Lancia Motor Club

General => General Chat => Topic started by: Kevin MacBride on 27 August, 2009, 09:55:36 AM

Title: Membership Card Question ?
Post by: Kevin MacBride on 27 August, 2009, 09:55:36 AM
Why does it read on the back of the membership card, that it's only valid if you do NOT hold  a valid competition licence other than one issued by the RAC MSA.

Title: Re: Membership Card Question ?
Post by: sllim1946 on 29 August, 2009, 07:24:07 PM
My take is this:-
This is part of a complex set of international competition rules laid down by the FIA and enacted in the UK by the RAC MSA. On the front of the membership card, as a member of the LMC you are entitled to enter events organised by the LMC for its own members for which an RAC MSA  competition license is not required. The wording on the front is only valid if a member does not have a Competition Licence from any other country (i.e. - the wording on the back) - there is therefore no conflict to the RAC's jurisdiction. If a member has a Competition Licence from another country then he is only allowed to enter a competition in this country if that competition is classed an an International and he has an International Competition licence. (a person can only have one competition license worldwide)

So do not worry - M Schumacher Esq. cannot come over and beat you in an LMC treasure hunt!

Title: Re: Membership Card Question ?
Post by: Kevin MacBride on 31 August, 2009, 09:43:03 AM
I have a National Comp Licence (Ireland) and am considering a few events in the UK next year. Does this mean my membership of the LMC is invalid. Not that its that important, it just seemed an odd thing to have written on the card. I was under the impression that all National Organizations are affiliated to the FIA.

Title: Re: Membership Card Question ?
Post by: peterbaker on 01 September, 2009, 04:45:43 PM
my comp licence is a waste of time as all the international events I do allow you to pay a temporary FIVA membership. ie the Monte Carlo Historique! For home HRCR events I need my MSA licence plus a membership card from the organising club. The only reason any club needs to obide by MSA law is because of insurance. Thats why anyone organising a road event of any type in the name of LMC needs to submit details officially. Modern rallying is another thing altogether. 

Title: Re: Membership Card Question ?
Post by: Neil Lewis on 06 September, 2009, 11:09:34 PM
The statements written on the LMC club cards are not current.  The statements were changed several years ago and the current statements are as follows:-

"This is to certify that <name> is a duly elected member paid up to <date> and is, therefore, authorised by The Royal Automobile Club Motor Sports Association Ltd. on the conditions stated overleaf, to take part in all competitions confined to members of this club or defined as Clubsport events under MSA Regulations."

The "conditions overleaf" which that statement mentions says :-

"I declare that I shall not drive in any part of a competition which takes place on the public highway unless I hold a valid motor vehicle driving liocence for cars (other than provisional).  I am acquainted with and agree to be bound by the General regulations of the MSA"

Which means that if you hold a club card you can compete in events organised for members of that club.  The Clubsport bit means you can compete on other club's events so long as they have applied for a Clubsport permit and your club is one of the six which may be invited.  And the road traffic act stuff is "obvious"...  Events with Permits other than Clubsport will require a Competition Licence for which various other criteria and costs are applicable.

So nothing about other "national automobile clubs" or being ineligible "by reason of age".  And of course it no longer says "RAC" because that is a brand name owned by the RAC motoring organisation.

So it's about time the LMC updated the statement on its club cards.