Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
19 March, 2024, 10:09:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fulvia Dashboard  (Read 5641 times)
KeithWade

« on: 07 March, 2019, 11:11:19 AM »

I have just successfully applied a new mahogany veneer to an existing plywood dashboard if anyone is thinking about doing the same and wants to discuss aspects of it, problems encountered etc........
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 07 March, 2019, 12:31:41 PM »

Perhaps you could write this and the clock up as a VivaLancia snippet or long article so it becomes a permanent record.
Tim

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
KeithWade

« Reply #2 on: 07 March, 2019, 04:44:09 PM »

Yes Tim..I might just do that.....
jmspear

« Reply #3 on: 07 March, 2019, 09:42:31 PM »

I am about to change the KPH speedo to mph in my lhd Fulvia 1600 series 2, any tips on dashboard removal, I have read the how to guide on the site, plus I might do the wood "whilst I am in there" so any top tips greatfully received thanks John was it easy or a pig (removal and veneering)
KeithWade

« Reply #4 on: 08 March, 2019, 09:21:17 AM »

Mine is a 1973 series 2 1.3s. It is an imported European car but was originally bought by a Brit in Italy and then driven to the UK and registered as a UK car later that decade. It was re-shelled in 1975 after the original owner rolled it but he used most of the original parts to re-build it including original engine and gearbox. My late father and I bought it in 1999 and dad did a full nut and bolt restoration and also converted it to right hand drive. Some of the parts he used were from a UK series 3 donor car. He also used the white faced Veglia instruments from the donor car. The original ones were black Veglia. Someone had also replaced the original dash clock (I think) with a centre winder Kienzle type (black faced) but it looked OK. Thankfully we kept the original instrument panel and obtained some spares also.

This brings me to the dashboard. He told me that the original one was plastic (and left handed) so the one he used for re-build was a wooden one from the UK car. I have read about people veneering plastic ones though and with some success. Hs finish wasn't too bad but he over sanded a little in some places and the finish was a bit too orange for me. I've never liked the white faced dials though....personal preference. They were at least in MPH whereas the originals would have been KPH.

My objective was to improve the cosmetics of the dashboard and I have to say I'm pleased I did. I carried out the following:

Added new mahogany veneer to the dash face. I used the glue-backed iron on type and sourced this via Ebay. I read about various scalpels and methods beforehand but found patience and care to be the key to be honest. I really took my time with this. I finished this by applying a single coat of teak oil and six coats of yacht varnish applied with a good quality soft brush, sanding between each coat. I used an old but still sharp craft knife, Stanley knife, drills, jigsaw and sandpaper to get the veneer right.

Replaced the white Veglia dials with black Veglia dials. Not too tricky though had to make a small change to the speedo cable connection which was very slightly different and properly clean the circuit board and all connections after checking/replacing bulbs.

Replaced the clock with a matching black-faced Veglia model with the correct low positioned winder.

Removed the radio altogether and replaced it with a 'Fulvia' script panel.

All in all not too much of a pig to do as long as you're methodical. I removed the top section dash surround which made removing the dashboard easier of course. Four nuts all of which I was able to fairly simply do once I found them. Two of them are a few inches either side of the heater vent on the top panel, which is spring loaded and removable. The other two are near the facing edges, one of which is easily accessed from the glove compartment.

Just a note on instrument panels. I did consider fitting a complete 'Jaeger' unit (black faced) from my spares but understand that connections are different somehow so was pleased to have the original Veglia set.

Good luck. Happy to advise where I can.......[/img]
KeithWade

« Reply #5 on: 08 March, 2019, 09:39:27 AM »

Also useful if your existing dashboard is wood, stabilise this first as there is likely to be delimitation of the existing panel. Mine wasn't too bad but as I applied and worked on the new veneer, the back of the panel did suffer in parts, normally fine spelks. I stabilised the whole edge of the existing panel with standard wood glue and then used the same glue to re-stick the various spelks  back into place. The facing edge wasn't too bad so I simply fine sanded that to clean it up and provide a bit of a 'key' for the glue on the new veneer.

* IMG_3823.JPG (1917.4 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 422 times.)
KeithWade

« Reply #6 on: 08 March, 2019, 09:41:47 AM »

For those of you who are concerned....the Fulvia is not presently upside down  ha ha......
Jaydub
Megaposter

« Reply #7 on: 08 March, 2019, 08:10:53 PM »

Great looking interior. Well done!

1600 HF. S2.
KeithWade

« Reply #8 on: 09 March, 2019, 09:22:29 AM »

Thanks...no idea how the pic is upside down..!

* IMG_3823.JPG (1917.4 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 380 times.)
KeithWade

« Reply #9 on: 09 March, 2019, 09:23:13 AM »

Still upside down..? How strange.......
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 09 March, 2019, 04:27:52 PM »

Australian mahogany on the dashboard?
KeithWade

« Reply #11 on: 09 March, 2019, 07:32:47 PM »

Spell mahogany which i think is African..?

* fullsizeoutput_b9b.jpeg (2454.11 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 479 times.)
KeithWade

« Reply #12 on: 09 March, 2019, 07:33:56 PM »

Tried changing the picture through 180 degrees before attaching it but no difference. How odd..?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd