Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 02:53:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: help on various re 1600HF  (Read 9365 times)
acalex
Lapsed

« on: 04 November, 2017, 06:11:38 PM »

As a newcomer to Fulvia ownership with a '71 818.740 series car I have/will have a load of questions, please bear with me!
My starter/s for one are:

Where can I get a pair of sun visors from? An odd request but they are missing on my car.......Maybe the Berlina has the same?

I'm sure there is a diagram somewhere on the forum for the Solex sidedraught carb. Any pointers welcome please....

Am about to fit a Facet elec pump and regulator. I know the pump should ideally be sited close to the tank ( I have one on a Alfa 2000 GTV Bertone), but I really dont want to put it on the underside. Anyone had experience of fitting it in the engine bay?

Think that's enough to get on with......

Fulvia 1600 HF, Integrale Evo 2, Alfa 2000GTV (Bertone), AC Ace
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 04 November, 2017, 10:12:22 PM »

Hi Alex

Welcome to the forum!!

Many of us run Facet Red/Silver or gold top pumps and regulator (are you using Filter king?) from the engine bay without a problem. Make sure you regulate at 3psi or slightly below.

There are exploded diagrams of the carbs in the parts manual and also in the full workshop manual with jetting for the 1600 in the concise manual.

I may have a spare pair of white visors (not sure) for sale.

Tim.

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
dhla40

« Reply #2 on: 05 November, 2017, 04:45:57 PM »

Electric piston pumps do prefer to push rather than pull. I fitted one in the engine bay of an Alfa spider and all was well for a time until a hot day in a traffic jam when it packed up. I did not appreciate at the time that the mech pump being a diaphragm type is better at sucking. You will probably be OK if you mount it as low as possible in the bay but after my experience I always fit mine near the tank.

Sean 

1976 1.3s coupe
1973 1.3s coupe
1982 montecarlo project
1976 alfa GT
1981 alfa spider
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 05 November, 2017, 06:09:31 PM »

Near the tank is good I think

* fuel%20pump.jpg (30.89 KB, 640x480 - viewed 675 times.)

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
acalex
Lapsed

« Reply #4 on: 05 November, 2017, 06:58:29 PM »

Hi Alex

Welcome to the forum!!

Many of us run Facet Red/Silver or gold top pumps and regulator (are you using Filter king?) from the engine bay without a problem. Make sure you regulate at 3psi or slightly below.

There are exploded diagrams of the carbs in the parts manual and also in the full workshop manual with jetting for the 1600 in the concise manual.

I may have a spare pair of white visors (not sure) for sale.

Tim.

Thanks Tim, on all fronts. Yes its a filter king. I can see varying views on location and accept that close to tank is best.
One option mentioned to me was to leave the mech pump is situ 'blanked off', or just having a loop pipe, in case of failure of the elec one. I'd prefer to take it right out but lets see....
Are the manuals available on line as pdf or whatever?
Do please let me know about visors!

simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 05 November, 2017, 07:13:03 PM »

My two-penneth .....

I like having an electric pump, but as a primer or back up. Whether it is at the front or back, I have not found much difference. I set up a facet near the carbs on by brother in law's S2 Fulvia which works well and I have a similar facet near the tank on my S3 Appia

Both are on switches

I had a permanent pump on the Aprilia for a while but found it caused leaks, even with a pressure limiter/filter so I fitted a new mechanical pump and put the electric pump on to a switch, since then no more problems

For the HF, I cannot say, except that I am just about to embark on a similar journey

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
acalex
Lapsed

« Reply #6 on: 05 November, 2017, 07:56:33 PM »

Wow, so many options.....

Richard, where exactly is the photo/pump position please?

Sean, all agreed and the Facet works a dream on my 70's Alfa

S&J, as a primer an interesting thought. Good luck with your project!

I suppose the interesting question is why do i want to do it? Simply to aid and improve very reluctant starting, fuel not electrics.

fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 05 November, 2017, 11:52:41 PM »

My two-penneth .....

I like having an electric pump, but as a primer or back up. Whether it is at the front or back, I have not found much difference. I set up a facet near the carbs on by brother in law's S2 Fulvia which works well and I have a similar facet near the tank on my S3 Appia

Both are on switches

I had a permanent pump on the Aprilia for a while but found it caused leaks, even with a pressure limiter/filter so I fitted a new mechanical pump and put the electric pump on to a switch, since then no more problems

For the HF, I cannot say, except that I am just about to embark on a similar journey
like Simon, my electric fuel pump on my 2c is fitted near the tank and is only used for priming the carbs for starting, or as a backup.
The electric pump is switched off prior to starting and the mechanical pump takes over.
I've been using this setup for the past 10-11 years without a problem.
I see no point in taking the mechanical pump out of the system unless you are going full electric, but then my question would be why?

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
peteracs
Administrator
Rebel Poster

« Reply #8 on: 06 November, 2017, 10:08:37 AM »

There has been a fair bit of discussion on the Beta forum about this as a lot of folk have to crank a lot before the engine gets started with the mechanical pump, so using it for priming is a great idea. If you intend using it as a complete replacement, care needs to be taken on the wiring. In case of an accident etc, you need to make sure the pump stops if the engine does and it does not continue to spill petrol all over the place. Various solutions proposed, i.e. wiring to oil pressure sensor, crash sensor etc. Makes the priming solution somewhat a simpler one to implement.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 06 November, 2017, 10:32:27 AM »

I've had a silvertop mounted on the inner wing of my 1.3s for many years now without any problems in traffic etc. When I phoned Omicron to get a new mechanical pump they said Imight as well just fitan electric one.When I asked what to do with the old one they said 'Just leave it.'. It transformed starting. Funny, it was only lately I was thinking about reinstating a mechanical one so I have a belt and braces system.

1971 Fulvia 1.3S 'Leggera'  1999 Lancia Lybra 1.9JTD LX SW
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 06 November, 2017, 01:22:32 PM »

Wow, so many options.....

Richard, where exactly is the photo/pump position please?

Sean, all agreed and the Facet works a dream on my 70's Alfa

S&J, as a primer an interesting thought. Good luck with your project!

I suppose the interesting question is why do i want to do it? Simply to aid and improve very reluctant starting, fuel not electrics.
.        The pump in the photo is behind the rear seat (Flaminia PF)

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 06 November, 2017, 02:38:44 PM »

Richard - interesting that you have yours fitted on its side. I'm sure that when I was speaking to Omicron at the time I asked 'Do I just fit it on top of the inner wing?' and they replied 'No, it must be in an upright position'.

1971 Fulvia 1.3S 'Leggera'  1999 Lancia Lybra 1.9JTD LX SW
dhla40

« Reply #12 on: 06 November, 2017, 03:43:19 PM »

I think upright is recommended because there is a magnet in the bottom cap to catch any metal debris, if mounted on side this might not be as effective.

Sean

1976 1.3s coupe
1973 1.3s coupe
1982 montecarlo project
1976 alfa GT
1981 alfa spider
acalex
Lapsed

« Reply #13 on: 06 November, 2017, 07:22:49 PM »

Upright is recommended and would be considered normal. The outlet is at the top of the pump, and should be above the inlet.

So, questions for those with a dual installation, ie mech and elec, whether for priming or main usage:

1. Presume you still have and need a pressure regulator (ie if the elec is just for priming)?

2. Presume the feed from the regulator continues through the mech pump and then to the carbs, ie there are not separate circuits?

Personally I'm still not sure whether to blank off the mech and rely totally on the Facet. It works perfectly on the Alfa, and in many cases there would only be an elec option anyway.

lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #14 on: 06 November, 2017, 08:01:03 PM »

If you use for priming then there is no need for a regulator as you will hear the change in noise from the pump when the carbs are full and you will switch off the pump (in theory). I now run everything in series. I tried parallel which is a design I saw some 15 years ago but it does not matter. I run one car with just a silvertop and filter king. On long journey's I pack a spare pump......

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator