Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 09:39:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fuel tank sender unit / float switch  (Read 3243 times)
colinw

« on: 20 February, 2018, 09:44:53 PM »

Looks like mine on my Coupe is seized. I am busy soaking the linkages etc in WD40 but I fear the worst. It is a  Veglia unit. Anyone know of a replacement?
Thank you
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 20 February, 2018, 10:15:38 PM »

They will free up. I freed a well rusted Veglia unit out of my 63year old Aurelia but I know Cavalitto has them as I bought one for my Flavia Vig as the rheostat bit had failed....

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 20 February, 2018, 11:17:17 PM »

They will free up. I freed a well rusted Veglia unit out of my 63year old Aurelia but I know Cavalitto has them as I bought one for my Flavia Vig as the rheostat bit had failed....
With a bit of effort mine cleaned up on a few years ago.
I friend in Australia has just cleaned his Fulvia 1200 init with an ultrasound bath and a dremel still.
Now ok.
Brian 8227
 Cool

Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
colinw

« Reply #3 on: 24 February, 2018, 06:42:21 PM »

Many thanks for the encouragement. I am happy to report that the sender unit is now working. Removing the small ‘C’ clips on the thin connecting link allowed this link to be removed once the residue had been removed from the pivot points.  Next was to tackle the pivot through the cast body as this was the main culprit preventing movement. Gentle pressure, time, patience and WD40 did the trick. I now know I have fuel in the tank. It is a clever device with variable resister with two tracks and when the contact point comes off one track as the fuel level drops the contact moves onto the next track it sends a signal, voltage, to illuminate the red warning light on the gauge. This I suppose many of you know but I found it interesting for it is something one can take for granted.
Thanks to all for your help.
Colin

fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 24 February, 2018, 08:28:21 PM »

Many thanks for the encouragement. I am happy to report that the sender unit is now working. Removing the small ‘C’ clips on the thin connecting link allowed this link to be removed once the residue had been removed from the pivot points.  Next was to tackle the pivot through the cast body as this was the main culprit preventing movement. Gentle pressure, time, patience and WD40 did the trick. I now know I have fuel in the tank. It is a clever device with variable resister with two tracks and when the contact point comes off one track as the fuel level drops the contact moves onto the next track it sends a signal, voltage, to illuminate the red warning light on the gauge. This I suppose many of you know but I found it interesting for it is something one can take for granted.
Thanks to all for your help.
Colin
Pleased thats sorted Colin, advice is never wasted as there's always something to be learned by someone Grin I'll remember to remove the c clips next time.!

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd