Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 10:53:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bosch starter pinion  (Read 3599 times)
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« on: 26 March, 2019, 01:22:16 PM »

Being somewhat disturbed by the price and apparent fragility of Consortium Bronze pinions (as OEM) I am considering getting some made in steel.    All other starter pinions that I have come across are steel and I wonder if there is any reason why Bosch used bronze for this starter and any reason why one should not use steel?

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 26 March, 2019, 05:08:49 PM »

Is it to save wearing the flywheel ring gear?

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
Kari

« Reply #2 on: 27 March, 2019, 09:22:59 AM »

Same problem with the Augusta. There, the teeth are cut directly into the flywheel material, there is no separate ring gear. Using a steel dog will only accelerate the wear on the flywheel.

I don't know if the Lambda has the same system, but if so, I think the only permanent solution would be the installation of a hardened ring gear and using a steel dog. I did so on my Augusta.

For starter motors with the Bendix drive, it's important to have a good, fully charged battery for starting. It helps to prevent the dog bouncing off the teeth on the flywheel, which is the main cause of damage to dog and flywheel.

Regards  Karl
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 27 March, 2019, 02:21:00 PM »

Is it to save wearing the flywheel ring gear?
Yes, that's the idea. I believe that the Lambda's system engages the pinion more gently than the Augusta's, which is thrown in at full power. I would rather wear out the pinion than the starter ring as it's easier and cheaper to replace.
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 28 March, 2019, 04:50:19 PM »

I actually did replace my starter ring, sourcing one - the last one, alas -  from the USA.    Some sort of tractor I think it was.   The Lambda pinion is first protracted by an auxiliary coil, rotating very gently and then full power is applied.    Unfortunately, the full power coils tend to retract the pinion again!

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd