Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 03:52:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flaminia Transaxle oil  (Read 3325 times)
Charles Frodsham
Megaposter

« on: 13 August, 2018, 10:23:35 AM »

I am just about to do an oil change on my gearbox. Trying to find the best oil to use. What do you guys use?

I have been told a EP90 is correct, so far have found Classic Castro’s EP 90 which is GL4, Millers suggested their classic EP80W90 also GL4. FUCHs Mild EP90 Classic SAE90 for gearboxes with soft metals/brass/bronze but only GL3.

Any help gratefully received!
FERGTS246

« Reply #1 on: 28 October, 2020, 12:07:38 PM »

Hi Charles, I found this advice online for gearbox oil plus most, if not all, servicing requirements at:
http://www.geocities.ws/jeandebarsy/Servizio.html

GEARBOX
Needs servicing every 10.000 kms or two years. I use 4.1 litres oil Esso XP COMPOUND EP 90. There's an oil filter element which should be cleaned, but it's hard to retrieve it without damaging it. Thanks to it's own oil pump, the gearbox lasts forever. A Flaminia gearbox is displayed at the Briggs Cunningham Museum in the USA....
To check the oil level, use the dipstick located on top of the gearbox. There's a removable plate in the trunkfloor to reach it.

From memory I couldn't find Esso XP COMPOUND EP 90, so bought Castrol Classic EP90 Mineral Based Multi-Purpose Extreme Pressure Oil, but yet to do the oil change. Again from memory 'Extreme Pressure' was the most important spec.

Chris
Jay
Megaposter

« Reply #2 on: 28 October, 2020, 01:50:54 PM »

Hi Charles

For whats its worth, i used Millers classic 80w GL4, as I only drive about 1k a year i haven't renew the oil for at least 4 years, although i do check it every year and it''s always looks as fresh as it comes out the tin.

Thanks

Jay 

Julian Wood, Kingston, London
Charles Frodsham
Megaposter

« Reply #3 on: 30 October, 2020, 09:43:02 PM »

Thanks guys for the info. That’s a really useful link for Flaminia owners.

This was posted a couple of years ago. I used Millers EP80W90 GL4 in the end. Managed to clean the integral filter successfully too.
« Last Edit: 30 October, 2020, 09:47:16 PM by Charles Frodsham » Logged
FERGTS246

« Reply #4 on: 31 October, 2020, 03:33:17 PM »

Hi Charles, Glad you got it sorted.
Any advice on getting the filter out undamaged?
Best
Chris
Charles Frodsham
Megaposter

« Reply #5 on: 02 November, 2020, 03:01:36 PM »

Hi Chris

It’s a while ago now, but I can’t remember it being an issue. I think I had to jack the car up a little, otherwise the De Dion link gets in the way. The filter had done its job, and was cleaned with petrol....a fine gauze, but it was fairly robust.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd