Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 09:49:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brake servo removal + brake balance limiter question  (Read 5082 times)
andyps
Megaposter

« on: 05 November, 2017, 09:12:55 PM »

In my quest to get all the brake components refurbished before getting my car back on the road I made a start on getting the servo off this evening. I'd already removed the master cylinder and then undid the four bolts that hold the servo body to something else. It then moved easily but doesn't come out because I'm assuming it is connected to the brake pedal - is there anything unusual about releasing it? I haven't looked inside yet as due to limited space I would have to get a lot of other things out of the garage to get myself into a position to access the top of the pedal. Thought I may as well seek the wisdom from the forum before trying!

My second question concerns the rear brake balance limiter - is that a part which is worth getting refurbished or are they available new? I can't see them on the Omicron website but haven't called to ask yet. I realise they aren't the only potential supplier of course so other suggestions welcome!
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 06 November, 2017, 12:42:54 PM »

There is a wholly inacessible ajustable ball joint whidh engages with the brake pedal.  I unscrewed the push rod from the joint which I left in situ.

* IMG_0367 (Copy).JPG (281.45 KB, 1231x1050 - viewed 389 times.)

* IMG_0368 (Copy).JPG (232.85 KB, 1157x1050 - viewed 380 times.)

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
andyps
Megaposter

« Reply #2 on: 06 November, 2017, 03:57:45 PM »

Thanks David, that does look pretty inaccessible! At least I know what I'm looking for now, it doesn't look like the pushrod is particularly easy to access to undo either!

I've sorted the brake balance limiter hopefully, Ricambio sell them for £18 brand new so I've ordered one from them.
Neil
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 06 November, 2017, 04:53:11 PM »

There should be a split pin in the end by the pedal locking the nut in the end of the shaft, if you do anything with the servo make sure you check the rod length, a few mm out makes a huge difference to the brakes.  I would measure it before you send it away, where the ball from the pedal locates in the rod is not circular that can affect the rod length.

Neil   

1973 Fulvia S2 1.3
andyps
Megaposter

« Reply #4 on: 08 November, 2017, 02:00:03 PM »

Thanks for the tip!
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 08 November, 2017, 06:12:37 PM »

Yes, if the rod is a fraction too long the brakes will lock up and the only way out is to undo a union at the end of the brake cylinder and let off the pressure.

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
andyps
Megaposter

« Reply #6 on: 12 November, 2017, 09:24:21 PM »

I got the servo off last night, removed the split pin but that didn't release anything so I loosened the lock nut and would the shaft out of the fitting. Marked the locknut position on the shaft and will measure everything before sending it away.

Thanks for the help.
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 17 November, 2017, 05:23:41 PM »

The really critical shaft is the one inside the servo that bears on the piston in the master cylinder.   This may well be reset by the reconditioner.   The shaft on the pedal is much less critical - and much easier to adjust. 

* P1050030 [800x600].JPG (155.35 KB, 800x600 - viewed 812 times.)

andyps
Megaposter

« Reply #8 on: 20 November, 2017, 09:27:18 PM »

Thanks David, I'll measure that too!
David32

« Reply #9 on: 21 November, 2017, 08:31:47 PM »

I was advised by Omicron after they had overhauled my servo, that the domed end of the nut should be level with the surface of the casing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd