on a locally organised NYD run (a tradition local members of the VSCC have maintained since 1980) followed by a pub lunch in magnificent sunny weather.

Here are an Alvis 12/50, Chenard Walcker, Vauxhall 30/98 and the Salmson at the pub.

Mike

* New Years Day 2020.jpg (234.72 KB, 640x480 - viewed 50 times.)
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2018 Lancia Motor Club Ltd