Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 06:05:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Y10 Wanderings  (Read 40580 times)
Duncan23

« Reply #90 on: 04 October, 2020, 11:59:55 AM »

That's looking good, and really interesting to see the differences between your previous seats and the new ones. What age car were your original seats from?
Mine feel quite saggy - I've not got them out yet, and the material is frayed on the drivers side, so I suspect I'll be looking for some more at some point (I assume the material is no longer available).
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #91 on: 04 October, 2020, 12:52:17 PM »

The seats with springs underneath are "E" reg 1987. I'm not sure what year the Alcantara ones came from. Maybe Trevor can advise. If you flip your seats up as if you were getting in the back then you should be able to see which type you have.

I found the wire and springs tended to cut into the foam making the seats saggy. I improved them by unclipping the back cover at the bottom and sliding pieces of hardboard in for extra support. You may be able to make it out in the picture. You can't get a piece in to cover the whole bottom in one go so I did a narrow bit in each side then a broader bit to fill in between them. Over time one of the side bits has shifted to the middle so If I did it again I would do something like using a bit of gaffer tape to stop the boards shifting.

If your seats are the grey and black chequered cloth I have saved the covers from the back seats which are largely unworn. My thinking being that there might be enough cloth to patch at least the base of a front seat. The centre and side bolsters have different cloth, the sides being a smaller cheque.

I haven't looked for new cloth but you never know what may be available from a professional trimmer. Alternately, if my old covers are of use to you they are available. I hate throwing away anything that might be useful. (Which is why I can barely move in my garage from 40 years of bits that might be useful one day!)

Here is a comparison of the old and new seats when only the passenger seat had been installed.

* seats comparison (Small).jpg (85.92 KB, 640x480 - viewed 456 times.)
nyssa7
Megaposter

« Reply #92 on: 05 October, 2020, 08:44:12 AM »

The Alcantara seats came from a GTie, most likely a G reg

2000 kappa coupe 20vt
1996 kappa saloon 20vt race car
the "Yntegrale"
1999 Lotus Elise S1
2016 AMG GTS

Y10 Advisor
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #93 on: 05 October, 2020, 01:50:00 PM »

The seats with springs underneath are "E" reg 1987. I'm not sure what year the Alcantara ones came from. Maybe Trevor can advise. If you flip your seats up as if you were getting in the back then you should be able to see which type you have.

I found the wire and springs tended to cut into the foam making the seats saggy. I improved them by unclipping the back cover at the bottom and sliding pieces of hardboard in for extra support. You may be able to make it out in the picture. You can't get a piece in to cover the whole bottom in one go so I did a narrow bit in each side then a broader bit to fill in between them. Over time one of the side bits has shifted to the middle so If I did it again I would do something like using a bit of gaffer tape to stop the boards shifting.

If your seats are the grey and black chequered cloth I have saved the covers from the back seats which are largely unworn. My thinking being that there might be enough cloth to patch at least the base of a front seat. The centre and side bolsters have different cloth, the sides being a smaller cheque.

I haven't looked for new cloth but you never know what may be available from a professional trimmer. Alternately, if my old covers are of use to you they are available. I hate throwing away anything that might be useful. (Which is why I can barely move in my garage from 40 years of bits that might be useful one day!)

Here is a comparison of the old and new seats when only the passenger seat had been installed.
Frank,
If you can't get anything to match a common fix is to do the sides in leather or vinyl, they also wear better!
 Brian
8227  Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #94 on: 05 October, 2020, 10:21:26 PM »

Here's a picture of the boards I had inserted in the bottom of the seat. The two little ones go in first and are shifted to the sides then the larger one can slide in between them to stop them migrating back into the middle.

Here too is a picture of the rear seat covers in case they are useful to Duncan or Kevin, though I think Kevin's seats are pretty good.

* Boards to reinforce seats (Small).jpg (98.45 KB, 640x480 - viewed 513 times.)

* Spare seat covers (Small).jpg (129.66 KB, 640x480 - viewed 520 times.)
Kevinlincs
Permanent resident

« Reply #95 on: 06 October, 2020, 10:30:01 PM »

Yes, mine are in fine order so if they are useful to anyone then grab them, I'd happily have them so save them being binned though. Cool

Flavia 815 coupe
Dedra turbo
Delta integrale
Duncan23

« Reply #96 on: 07 October, 2020, 07:51:10 AM »

Mine are this sort of stripey - I think that they are the original GTie seats from '93 (I've definitely seen pictures somewhere of another GTie with these), but LHD may mean different trims...
IMG_20200822_131250 by duncancmartin, on Flickr
It's only the drivers seat that is damaged,  I'll get out and take a picture later (will also check under the base - your wooden solution sounds like a good idea if they are the spring sort).
Cheers
Duncan
nyssa7
Megaposter

« Reply #97 on: 08 October, 2020, 08:01:28 AM »

Mine are this sort of stripey - I think that they are the original GTie seats from '93 (I've definitely seen pictures somewhere of another GTie with these), but LHD may mean different trims...
IMG_20200822_131250 by duncancmartin, on Flickr
It's only the drivers seat that is damaged,  I'll get out and take a picture later (will also check under the base - your wooden solution sounds like a good idea if they are the spring sort).
Cheers
Duncan
They are the EU market standard GTie seats. Lancia UK ordered alcantara as standard for the UK GTie

2000 kappa coupe 20vt
1996 kappa saloon 20vt race car
the "Yntegrale"
1999 Lotus Elise S1
2016 AMG GTS

Y10 Advisor
Duncan23

« Reply #98 on: 08 October, 2020, 08:49:04 AM »

They are the EU market standard GTie seats. Lancia UK ordered alcantara as standard for the UK GTie
Thanks for confirming that. At this rate returning to original would require most of the interior of another LHD GTie, so I think I'll have to forget that idea. Apologies for the thread diversion.  Smiley
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #99 on: 19 January, 2021, 04:19:38 PM »

Fingers crossed I'm back in action and have beaten the dreaded Forbidden 403 curse.

I've had intermittent problems with my ignition lock for a couple of years. Randomly the key declines to provide any electrical activity but over Christmas the steering lock jammed and the key wouldn't extract.

Replacement ignition locks are only about £25 so I decided to stick a new one on and live with having one key for the doors and another for the ignition.

Being a curious soul I took the old lock apart to see how it worked and noted the dried up grease in the switch mechanism.

When assembling it I found the main wiring connector kept slipping out which may have been the main problem in the first place. A quick cable tie sorted that out and things seem to be working again.

* ignition lock 1 2021.jpg (68.46 KB, 640x480 - viewed 416 times.)

* ignition lock 2 2021.jpg (38.14 KB, 360x480 - viewed 421 times.)

* ignition lock 3 2021.jpg (107.57 KB, 640x480 - viewed 424 times.)

* ignition lock 4 2021.jpg (45.4 KB, 360x480 - viewed 422 times.)

* ignition lock 5 2021.jpg (113.11 KB, 640x480 - viewed 360 times.)

* ignition lock 6 2021.jpg (73.04 KB, 360x480 - viewed 417 times.)
Kevinlincs
Permanent resident

« Reply #100 on: 19 January, 2021, 09:25:32 PM »

Nice to tick another job off the "to do" list Frank, been a while since I've had to drill out those shear bolt mountings, seemed to be a regular thing back in the day.
Did you manage to use the new lock barrel and use your original key and tumbler set or get the whole original working OK? Always satisfying to take a mechanical part apart and fix it, not like these modern cars with immobilisers and keyless stupidity

Flavia 815 coupe
Dedra turbo
Delta integrale
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #101 on: 20 January, 2021, 12:30:18 PM »

I spoke too soon on the Forbidden 403 curse.

I couldn't get the barrel to come out of the new lock and didn't want to break anything by forcing it so I am going to live with two keys.
Kevinlincs
Permanent resident

« Reply #102 on: 20 January, 2021, 10:50:34 PM »

Used to be the case of just pushing in a detent somewhere and with the key in place the tumblers align and the inner barrel could be removed, sure you already know this, may be interesting for others to know.
I've done this before with making keys fit locks they weren't actually cut for, shaving tumblers down to suit keys. Was often the only way with spares scarce, or expensive!  Grin

That 403 thing, way beyond my mediocre IT skills, but I have had that in the past but thankfully not for a while. No idea why, or how to prevent it of course..
« Last Edit: 20 January, 2021, 10:52:24 PM by Kevinlincs » Logged

Flavia 815 coupe
Dedra turbo
Delta integrale
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #103 on: 26 February, 2021, 08:13:57 PM »

I've been slow sorting out bits for the MOT. An inactive indicator side repeater was just a blown bulb but my washers, both front and back, had gone missing. This is specially annoying as I fitted shiny new pumps on both last summer.

I'm happy the stalk switch is OK having checked all that when replacing the ignition lock. The fuse is OK because the wipers, which are on the same fuse, work OK. The last check was for power at the pump connectors and that was OK too. That just left my new pumps as having packed up. They have the pump screwed to the motor, unlike the originals which were rivetted, so was able to take them apart to try and work out what was wrong.

The answer is that the washer fluid seems to have reacted with the rubber innards causing them to swell up and jam the impeller. I've never come across anything like that before but it is pretty nasty. I had one spare new pump to compare it with, the picture shows the difference. Thankfully the shiny new pumps were an act of vanity and I have a box of working spares that I can dip into. I decided not to risk the brand new spare going the same way as the last two.

Another point of note is that the rubber grommets that fit the pump into the washer bottle are prone to splitting. Two thirds of my spare pumps have unusable grommets so they are another thin to add to my list of items to salvage whenever possible.

The pictures show used and unused pumps, the make of pump and the make of washer fluid.

* IMG_20210226_114028_646 (Small).jpg (67.09 KB, 640x480 - viewed 331 times.)

* IMG_20210226_150303_822 (Small).jpg (92.13 KB, 640x480 - viewed 337 times.)

* IMG_20210226_113707_712 (Small).jpg (51.3 KB, 360x480 - viewed 327 times.)
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #104 on: 26 February, 2021, 08:20:01 PM »

Regarding getting the lock barrel out you are quite right Kevin. In this case the barrel just wouldn't budge no matter how much I pressed in the detent. I might have a look at the old lock at the bench sometime to see if it was just me being feeble or whether it is truly stuck.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd