Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 11:58:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Italian Sized front number plates  (Read 4737 times)
Paul Greenway
Megaposter

« on: 11 August, 2019, 01:44:31 PM »

Does anyone know the correct size of an Italian front number plate (early 70's) and where to purchase a UK version (black & silver) of one. I have just purchased a number plate support for my Fulvia Sport and wish to fit a small number plate.

Has anyone who has this set up fitted had any issues with DVLA/Police/HMRC regarding them?

All advice appreciated, thanks.

1972 Fulvia Sport 1600

Previous- 78 Montecarlo, 83 HPE VX, 88 integrale, 89 Delta GTie, 90 Y10GTie, 90 Dedra 2.0ieSE, 91 HF Turbo, 91 integrale 16v, 09 Thesis Centenario, 12 Delta 2.0M-J
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 11 August, 2019, 02:38:55 PM »

Does anyone know the correct size of an Italian front number plate (early 70's) and where to purchase a UK version (black & silver) of one. I have just purchased a number plate support for my Fulvia Sport and wish to fit a small number plate.

Has anyone who has this set up fitted had any issues with DVLA/Police/HMRC regarding them?

All advice appreciated, thanks.
Paul,
I've had a small plate fitted for about 15 years with no problems, story as I've heard it regarding the legality is that if you have the original small mounting it's OK, but I've never seen anything in writing so it maybe an urban myth, nonetheless it's never been a problem.
I had a motorcycle front number plate made, but it fits on rather than in the recess, but no one has ever commented about it.
Brian
8227   Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
peterbaker
Permanent resident

www.retro-speed.co.uk

« Reply #2 on: 11 August, 2019, 02:42:08 PM »

Agreeed never had a problem with officialdom. My Flavia front plate is motorcycle size.

1961 Lancia Flavia 1.5 Berlina. FIAT Abarth. 1954 Daimler Conquest. 2003 MG ZT-T 135. 1998 SAAB 9-5 3 litre turbo.
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 11 August, 2019, 04:04:56 PM »

The only area you may have problems with is at MOT time because the law is very grey. The readability is not an issue as silver on black motorcycle (trials) is readable at the correct distance. It is the size of lettering..... well it maybe that the law says so but concedes if the car /vehicle was originally manufactured with a small plate/and mounting it can have a smaller plate. But it is ambiguous. So if your Italian car came with a small mounting you could legit fit a "trials". But we know that cars made for the UK or other Non-Italian markets observed the local laws and supplied the cars with appropriate larger number plates. (Have you ever wondered why Alfas sported hideous UK number plates offset.....).

Anyway I have a few legit Lancias from Italy with small plates and a few where I have converted to small plate. For years my MOT man said nothing about it until last year when he said I should put the full size one on for the test (I keep a full size one in the boot.....).... Anyway I have forgotten to do this before recent tests and i guess the cars being older than 40 years means it really does not matter...

Tippers in Cornwall provide an excellent service and all you need to tell them is the size of the plate to reg no. copy of V5 and define what radius for the corners if fitting into a small number plate holder.

They also do slightly small font silver/black rectangular plates for the Italian rear plate surround.

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
Paul Greenway
Megaposter

« Reply #4 on: 11 August, 2019, 04:31:41 PM »

Thanks guys for your comments.

My car was first registered in Padova but at some point has lost its original mounting surround. When I imported it I had a normal sized UK black & silver rectangular plate for the front & square plate for the rear from Tippers. I have now sourced & purchased the original small type mounting for the front. I will keep the larger one in the car for MOT's but will purchase a small one for normal road use & see how long I can 'get away with it' for.
Cheers.

1972 Fulvia Sport 1600

Previous- 78 Montecarlo, 83 HPE VX, 88 integrale, 89 Delta GTie, 90 Y10GTie, 90 Dedra 2.0ieSE, 91 HF Turbo, 91 integrale 16v, 09 Thesis Centenario, 12 Delta 2.0M-J
brian
Megaposter

« Reply #5 on: 11 August, 2019, 05:01:01 PM »

I have small motorcycle plates on Aprilia, B10 and Flavia Sport and the only comment was on the Golden 50 Rally (celebration of first RAC Rally in 1982) when PA at one of the venues highlighted the possible illegality but I have never had any other comment - even MOTs.

Brian Hands

1922 Hands Tourer
1934 Augusta standard saloon
1938 Aprilia S1 saloon
1953 Aurelia B10
1965 Flavia Sport
Martin9

« Reply #6 on: 11 August, 2019, 05:13:36 PM »

I have found https://www.tippersvintageplates.co.uk/ to be very helpful in specifying and supplying plates for my Aprilia.

I've no connection with the business, except as a happy customer.

Good luck.

Martin
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 11 August, 2019, 05:24:41 PM »

I have found https://www.tippersvintageplates.co.uk/ to be very helpful in specifying and supplying plates for my Aprilia.

I've no connection with the business, except as a happy customer.

Good luck.

Martin
Same here Tipper's supplied mine as well, and Mot's have never been a problem.
Brian
8227  Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
colinw

« Reply #8 on: 12 August, 2019, 04:49:54 PM »

Can concur with those who have their plates made by Tippers. I too am very pleased with their product.  My Flavia has a chrome surround to the front and rear plates to hide the raw edges and if you give them the dimensions of the surround they will make the letters to fit into the space left without encroaching.
Also give them the corner radius required.
I am sure you shall be happy with their workmanship.
All the best
Colin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd