Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 10:46:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flavia (iniezione) Fuel Filter and Overflow  (Read 4213 times)
Kellefornia

« on: 15 March, 2018, 05:26:43 AM »

After taking out my 66' Flavia Iniezione gas take to be welded (seems to be a trend on the forum lately) I noticed that it has two fuel lines exiting the tank but on my car only one of these lines is filtered, with an obviously non-stock filter.  

I know that Iniezione cars have a filter at the engine bay.  Can anyone confirm that this is the only fuel filter needed and that having one (or two) in line filters at the rear is incorrect?  I'm thinking it wrong but want to be sure... may explain the hesitation issues my car has under full throttle prompting me to send out the KF for a service...

Also on the subject of fuel, can someone explain where the fuel overflow line is supposed to be routed?  On my car (which I expect is also wrong) it goes all the way to a hole on the far right of the car.  However, I noticed an unused hole leading to the outside in the spare tire well, which seems exactly where the line should be routed.

« Last Edit: 15 March, 2018, 06:00:53 AM by Kellefornia » Logged
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 15 March, 2018, 06:53:32 AM »

On my Flavia inezione I have a filter coming from the tank feed and this sits under a cover in the spare wheel recess before connecting to the metal supply pipe that runs to the engine bay to the fuel pump and the original fispa filter which is fitted after the pump. The filter at the back of the car is the only one. The other pipe you have identified is the fuel return (unfiltered). Cant help you with routing that line without photos.

KF setup is fussy on fuel pressure. If you have an original KF (Bosch) fuel pump it couldbe failing leading to fuel starvation at higher revs. My car was fitted with a standard 10bar pump, which I have subsequently regulated down to c2bar (cant remember the spec but it has to be quite precise).

Hope that helps.

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
Kellefornia

« Reply #2 on: 15 March, 2018, 10:20:02 AM »

Understanding that the fuel filter is intended to be in the spare well and not simply underneath the car helps a lot and explains the purpose for the exit hole in the well (answering the second question). 

The fuel overflow line comes from the top of the tank by the sender and goes  across the car and out a hole beside the metal fuel filler pipe.   

Any chance anyone has pictures of the fuel line routing from the tank to filter to supply pipe, as well as overflow line routing?  The manual has some vague lines but nothing very instructive.  Would be good to make mine correct and saves me crawling under the car to change the filter!

I'll look into how the fuel pump is working next.

Thanks all.

lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 15 March, 2018, 10:30:30 AM »

Car is tucked up right now so I cant take any photos but from memory your installation of the return pipe does not sound right. The supply and return run under the car to the tank area and are coupled flexibly close to each other near/through the spare wheel well. I use a 10cent disposable plastic filter. You should have a protective plate to cover it in the well.

Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
Kellefornia

« Reply #4 on: 15 March, 2018, 10:48:48 AM »

The fuel return line runs as you describe, back into the tank just beside the supply line, which on my car is not routed through the spare well (I do have the metal plate).

By fuel overflow line I mean the line originating out of the top side of the tank, by the Veglia sender, which runs to the outside and sprays your feet with gas should the tank be overfilled.  The routing on mine looks quite hacked together and could do with some clean-up.  Interested to know its original routing.
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 15 March, 2018, 09:38:31 PM »

What you describe as an overflow pipe is, I think, the tank breather. The pipe is designed to go up in the space between wheel arch and wing and then vent down to drain away anything in the pipe. On a Fulvia there should be a plastic expansion bottle in this line so as to drain back into the tank. It is likely that the Flavia had to same arrangement. It is not uncommon for this bottle to be omitted, which as you describe results in dollops of fuel onto the shoes. I suggest you learn to live with petrol smelly shoes, or fit a plastic bottle in the upside of the line.

Colin 
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 15 March, 2018, 10:08:14 PM »

This is as Colin says a vent pipe and on my Flavia is a continuous pipe that goes up the wheel arch and back down a small port in the inner wing to the front of the wheel arch (I think from memory) - a bit of a lash up compared to the later Fulvia.

Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
Kellefornia

« Reply #7 on: 15 March, 2018, 11:30:36 PM »

Thanks all for the excellent description.  Glad I joined the LMC!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd