Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
27 April, 2024, 11:27:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I finally have a Fulvia!  (Read 45706 times)
nthomas1
Rebel Poster

« Reply #135 on: 29 August, 2023, 08:46:10 PM »

I used these putty strips from Woolies - rolled them out to an appropriate thickness and applied them to the boot opening.   I think they are labelled as body caulking on the Woolies website.

* IMG_2919 copy.jpg (779.46 KB, 1533x1479 - viewed 47 times.)

Norm Thomas
Ormskirk, Lancashire

Own:
1973 Fulvia S2 Coupe
Previous Lancias: S2 Coupe and S3 Coupe in late 1970s
IanC

« Reply #136 on: 30 August, 2023, 06:01:56 AM »

Thank you all, it shows our thinking is aligned in that we believe we should put something in there.  Although I have to say I’m still quite amazed at the condition on the lip in the boot floor.
IanC

« Reply #137 on: 30 August, 2023, 07:48:27 AM »

I have finished the rebuild of the master cylinder and am about to refit it.  With the seal kit came a new cap for the reservoir.  When you compare old and new it’s obvious the old one is quite tired so the new one should be fitted.  But the new one doesn’t have a vent hole, whereas the old does.  I can see a reason for both versions, but think it should be vented.  Any thoughts either way on this?  Thank you

Ian
Wangler
Megaposter

« Reply #138 on: 30 August, 2023, 08:33:28 AM »

I have finished the rebuild of the master cylinder and am about to refit it.  With the seal kit came a new cap for the reservoir.  When you compare old and new it’s obvious the old one is quite tired so the new one should be fitted.  But the new one doesn’t have a vent hole, whereas the old does.  I can see a reason for both versions, but think it should be vented.  Any thoughts either way on this?  Thank you

Ian
The way I see it is that a closed system might cause a problem, whereas a very small vent in the cap is tried and tested over decades. The enemy of brake fluid and indeed the whole system is moisture, as most brake fluids are hygroscopic. That said, there have been some developments for certain DOT rated fluids that greatly reduce this issue.

Fulvia Coupe 1976
Fulvia Coupe 3 1975
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #139 on: 31 August, 2023, 08:26:27 AM »

As I said there is no part number for the cam alone. I think the allen keyway may be to assist installation. If you try to remove (pull out) in situ there is a shim washer under the worm drive that could fall off into the engine.

Thank you again for clarifying.  I received an original Lancia drawing from Robert with useful dimensions relating to the actuator and its engagement with the pump.  The drawing suggests that if you are struggling to achieve the dimension then you should machine the spacer to suit.  I’m going to give this a go as it was my original thought and clearly something the factory allowed.  I’m still not clear on why this issue exists because the cam face does bot look work.  All I need to do now is work out how much to reduce it by.

This came up on ebay.it.... Nice cam on end....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325351634564?hash=item4bc077f684:g:MAQAAOSwpdJjKyyn&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4ID%2FunYbO3kU1vi9TP%2BlzEuAosVA9uLAjtEr8fvEayUhRdwLdYBrJbA5TxswwI2qVwoxyeyjrXOdHWaOEzP3UnL5D1fKtLexXG8KdXUxbMRgSusEUa3IYNFZjUvygQ%2BxD0Fs87ynCdttXsrLWsSbHV%2BxmfRzVUk7dopOZyWaIDbf3geWNp%2BD6drPOymFY2AzXjNv6dT0pVslhzCw7eqBymBIJ4hjiw%2BeL%2FKXqjyCE0QpEmvmNyPpp03%2FQZGvGpRdA8Ea4hepsmHtc%2FbzLxGDD9fnAIBy0ZuZ10xL6xnVrHWo%7Ctkp%3ABFBM3o6Lq8li

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
IanC

« Reply #140 on: 31 August, 2023, 08:25:19 PM »

As I said there is no part number for the cam alone. I think the allen keyway may be to assist installation. If you try to remove (pull out) in situ there is a shim washer under the worm drive that could fall off into the engine.

Thank you again for clarifying.  I received an original Lancia drawing from Robert with useful dimensions relating to the actuator and its engagement with the pump.  The drawing suggests that if you are struggling to achieve the dimension then you should machine the spacer to suit.  I’m going to give this a go as it was my original thought and clearly something the factory allowed.  I’m still not clear on why this issue exists because the cam face does bot look work.  All I need to do now is work out how much to reduce it by.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325351634564?hash=item4bc077f684:g:MAQAAOSwpdJjKyyn&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4ID%2FunYbO3kU1vi9TP%2BlzEuAosVA9uLAjtEr8fvEayUhRdwLdYBrJbA5TxswwI2qVwoxyeyjrXOdHWaOEzP3UnL5D1fKtLexXG8KdXUxbMRgSusEUa3IYNFZjUvygQ%2BxD0Fs87ynCdttXsrLWsSbHV%2BxmfRzVUk7dopOZyWaIDbf3geWNp%2BD6drPOymFY2AzXjNv6dT0pVslhzCw7eqBymBIJ4hjiw%2BeL%2FKXqjyCE0QpEmvmNyPpp03%2FQZGvGpRdA8Ea4hepsmHtc%2FbzLxGDD9fnAIBy0ZuZ10xL6xnVrHWo%7Ctkp%3ABFBM3o6Lq8li

Thank you for this but it says Series 3 and mine is a 2.  No idea of what the differences are if any..
IanC

« Reply #141 on: 31 August, 2023, 08:27:11 PM »

Ian
The way I see it is that a closed system might cause a problem, whereas a very small vent in the cap is tried and tested over decades. The enemy of brake fluid and indeed the whole system is moisture, as most brake fluids are hygroscopic. That said, there have been some developments for certain DOT rated fluids that greatly reduce this issue.

Thank you, I agree so will be making a small hole as per the original.
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #142 on: 31 August, 2023, 08:36:22 PM »

Thank you for this but it says Series 3 and mine is a 2.  No idea of what the differences are if any..
No difference

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
IanC

« Reply #143 on: 06 September, 2023, 10:46:41 AM »

I fitted the new fuel tank yesterday, which was another good step toward getting the car running.  When I say 'fitted' it’s not quite correct as I could only get six of the ten bolts to line up.  I recall mention in a previous discussion about this issue so guess it’s not unusual, although it feels a bit off paying over £600 for something that doesn't fit…….
IanC

« Reply #144 on: 06 September, 2023, 11:53:46 AM »

I guess a little getting with a rotary burr will enlarge the holes in the right direction, which leads me on t9 the next challenge.  I think I’m in the middle of giving up on the mechanical fuel pump due to this anomaly with the actuator.  A few of you have recommended just going to an electric pump such as a Facet.  There is a Red Top kit supplied by Tanc Barrett which seems to be configured for the Fulvia and doesn’t need a pressure regulator.  Seems like a good fit.  Now, I’m not a bad engineer, quite practical, but have always been defeated or befuddled by electrics so the big question is, how easy would it be for me to wire this in?  Also, where have all of you fitted them, is there a standard place?  Grateful again for any thoughts, instructions,photographs, diagrams etc etc
Thank you

Ian
Wangler
Megaposter

« Reply #145 on: 07 September, 2023, 08:14:28 AM »

I guess a little getting with a rotary burr will enlarge the holes in the right direction, which leads me on t9 the next challenge.  I think I’m in the middle of giving up on the mechanical fuel pump due to this anomaly with the actuator.  A few of you have recommended just going to an electric pump such as a Facet.  There is a Red Top kit supplied by Tanc Barrett which seems to be configured for the Fulvia and doesn’t need a pressure regulator.  Seems like a good fit.  Now, I’m not a bad engineer, quite practical, but have always been defeated or befuddled by electrics so the big question is, how easy would it be for me to wire this in?  Also, where have all of you fitted them, is there a standard place?  Grateful again for any thoughts, instructions,photographs, diagrams etc etc
Thank you

Ian

On Page 2 of this thread there's a photo of a typical mounting position. Some people like to mount them under the car near the fuel tank, but I like to put things where I can keep an eye on them, so mine is pretty well in the same position as the one in the photo.

Regarding wiring, obviously it should be via the ignition feed, but I would use a relay with an in-line fuse. I would take the feed for the relay from the fusebox (can't remember which one but it's fuse no. 8 or 9 - just use a cheap circuit tester to determine which one). The "outlets" are on the top of the fusebox.

Oops, sorry - correction!  I didn't use a relay on mine. I took the feed from the lower terminal (the unfused side) then added an inline fuse - no relay used.

« Last Edit: 07 September, 2023, 09:05:41 AM by Wangler » Logged

Fulvia Coupe 1976
Fulvia Coupe 3 1975
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #146 on: 07 September, 2023, 08:40:21 AM »

I fitted mine in the boot too it hides behind the plastic trim (but mine is a Sport so different trim configuration?).

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
IanC

« Reply #147 on: 02 October, 2023, 12:43:16 PM »

On Page 2 of this thread there's a photo of a typical mounting position. Some people like to mount them under the car near the fuel tank, but I like to put things where I can keep an eye on them, so mine is pretty well in the same position as the one in the photo.

Regarding wiring, obviously it should be via the ignition feed, but I would use a relay with an in-line fuse. I would take the feed for the relay from the fusebox (can't remember which one but it's fuse no. 8 or 9 - just use a cheap circuit tester to determine which one). The "outlets" are on the top of the fusebox.

Oops, sorry - correction!  I didn't use a relay on mine. I took the feed from the lower terminal (the unfused side) then added an inline fuse - no relay used.

Thank you, I had completely forgotten about that picture.  I’m glad someone is paying attention!

[/quote]
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd