Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 02:26:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A finish for aluminum castings  (Read 4775 times)
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« on: 21 January, 2008, 10:48:04 AM »

Now - what I want to know is how to get and retain a good finish on alumium such as engine blocks, cam covers, wheels.   There's GOT to be a good DIY answer to this one.

I've heard of glass bead and walnut shell blasting - but it sounds expensive and the time (or courier) to deliver and again to collect.  Anyone been down that road and got a good supplier?  Anyone done it at home with a "diy" compressor?

20 years ago I tried various laquers but little real succes.  Likewise blasting with a pressure washer attachment - useless...

Some show cars have the aluminium painted aluminium colour which might actually be as easy as anything else.

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
toby2449
« Reply #1 on: 21 January, 2008, 11:54:17 AM »

i re-did the rocker cover on my alfa 164 a few months back & she shined afterwards, i'll check in my garage the stuff i used and get back to u
inthedark
« Reply #2 on: 21 January, 2008, 01:47:15 PM »

A few years ago when I had a bummer I had all the aluminium polished to mirror
finish , then just gave it a regular spray/wipe with GT 85 (better than wd40)
----------
(wd 40 absorbs/retains moisture GT85 dispels it)

Geoff 
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 21 January, 2008, 07:00:22 PM »

Geoff,

Hang on! GT85 is a PTFE spray-on lubricant used a lot by mountain bikers and other cyclists as a chain-lube. But it stinks of cheapo air-freshener or fly-spray – use it at your peril unless you want to thought a real poofter!

WD40 is a water dispersant - hence WD.

Colin
inthedark
« Reply #4 on: 21 January, 2008, 07:25:21 PM »

Look, they both come in cans with little straws, as to which does what, my door hinges
are nice and dry and my engine smells nice
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 21 January, 2008, 07:48:59 PM »

I don't know what you mean Colin - it says used by the MOD !!   Then again, looking down the page a recommendation from Bunny Guinness for her tools so maybe you do have a point...

Many swear by Duck oil - seems to be about three different brands and not something I've seen on the shelves.  Any supporters?

My favorite is PlusGas for seized bolts.  If the WD doesn't do it in a day then give it an hour with the PlusGas as its last chance before the chisel comes out.   A bit of diesel in a spray bottle is a handy thing to have about as well for cleaning.  Is Gunk still available?  Its the sort of stuff I'd expect to be banned by now.

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
toby2449
« Reply #6 on: 21 January, 2008, 08:10:20 PM »

ok David, heres how i did it on my 164's rocker cover which had years of gunk on it. Get a strong engine degeaser, i used a couple of tins, after removing the rocker cover i sprayed it with a good layer of the degreaser & left for a few hours, then rub wire wool (this is brilliant stuff as its tough enough to take off the dirt but doesn't-in my experience- scratch the metal) over the area. This may take several attempts to get it looking just as you want, but its a cheap way which does require some elbow grease! Instead of wire wool you can use wet n dry sand paper, again its not coarse enough to scratch the area but when its wet will get rid of the dirt.

Or ( i have also tried this) you could use a dremel with a soft metal head, & this works wonders!

To achive a lasting polish, i used a chrome cleaner, but be sure to buy a thick one, don't try to save some money with cheap stuff!

* alfa dirty.JPG (50.53 KB, 570x428 - viewed 356 times.)

* alfa clean.JPG (66.53 KB, 570x428 - viewed 316 times.)
inthedark
« Reply #7 on: 21 January, 2008, 09:57:58 PM »

David, Duck-oil is still the best  WD40 used to contain silicone as such was a
nightmare in the bodyshop.

wirewool is also brilliant for removing overspray from windows
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 22 January, 2008, 02:26:31 PM »

The before and afters are pretty convincing...   

Guess once you've got it like that the motivation is going to be there to give it a quick wipe over to keep it so.

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
toby2449
« Reply #9 on: 22 January, 2008, 04:59:41 PM »

would agree 100%,it might take a bit of doing, but i loved the look of the engine when i had finished her, sadly sold now Sad
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd