Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 03:14:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fulvia series 1 tyres and heater  (Read 8020 times)
Neil
Permanent resident

« Reply #15 on: 12 October, 2017, 03:35:16 PM »

Maybe the standard temperature 2c, can you fit second series coupe matrix?

Neil   

1973 Fulvia S2 1.3
Caracad

« Reply #16 on: 12 October, 2017, 08:58:49 PM »

No idea why my heater should work so well.
It uses a simple water valve and also two flaps in the heater box that direct either all or some of the air through the matrix. I guess the flaps give a but more control.
I suppose if the flaps aren't adjusted right this would reduce the amount of heat.
I do know the S2 & 3 heaters are better than on S1 cars.
Last winter I never needed to have the heater on full. Also it heats up really quickly from cold.
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #17 on: 12 October, 2017, 11:35:07 PM »

Tim, as the other member of the highly exclusive 2C Club, I would stress neither I or Brian own a  fur coat ! We do share equally inefficient heaters though!!

2C = Too cold???
No, no problems on that score.
Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
winter

« Reply #18 on: 25 October, 2017, 11:36:53 AM »

Refurbmishment of my 1600 HF just complete. Fitted Toyo Proxes 185/65/14 to cleaned  up wheels. Seem to work very well and don't look too modern.

Have replaced heater valve but still runs hot all the time.
roddy

« Reply #19 on: 29 October, 2017, 01:21:06 PM »

Here is an explanation of the controls of a Series 1 Fulvia heater, which may (or may not) answer some of the questions :-

The blue knob wheel is connected to a flap on a vent in the scuttle and controls the amount of air entering the heater system.  Fully clockwise, the vent is closed and no air enters the heater.  Anti-clockwise the vent is fully open for maximum air.

The red knob wheel is connected to a flap over the leading face of the heater matrix.  Fully clockwise, the flap is against the heater matrix and prevents any air going through the (hot) core (if the water valve is open).  It is really an air temperature balance control.

The short lever works the water valve - forward: closed;  back: hot water valve open.  Touching the hoses would show if the temperature is the same on either side of the valve and on either side of the heater core.

The long lever obviously directs the air to the screen/vents or footwell.

As a radiator core can silt up in certain circumstances, similarly so can the heater core.

A final important point is to remember that the Series 1 system is designed to use a .25 bar radiator cap.  If you use a higher pressure cap, viz: Series 2 .5 bar, there is just a risk that the heater core may perforate.

Regards -

Roddy Young
Dunfermline, Fife

1970 Fulvia Sport S1 1.3S
GG
Megaposter

« Reply #20 on: 29 October, 2017, 07:59:52 PM »

Many years ago (when the cars were a bit fresher) we used to check two things for heat:

First, we'd check if the engine water was hot enough. We'd put a big piece of cardboard in front of the radiator to raise the water temp. Never got too hot. Still do that today on other Lancias. 

And second, we'd check the rubber diaphragm at the heater valve. They sometimes need replacing, as they would swell up and constrict water flow.

Probably, by now, the heater cores might need cleaning out, as noted above.

B20 s.2, Appia C10, Flavia 2000
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd