Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
16 May, 2024, 04:52:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Life with a Gamma  (Read 47727 times)
Harvey
« on: 29 June, 2009, 09:02:12 AM »

I'm very excited to be the proud owner of a Gamma Berlina, and also undergoing a baptism of fire with regards my mechanical skills. I thought this section was lacking a regular update, so I thought I'd start a sort-of-blog on my efforts to maintain and improve the car. I'm not going to promise this will be of interest to anyone other than myself, but here goes anyway!

The car has managed to fail three MOTs in quick succession, all on the brakes: the front n/s caliper is seizing on and the rear n/s is failing to demonstrate any effort at all with the parking brake. The car seems fine when it leaves the workshop, but the 10 mile drive to the sympathetic MOT centre is causing everything to go wrong again.

Harvey gets oily hands shocker: I spent Saturday afternoon raiding Andy's donor car for the relevant calipers, and on a "just-in-case" basis, making off with the front flex hoses, too. All under supervision, of course, but that's the most I've done to a car apart from change a wheel!

Fingers crossed for the 4th MOT attempt. Then I'll be hoping to make it to the AGM. I'd really like to get the waterpump swapped out, and the belts changed, but time is very much against me...
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 29 June, 2009, 01:35:09 PM »

Don't worry - I'll read it Smiley Photos are ok too ....

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 29 June, 2009, 02:29:44 PM »

Harvey,
Keep it coming as I've no experience of working or indeed having anything to do with Gammas, but I'm severely tempted Grin

This is one of the great parts of the Forum, sharing others experiences with their Lancias
Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Dilambdaman
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 29 June, 2009, 03:27:30 PM »

Keep it coming Harvey, a welcome addition indeed. Look forward to seeing the car at the AGM.

Robin.

Robin Lacey 3222

1932 Dilambda
1992 Y10 GTie
2012 Delta Mk3
ncundy
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #4 on: 29 June, 2009, 04:00:53 PM »

I had an occasional read of the colonels re-build on the Gamma consortium - good stuff, so it would be great to see something on here.

1969 Fanalone, Mazda RX-8, Fiat Multipla
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 29 June, 2009, 07:27:30 PM »

I had an occasional read of the colonels re-build on the Gamma consortium - good stuff, so it would be great to see something on here.

And what a lovely job it is.

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Thotos
Administrator
Megaposter

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #6 on: 30 June, 2009, 01:06:25 AM »

I'd really like to get the waterpump swapped out, and the belts changed,

Welcome to the wonderful and strange world of Gamma ownership! The Gamma Consortium have had some water pumps rebuilt (they come with lifetime warranty!) and I am the custodian of one of the spares. The Consortium also has plenty of timing belts as I am storing a box or two for them...

Theo Kyriacou
Harvey
« Reply #7 on: 30 June, 2009, 08:40:47 AM »

That's good to hear! How quickly can I get my hands on them? I posted my membership cheque for the consortium yesterday. The pump is rumbling nicely. Opinions vary on how urgent it is to replace it, but I'm not one to gamble so would rather do it soon.
Thotos
Administrator
Megaposter

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #8 on: 30 June, 2009, 11:05:21 AM »

If you sort out money with Ian (treasurer@gammaconsortium.com) you could have them in a day or two. Gamma pump bearings can rumble on (isn't that a Led Zeppelin song?) for years. As long as the pump is not leaking you'll be OK. Even when they start to leak slightly they don't get bad quickly. My water pump started to leak on the way to Turin for the Centenary Celebrations in 2006 and I got to Turin and all the way back to the UK with no major hassle. I had to top up the water once a day while in Turin and on the way back every couple of hundred miles which coincided nicely with my need for coffee/comfort breaks.  Grin

Theo Kyriacou
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 30 June, 2009, 11:26:27 AM »

*Ramble On - Led Zepplin II Track 7

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
Thotos
Administrator
Megaposter

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #10 on: 30 June, 2009, 01:45:31 PM »

*Ramble On - Led Zepplin II Track 7

Ok, so that's a ramble and not a rumble but I wonder if Jimmy Page ever had a Gamma for inspiration  Grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nWMNnypWEg

Theo Kyriacou
Harvey
« Reply #11 on: 05 July, 2009, 09:36:27 PM »

The car made it through the MOT at 4th attempt. A million thanks to Charles Shelton who worked hard on sorting the brakes. The car was taxed on Saturday, and collected from Charles in the afternoon.

My first proper drive, eagerly anticipated, and with my daughters in attendance.

Seeing the car parked next to a modern family saloon makes it look quite small, but there's something Tardis-like going on. The amount of space inside is surprising, and there were no little feet in the small of my back at any stage. Imogen (aged 8yrs) was in the front, and as usual, Chloe (aged 6yrs) was in the back. Chloe had enormous fun - firstly using the electric windows (no rear windows at all in the Ypsi) and then generally falling all over the seat whenever I went round a bend. There are no rear seatbelts in the car (yet - my life is on the line otherwise!)

There's plenty of torque available. South of Bath on the A36 there's a village called Woolverton, which has a 30mph limit, and a long straight hill afterwards - quite a gentle gradient, but you'd know it on a bike! Anyway, driving sedately, I accelerated gently upon leaving the limited stretch, and the car quite happily pulled up the hill in 5th gear. The Ypsi does the same, but it's a very slow increase in speed compared to the Gamma!

Imogen made me feel old when she asked where the CD slot was, and I realised that she's never seen a tape cassette... The car has only a LW/MW radio, too, so I couldn't even find a music station easily!

Charles did some tinkering whilst the car was in his care and has changed the water pump, and repaired a wing mirror mount, as well as a touch of spray-painting. Therefore, there's nothing urgent that needs attention. Current restoration / maintenance tasks planned are:

• Restore the electric mirrors to the correct mounting points and re-connect
  • Remove the period alarm (or at least the external activation keyhole mount!)
  • Attend to rust patches and re-spray
  • Improve leather interior with restorative cream
  • Change the cambelt

This will be as funds allow. Firstly, I intend to get some use out of the car and get to know it a little over the summer before committing it to the care of a dry garage.

See you at the AGM!

Harvey
« Reply #12 on: 05 July, 2009, 09:43:58 PM »

Here's the car in Bath (until tomorrow). You can just see the Ypsi parked 2 cars behind.

* Gamma cropped.jpg (246.55 KB, 1597x839 - viewed 528 times.)
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #13 on: 06 July, 2009, 09:23:59 AM »

HECK !

YOU MANAGED TO FIND TWO PARKING SPACES IN BATH AT THE SAME TIME ON THE SAME STREET !!!!!!

Looking for to seeing it (not in a field) .... Smiley

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
Harvey
« Reply #14 on: 06 July, 2009, 11:13:41 AM »

Yeah. It was lucky.  Grin

I parked the Gamma with about 8 feet clear in front so that I don't need full lock to get out of the parking space. Fingers crossed that the car in front stays there until I've managed to move the Gamma. I might be blocked in all the week otherwise.  Sad
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd