Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 08:16:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fulvia Sport 1.3s S2 bonnet not latching  (Read 5182 times)
kevbo
Lapsed

« on: 02 April, 2018, 04:19:14 PM »

Not sure if anyone can advise, but after trying to improve my bonnet alignment it's refusing to close properly.  I managed to get it latched closed by removing the air box seal and slamming the bonnet, but now after trying further adjustment of the catch on the bonnet I think I've made it worse!

I noticed the catch dowel is quite worn and also the latch mechanism is very stiff.  There's also a crossed spring arrangement in front of the latch which pops the bonnet upwards when the latch is released.  I noticed this spring arrangement isn't shown in the parts book, do other S2 Sport owners have this arrangement?

Any help appreciated.

* IMG_2125.JPG (845.04 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 428 times.)

* IMG_2123.JPG (970.47 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 410 times.)
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 03 April, 2018, 08:05:07 AM »

Dont think the springs are standard.

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
kevbo
Lapsed

« Reply #2 on: 03 April, 2018, 06:19:54 PM »

Thanks for that Tim.  The spring certainly works well to pop the bonnet upwards when the latch is released.  However, I took the whole mech off and now not entirely sure I've put the spring back as it was.  Also, the bonnet pin only just makes contact with the latch and does look worn.  So maybe a combination of things are stopping the latch from working correctly now.  On occasions the latch has fired but the bonnet pin hasn't located.

I'll think have to go back to square one and start over!
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 20 April, 2018, 09:00:27 AM »

Mine certainly has the springs and looks just like yours.  It is a matter of adjusting the position of the lock mechanism until the bonnet closes - you will notice it is possible to move it around a bit.  It is a fiddle but I have got mine working - you may also need to bend the prong or adjust its position with washers.

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
kevbo
Lapsed

« Reply #4 on: 20 April, 2018, 07:38:06 PM »

Thanks David.  I'm having a lot of trouble sorting this.  Can you let me know how the latch and spring are assembled together?  The whole arrangement includes two little top hat shaped steel bushes and I'm not sure where these go.  The catch has two largish holes, do the top hat part of the bush insert into the holes in the catch from the engine bay side of the catch or do they face the other way?

Any help much appreciated. 
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 26 April, 2018, 06:23:59 PM »

There is a top hat sitting behind the spring.  I am not sure without dismantling but I am pretty sure it fits into the housing behind.  On the other hand, if the narrower bit fits the spring that is where it goes!

* IMG_0530.JPG (1403.29 KB, 2473x1637 - viewed 398 times.)

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
kevbo
Lapsed

« Reply #6 on: 26 April, 2018, 09:29:50 PM »

Thanks for posting the photo David.  The spring does fit nicely over the bush which is how I've assembled it.  I'm trying to source another latch and get a new bonnet pin made up.  The latch design I think may be unique to the Sport but it might be possible to modify one from an Alfa 33, looks similar anyway.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd