Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 12:36:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I finally have a Fulvia!  (Read 44760 times)
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #30 on: 23 November, 2018, 01:57:12 PM »

Here's mine which I think is a pretty typical set up for the pump. It's a Facet Silver Top. I haven't yet got around to fitting a Filter King but these tend to be mounted by drilling and bolting through the lip that overhangs above on the wheelarch box section. Since this photo was taken I have replaced all the piping with the original style green transparent type. I was convinced by an opinion of long time Fulvia owner Chris Gawne. That was the fact that he has known rubber piping to develop unseen cracks that he has seen spray fuel, whereas although the plastic type hardens over time it never cracks. Looks nicer too.
My filter King came with a bracket that is ideal for mounting where suggested.
Personally I still like the belt and Braces of the priming pump if ever the mechanical pump fails, as a matter of interest my pump isn't a Facet, and it is also fitted adjacent to the fuel tank.
Brian
8227  Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
IanC

« Reply #31 on: 23 November, 2018, 08:50:48 PM »

Here's mine which I think is a pretty typical set up for the pump. It's a Facet Silver Top. I haven't yet got around to fitting a Filter King but these tend to be mounted by drilling and bolting through the lip that overhangs above on the wheelarch box section. Since this photo was taken I have replaced all the piping with the original style green transparent type. I was convinced by an opinion of long time Fulvia owner Chris Gawne. That was the fact that he has known rubber piping to develop unseen cracks that he has seen spray fuel, whereas although the plastic type hardens over time it never cracks. Looks nicer too.

Perfect, that’s really useful Stanley.  Many thanks

Ian
IanC

« Reply #32 on: 23 November, 2018, 08:52:42 PM »

Personally I still like the belt and Braces of the priming pump if ever the mechanical pump fails, as a matter of interest my pump isn't a Facet, and it is also fitted adjacent to the fuel tank.
Brian
8227  Cool

Thanks Brian, was there a particular reason for mounting in that location, avoiding heat etc?
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #33 on: 24 November, 2018, 01:19:40 AM »

Brian
8227  Cool

Thanks Brian, was there a particular reason for mounting in that location, avoiding heat etc?
No particular reason as far as I'm aware, I just asked the people who look after Fay for me to fit one.
I'm not even sure what make it is, but it's been fitted over 10 years now and it's never missed a beat, at least not up to now!
Filter King was fitted mainly because of the rubbish I was still getting through from the tank at the time, previously I had one of the chrome and glass inline filters, but it had a habit of persistently undoing itself and spraying petrol about!
Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #34 on: 24 November, 2018, 07:27:06 AM »

Some electric pumps are described as pushers and some as pullers. I think the Facet type (both the cube style used mostly for priming/backup, and the type like Stan has fitted) are described as pushers and are optimum near the source of fuel hence fitted in the boot but I have fitted both types to a lot of Lancias in the engine bay and so long as the head it trying to pull is not more than 30cm it works fine. The bonus is you can hear the pump  work and pull fuel through if using it for priming so when its beat slows down you are good to go. While it has been stated that plumbing in is in parallel to the mechanical pump I prefer serial so fuel filter before the electric pump before the mech pump. If using a silver top style Facet instead of mechanical then as it has its own fuel filter in its base I fit a filter king to provide secondary filterering and pressure regulation between the pump and carbs.

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
IanC

« Reply #35 on: 24 November, 2018, 07:19:28 PM »

Brilliant, thanks Tim, this is such useful advice. One of the reasons for trying to eliminate as many potential issues as possible is that my lovely wife has decided the car is so pretty she might like to use it. I want it to work without fuss.  I am grateful for all of your comments regarding the reliability of points and the mechanical pump, but each can have issues and there are simple effective ways of eliminating them without changing the character of this beautiful car. 

Thank you again

Ian
SanRemo78
Rebel Poster

« Reply #36 on: 24 November, 2018, 10:59:58 PM »

And that's why I've stopped using stainless steel braided hose on the Stratos replica, especially under the higher pressures an electric fuel pump can generate. Having seen the atomisation a split pipe causes when it sprays through the braided hose. I'd always recommend using the latest fuel injection hose whatever system you have, it'll be resistant to unleaded fuels and will last.
Guy
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #37 on: 25 November, 2018, 06:35:55 AM »

And that's why I've stopped using stainless steel braided hose on the Stratos replica, especially under the higher pressures an electric fuel pump can generate. Having seen the atomisation a split pipe causes when it sprays through the braided hose. I'd always recommend using the latest fuel injection hose whatever system you have, it'll be resistant to unleaded fuels and will last.
Guy

Good point but just to clarify a carb pump is at 3psi and an injection pump is at 10bar. Avoid the cloth braided hoses as well.

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
IanC

« Reply #38 on: 25 November, 2018, 08:21:13 AM »

Thank you and good point about the ethanol issue.  Is suppose I should replace the fuel line end to end with modern material to resist the ethanol.
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #39 on: 25 November, 2018, 08:53:50 AM »

As Tim suggested, I avoid any cloth braided rubber fuel hose these days as this is what I have had a couple of problems with. I have thrown away all my unuised cloth braided fuel hose as well. The cloth braiding disguises the degradation of the rubber hose but when it goes, the fuel spray travels far and wide. Very dangerous.
Chris

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #40 on: 26 November, 2018, 10:14:37 AM »

Ian, as you're trying to 'future proof' your Fulvia you might want to look at this post I put on the forum some time ago. I can't claim any credit as I was following an article by Neale Shepherd in VL. But it is something that's simple to do and gives you peace of mind.....

http://www.lancia.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=9972.0

1971 Fulvia 1.3S 'Leggera'  1999 Lancia Lybra 1.9JTD LX SW
Jaydub
Megaposter

« Reply #41 on: 26 November, 2018, 05:01:52 PM »

Vehicle Wiring Products are one of the suppliers selling "CODAN 3133 SAE J30 R9 " E10 rated Ethanol resistant fuel hose. Rated at 10 BAR pressure. It`s not cheap at £16.00 per metre inc. vat & delivery, but supposed to last 25 years and cheaper than a fire!

1600 HF. S2.
IanC

« Reply #42 on: 26 November, 2018, 08:56:36 PM »

Vehicle Wiring Products are one of the suppliers selling "CODAN 3133 SAE J30 R9 " E10 rated Ethanol resistant fuel hose. Rated at 10 BAR pressure. It`s not cheap at £16.00 per metre inc. vat & delivery, but supposed to last 25 years and cheaper than a fire!
Thank you.  Has anyone replaced the fuel lines end to end and have comments on how easy this is.  Anyone using the Millers additive to counter the Ethanol issue?
IanC

« Reply #43 on: 26 November, 2018, 09:01:06 PM »

Ian, as you're trying to 'future proof' your Fulvia you might want to look at this post I put on the forum some time ago. I can't claim any credit as I was following an article by Neale Shepherd in VL. But it is something that's simple to do and gives you peace of mind.....

http://www.lancia.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=9972.0
Thanks Stanley, that's a worthwhile read and a job to add to the list but to be done earlier than some of the others.

Ian
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #44 on: 26 November, 2018, 09:38:37 PM »

I use Millers VSP. Used to use Castrol Valvemaster Plus but can't get that here in France. My UK stash ran out in 2013 so been using Millers for 5 years.  Apart from valve protection they claim it counteracts ethanol problems. So far no evidence of any problems in the fuel system. You could still take the belt and braces approach and use the piping mentioned too.

1971 Fulvia 1.3S 'Leggera'  1999 Lancia Lybra 1.9JTD LX SW
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd