Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 06:04:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I said that I would never buy another Fulvia ....  (Read 109681 times)
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #270 on: 27 October, 2019, 09:22:12 PM »

It seems anyone who drives a Berlina is always impressed.
The Coupe gets all the attention, but I suspect the Berlina is the better car.

I bought my coupe because I think it is beautiful, but don’t think I’ll ever get used to the bouncy ride.
Mark

I have said before you must have a rogue coupe.... I love mine and better than my Gamma coupe until I recently rebalanced all it wheels (the Gamma that is)

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
Caracad

« Reply #271 on: 27 October, 2019, 10:39:54 PM »

I know, it is frustrating. The ride quality is truly awful in my opinion.
I should sell it really, because we’re obviously not suited. I just can’t bring myself to part with it.
I love the steering, engine, lovely gearbox and the way everything is made. My coupe is also in completely original unrestored condition. It’s just a lovely thing.

Maybe there is a problem with it, but what?

The subframe mounts Have always felt too soft, allowing the whole power-train to move separately to the rest of the car. Hit a bump and you get a wobble through the whole car. Turn into a bend and there is a delay while where I am sitting catches up with the front of the car. At least that’s what it feels like.
To me the car feels much, much better when I fit solid spacers in the rear mounts instead of rubber. Yes I’ve done that.
Of course this does allow more NVH making the ride noisier. But overall the car is so much better without the rubber mounts there must be something up.
I quite like the car in short bursts but journeys more than 60 miles are just tedious.

Perhaps there is some vital welding, or metal work missing.

My Gamma, I love. I do a long journey in that and just want to turn around and do it again.

Oh yes and I have also taken out a leaf from the rear springs. This does make the car more comfortable, but messes up the handling.
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #272 on: 03 November, 2019, 06:12:06 PM »

Hi Mark, it does sound as if you should try a Berlina ..... I'm sure that Brian would be happy to take you for a ride in Fay, she is a lovely sorted car

I have a dilemma at the moment - I am trying to decide if I should remove the original plastic covers on the door panels. The only thing stopping me is that a car is only "original" once and if the covers come off, then they will never be the same again - but, they would look better uncovered !

Maybe I should find a second hand set and fit those instead ? (cream if anyone has a set)

Decisions , decisions !

Interestingly, the GT gets an awful lot of attention. I have been stopped many times with people commenting on her - more than the HF.  The Appia berlina gets a similar response to the GT, maybe they are more "accessible" ??

Last week I was in Narbonne and a lady crossed a pedestrian crossing in front of me and as I had stopped, she came over and said what a beautiful car it was - not something you expect to hear for a car designed by a 4 year old

So Mark - do try one !

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
Caracad

« Reply #273 on: 05 November, 2019, 07:48:19 PM »

Yes, I must have a ride in someone else’s Fulvia.
The thing about old cars, is they are all different.
I also like the challenge of understanding the engineering behind old cars.
The Fulvia in particular had some unique solutions so when being critical about the my coupe ride quality it’s only to spark a conversation about the cars, and find out others opinions.

I am now thinking it’s all about the subframe mounting, which is actually very clever.

I do need to start another thread for that though, having rather high jacked this one enough.

Mikenoangelo
Megaposter

« Reply #274 on: 05 November, 2019, 09:56:58 PM »

I also like the challenge of understanding the engineering behind old cars.
The Fulvia in particular had some unique solutions

Isn't this why Lancias are so fascinating - it's certainly true of the Augusta. The challenge in the last few days for me has been to make the 6 special tools plus a large "g" clamp to dismantle the front suspension to cure a few leaks and generally inspect the workings. Keeps me busy.
Mike
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #275 on: 07 November, 2019, 09:32:30 PM »

Mike, slightly off subject, but do you have photos of the tools and dismantling of the Augusta suspension ?

As you may have seen elsewhere, I wrote "an Idiot's guide to Appia suspension" and have taken Aprilia units apart as well, so it would  be interesting to see how different an Augusta is ...

Maybe start a new thread ?

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
Mikenoangelo
Megaposter

« Reply #276 on: 08 November, 2019, 10:03:51 AM »

Simon,

The knowhow is all explained and illustrated in Morris Parry's superb Augusta Newletter with photos and drawings and detailed instructions. I'm just following these so no claim to originality on my part. However when I get the tools done, I've just the "G" clamp to finish, and actually use them I will post pictures.

I'll start a thread on my Augusta fettling as there are other things worth mentioning and no doubt others will teach me something. As a newcomer to Lancias I have a lot to learn!

Mike
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #277 on: 23 November, 2019, 05:11:51 PM »

Thanks Mike, Morris sent me the files

But back to Fulvias, or more generally old cars.

Years ago when you got a new car with new, plush carpets, you wanted to protect them and bought rubber mats. Now, I have made nice new, edged, wool carpets to protect my (original) rubber mats - ironic isn't it ?

Plus I fitted an iPhone charger, but I'll keep quiet about that one !

* IMG_2932.jpeg (141.43 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 321 times.)

simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #278 on: 11 January, 2020, 03:36:59 PM »

Finally Frenchified !

The berlina got its new registration and the number plates arrived yesterday. Without re-opening the "small number plate" discussion again I hadn't seen this fixing system before - there is a slot at the back of the surround that the (trimmed) plate fits into , before being drilled and screwed - neat !

Fitting the plates also allowed me to clean the inside of the rear panel. Other nice details are the covers that hide the panel, held on with knurled nuts - very Lancia - expensive and over the top !

* IMG_3174.jpeg (199.08 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 299 times.)

* IMG_3172.jpeg (156.12 KB, 960x1280 - viewed 274 times.)

* IMG_3171.jpeg (151.49 KB, 960x1280 - viewed 312 times.)
« Last Edit: 12 January, 2020, 09:35:51 AM by simonandjuliet » Logged

simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #279 on: 03 April, 2020, 06:12:42 AM »

I know that this is being discussed elsewhere at the moment, but I am fitting an electric fuel pump to the GT.

A bit of background; I have fitted a number of inline (in series) pumps for both Appias and Fulvias in the last couple of years, either Facet block or Facet black (rounded , plastic bodied type)
Always as priming pumps on a separate switch and either near the tank (as recommended by the manufacturer) or in the engine bay mounted on the lower, inner wheelarch

I have found that they make a huge difference to starting and for me give a back up if the mechanical pump fails. Obviously this is just my experience and agree that there are a number of ways of "skinning this particular cat"!

With a bit of extra time on my hands, I have finally decided to take the tank out and clean it thoroughly because ever since I bought the car I have been changing the inline filter on a regular basis, hoping that it would eventually clear. At the same time I have tidied up a few bits of wiring under the bonnet and repositioned the glass bowl filter. There was a funny aluminium block that originally held an SU pump at some time it its life, so I've re-used the holes for a new, simpler mount.

This time, I decided to fit the pump at the back of the car because there isn't enough room in the engine bay to fit it neatly (horns are in the way) - plus there is a convenient, well protected gap behind the rear wheel arch. The photo is not the finished article, the tank is still out so the pipes are not fully fitted

As always, I can't take one thing apart and not do other things - so I removed the brackets for the defunct mudflaps, blocked the holes with stainless bolts, wire brushed the wheelarches and gave it a coat of underseal (spray-type Shutz)

Hopefully I can finish putting it back together today, but I am waiting for new tank seals to arrive

* IMG_3517.jpeg (192.6 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 307 times.)

* IMG_3519.jpeg (185.78 KB, 960x1280 - viewed 276 times.)

* IMG_3520.jpeg (161.91 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 284 times.)

chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #280 on: 03 April, 2020, 08:54:13 AM »

Nice work Simon.
I think having an switched electric pump to prime and then back to the OE mechanical pump for running is the best permutation. The car came to me with 2 spare new sets of mudflaps which I think spoil the look of the car. Personal taste I suppose.
Chris

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #281 on: 03 April, 2020, 05:15:19 PM »

Front wheel arches done today and tank refitted

Couple of detail photos for David L ..... nice new captive nuts and new tank filter

The non-captive captive nuts were the most difficult part of the project because it is difficult to have a spanner on both ends when you are on your own !

* IMG_3525.jpeg (77.53 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 316 times.)

* IMG_3526.jpeg (203.21 KB, 960x1280 - viewed 274 times.)

DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #282 on: 04 April, 2020, 09:02:58 AM »

Grin

David Laver, Lewisham.
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #283 on: 06 April, 2020, 09:05:22 PM »

To finish this one off , couple of photos of it all back together

First, slightly surreal picture showing the setup at the back (and I hope the "bling" tank-ring doesn't offend too much) and then the second shows the filler pipe with cleaned up seals etc

Once connected up, it took less than 30 secs to refill the entire system - prime/pipes/filters/carbs etc - and then started immediately , so very happy with the result. Although I can't do a proper road test just yet for obvious reasons

* IMG_3558.jpeg (184.65 KB, 960x1280 - viewed 253 times.)

* IMG_3562.jpeg (112.28 KB, 960x1280 - viewed 289 times.)

jimbo64

« Reply #284 on: 07 April, 2020, 02:17:33 PM »

Nothing wrong with a bling ring 🤣

* CB8E7CE3-3125-473F-B8FD-04547AD9973F.jpeg (2553.67 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 283 times.)
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd