Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 12:10:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio fitment ; Options ?  (Read 13839 times)
ncundy
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« on: 26 February, 2008, 11:20:25 AM »

I am looking for advice on car radios.

My car is a ’69, delivered in Jan 1970. Originally it did not have a factory fit radio, but soon after someone (a gorilla judging by the installation !) fitted a Voxson 8 track that is the correct vintage. I was intending to use this as I assume with Voxson being Italian, that they would have been the factory option. However it is un-repairable (the guts are rusted out). I am looking for a period after-market set and considering either another Voxson (but there are few for sale – I suspect because they are not that good) or a Becker (either Europa Stereo or Mexico). Most of the Becker units from around 1970 are DIN standard, but they seem to have an adaptor plate that gives the appearance of a DIN size set (and would require a DIN aperture in the dash). An advantage of these Becker units is that they have an aux:in so will take an MP3 adaptor with no modification (apparently ?)

Does anyone have any experience of these sets, and is the adaptor plate removable so that it would fit through a standard dash aperture?
Does any one have an OE radio in their Fulvia, if so what is it?

Neil

1969 Fanalone, Mazda RX-8, Fiat Multipla
nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #1 on: 26 February, 2008, 02:11:20 PM »

Hi Neil,

Several people would argue that it is difficult to have good radio reception in a Fulvia especially if driven fast. Noise suppression is a complex task. This was discussed in the Viva-Lancia web page at length in the past. In addition, fitting the speakers might mean painful surgery to the interior. On two of my Fulvias I have period radios (only MW in those days) which are now well over 35 y old: they work in a fashion, but in reality they are almost useless. Cheesy
Best regards
Andrea

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
ncundy
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #2 on: 26 February, 2008, 02:38:44 PM »

Hi Andrea,
I agree with the first two points ! but I was pretty successful in my last two fulvias to get a reasonable sound. I am not aiming for hi-fi perfection, just some recognisable sing-along noise will do (I do like my music )!! The car already had the door mount speakers in. I have a set of OE speaker covers, which I have put in the new door card I have made. I have thrown away the old door speakers and fitted new 2-way 4.5 inch speakers. I made up an adaptor plate for them, which fits in the existing speaker recess in the door frame, so no modifications at all were necessary. I have also used the original factory fit wiring for power. So now I just need a head unit that is period, will drive the speakes and has an aux:in capability. It has to look contempory and require no cutting or modification to the dash to install - hence the question about the supposed early DIN spec units.
Neil

inthedark
« Reply #3 on: 26 February, 2008, 03:56:46 PM »

To be honest with you, you need a radio with spindle controls to look right.
I have a couple salvaged from other cars and they are correct for the age &
have AM/FM as well as stereo cassette  (you can get a cassette that works
as an aux input with a mini stereo jack fitting).
PM if you wish and I'll give you a phone number.
regards
Geoff
eyore
« Reply #4 on: 27 February, 2008, 08:38:52 AM »

Neil, I have a Blaupunkt Bremen in my 1966 Si which  is definitely a period radio .I think is an original  fitment although I cant be 100% certain, however it certainly looks the part.
ncundy
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #5 on: 27 February, 2008, 10:20:26 AM »

Eyore,
Yes - thats the kind of look I need, and Geoff is of the same mind as me about the spindles etc.
Geoff,
Thanks for the offer - I have a line on a Becker Radio at the moment (should know at the weekend if it is on). If it isn't I will PM you if that is OK.
Thanks for the help gents.
Neil

RhysHF
« Reply #6 on: 27 February, 2008, 10:57:52 AM »

Neil,

I too have looked at the Becker Mexico but was put off by the expense, in the end I dropped a spare radio I had in to the glovebox and left the original radio (which still works) in place in the dash.

During my investigation I did come across a chap who can possibly istall aux ports on to old radios. The unit I have in my car is a Radiomobile 1070, the guy I found can install to a Radiomobile 1085 and Motorola 114 which are both period units, his conversion costs £38.00 plus P&P.

The guy is called Alan (I have no surname) and he can b contacted on 01702 547753 evenings and weekends.

Hope this helps

Rhys
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 27 February, 2008, 11:55:23 AM »

Slightly off the subject, but does anyone have an oval speaker for the centre of the silver panel below the crash pad, for series one Fulvia Berlina/ coupe? they wouldn't mind selling to me, I have 2 good period radios but I haven't been able to track down a speaker. TV ones have been suggested, but the fitting holes would need modifying.
The people who convert old radios by putting modern innards in them only do the radios, no one seems to do speakers.

Brian

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
inthedark
« Reply #8 on: 27 February, 2008, 01:04:30 PM »

Brian,
try maplins they do a range of speakers & I'm fairly sure one of the sizes fits.
ncundy
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #9 on: 27 February, 2008, 07:45:46 PM »

Rhys,
I am also put off by the cost of a decent Becker Mexico - they seem to hover around €400+. I have now found that there is a cross over Europa model that is stereo and also non-DIN so I am chasing down one of those (they also have a seperate amp). They seem to be a lot cheaper.
Brian
I had the same problem with my door speakers. For the correct size speaker the PCD was smaller for the fixings. I got round this by making up an flat adaptor plate out of aluminium that I put the speaker in with recessed fixings, then I could make the PCD of the adaptor plate the same as the speaker aparture in the door frame. Worked a treat.

* DSCF1841-1.JPG (161.17 KB, 800x600 - viewed 509 times.)

fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 27 February, 2008, 10:43:51 PM »

Thank you for the information Gentlemen, I'll have a look at both suggestions.

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 28 February, 2008, 09:14:17 AM »

Have you spoken with John Savage on the subject? He's a radio expert and has a lot of experience with Lancias. His address is in the 2000 Register of Members, even if his 'phone number isn't!
 Regards, John
ncundy
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #12 on: 28 February, 2008, 12:52:15 PM »

Thanks for the tip, my father knows John very well so I will enquire.

ncundy
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #13 on: 03 March, 2008, 07:01:06 PM »

Well, thanks for the advice and offers of help. I have got what (I hope !) I wanted. A pre-DIN series Becker Europa Stereo (one of the first stereo radios), separate amp and aux input built only in 1969/70 before moving to DIN standard - my car was delivered  Jan 31st 1970 to its first owner. Cost was a grand £25 - I am assured it works, we shall see  Tongue

* new radio1.jpg (36.97 KB, 500x375 - viewed 1294 times.)

* new radio2.jpg (38.88 KB, 500x375 - viewed 405 times.)

* new radio3.jpg (41.29 KB, 500x375 - viewed 534 times.)

inthedark
« Reply #14 on: 03 March, 2008, 08:17:18 PM »

If memory serves me right, the seven pin socket is for a cassette player.
( I could of course be wwwwwwwrrrrrrrrrong, sorry hard to admit )
Geoff
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd