Lancia Motor Club

Model Technical and Interest => Fulvia => Topic started by: Scott on 12 January, 2012, 03:42:09 PM

Title: Carbon monoxide
Post by: Scott on 12 January, 2012, 03:42:09 PM
I don't know if this will turn out to be a silly question so bear with me!

Fancied a spin in the Fulvia at the weekend. I always push it out of the garage onto the drive, close the garage door and start it from there since the garage has an adjoining door into the house and car fumes in the house aren't good!

Anyway go for a nice spin with the missus and return home an hour or so later to hear an alarm blaring away in the house. It was the 'never ever gone off before' carbon monoxide alarm in the kitchen going berserk with a very high ppm figure on it.

The only explanation is that it must have been the Fulvia but this hasn't happened before. I don't know whether I should be concerned or if it's normal for high levels of ambient CO to exist on starting an old (pre-cat) car like that. Is there anything 'up' with the car that I should have checked out or is it just one of those things caused by, perhaps, denser air or something?  ???

Title: Re: Carbon monoxide
Post by: mister bridger on 12 January, 2012, 05:35:34 PM
Very unlikely to be anything to do with the car if you started it outside. Get your boiler/ cooker checked out ASAP!

Title: Re: Carbon monoxide
Post by: waterboy on 12 January, 2012, 06:02:40 PM
Sounds to me you need a gas safe registered engineer pal. Was your heating on when you were out? I am assuming the detector is positioned near the boiler. If not get another detector / change batteries ASAP


Title: Re: Carbon monoxide
Post by: fay66 on 13 January, 2012, 01:38:59 AM
Turn off the Boiler and get checked without delay as all ready suggested, my late wifes cousin was killed by leaking Carbon Monoxide from a boiler, you can't see it, you can't smell it, silent killer.

8227 8)

Title: Re: Carbon monoxide
Post by: Scott on 13 January, 2012, 08:19:30 AM
Thanks guys for the suggestions.
It's definitely not the boiler which was serviced recently or a faulty alarm or duff batteries.
My wife commented on there being a 'car exhaust fume' type smell in the house (her nose is more sensitive than mine) and it's too much of a coincidence that this only happened when starting the Fulvia near the house.

If there's nothing to worry about (car wise) then that's fine. I just didn't want this to be because the car is running super-duper rich or something else that is ultimately not very good for the car or the health of myself and other people if it's pumping out serious CO! I'll put it down to cold dense winter air and a full choke for now!

Thanks all the same for the comments.

Title: Re: Carbon monoxide
Post by: on 13 January, 2012, 09:16:01 AM
I'm sorry to say this Scott, but personally I wouldn't put this to bed yet !!

I really think that a call to the person who serviced your boiler is the next step and ask him, for your peace of mind, to re-visit and check out the boiler for this specific issue and when you call, don't mention the Fulvia. After all, everyone can have a bad day and everyone is fallible !!


Title: Re: Carbon monoxide
Post by: Parisien on 13 January, 2012, 09:23:33 AM
CO is tasteless and odourless....but deadly.............get it checked, get someone with a meter to check everything, is your alarm working correctly too?

In my home village a mother and father died last year due to a blocked flue.


Title: Re: Carbon monoxide
Post by: Scott on 13 January, 2012, 11:17:15 AM
Okay, it seems like there's a bit of a consensus here that I would be silly to ignore. I will get it checked out.

Many thanks to all who have replied. Have a good weekend.

Scott  :)