Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
12 November, 2019, 05:31:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Report on (slow) S2 Coupe rebuild progress  (Read 22814 times)
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #225 on: 06 September, 2019, 01:59:38 PM »

Keep at it !!!

On the one hand it must be easier than this...on the other plenty of jobs are quite tricky the first 100 times and after that second nature.  Am thinking of this as an "easy as riding a bike" job, for someone who's never sat on a bike before, and understanding why so few amateurs take it on.

Am really looking forward to it done, and then the next person to follow the method.

David Laver, Lewisham.
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #226 on: 06 September, 2019, 11:15:19 PM »

Keep at it !!!

On the one hand it must be easier than this...on the other plenty of jobs are quite tricky the first 100 times and after that second nature.  Am thinking of this as an "easy as riding a bike" job, for so3meone who's never sat on a bike before, and understanding why so few amateurs take it on.

Am really looking forward to it done, and then the next person to follow the method.
Excellent work so far, as you say David, once you get used to doing something it becomes easier, at the time I used  to watch  the trimmers fitting them day in day out, we were building 400-500 vehicles a day.
I wonder how much easier it would be if you could fit it with the car upside down?
Brian
8227  Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
1999 Suzuki Wagon R+ GL, now my daughters
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
nthomas1
Megaposter

« Reply #227 on: 08 October, 2019, 12:12:48 PM »

A little bit of philosophy today.  The psychology of rebuilding a car is interesting.  I have a habit of going to the garage with good intentions and then procrastinating over which of the many outstanding jobs I should start on! Sometimes I move things around and inspect them for a couple of hours and end up getting little done. 

I have therefore adopted a new rule that says I shouldnít move anything that could be fitted to the car immediately.  With that in mind I took the tray containing my new wheel bolts and wheel centres and I polished the chrome and painted logos with Autoglym resin polish and then fitted them to the car.  Fitting the backing plates for the wheel centres was a bit tricky as they are a tight fit and I had to resort to a block of wood and a hammer to force them into position from the rear of each wheel.  Thatís one more tray that I wonít be moving again, but the boxes of used parts for sale at the end of the rebuild are growing fast.

I think Iíve now found a way to get electric power to the garage and if I succeed Iíll have light (and heating) there for the first time so will be able to continue work through the winter once I get back from my current trip to Spain where Iím writing this.  Early progress with the rebuild has made me keen to get the car back on the road as soon as possible and enjoy that delightful driving experience again! 

Whilst in philosophical mood here are some other observations on the rebuild process:
- You can never take enough notes and photographs during the disassembly phase.  I certainly didnít.
- At the start of a rebuild you should convince your next door neighbour to buy a well restored version of your car so that you always have a reference point.
- You can not extrapolate the time it will take to complete a job: if four identical things need to be done, the fourth will often take as long as the first three.
- Decision making on which parts to refurbish and which to replace is a never ending spiral.  Parts that were deemed to be suitable for refit at one stage in the rebuild no longer seem so as the rebuild progresses.

Having said all of that, I am enjoying the rebuild as much as Iíd always hoped I would, and I find even very small steps forward very rewarding. 

* IMG_8937 copy.JPG (970 KB, 1559x1548 - viewed 8 times.)

Norm Thomas
Ormskirk, Lancashire

Own:
1973 Fulvia S2 Coupe
Various modern cars
Previous Lancias: S2 Coupe and S3 Coupe in late 1970s
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #228 on: 08 October, 2019, 01:16:53 PM »

I noticed when my son worked in a customising shop that each car had a sheet of paper taped to the screen with a list of the order of work to be done next. It might pay to plan and note the next job before leaving the garage and disciplining yourself not to be diverted from the next job on the list when you start the next session. What needs doing next is generally at the front of your mind when you have to break off working.
nthomas1
Megaposter

« Reply #229 on: 13 October, 2019, 11:56:15 AM »

I noticed when my son worked in a customising shop that each car had a sheet of paper taped to the screen with a list of the order of work to be done next. It might pay to plan and note the next job before leaving the garage and disciplining yourself not to be diverted from the next job on the list when you start the next session. What needs doing next is generally at the front of your mind when you have to break off working.

Sounds like a good approach Frank.  To be honest, my comments were somewhat tongue-in-cheek!

Norm Thomas
Ormskirk, Lancashire

Own:
1973 Fulvia S2 Coupe
Various modern cars
nthomas1
Megaposter

« Reply #230 on: 01 November, 2019, 04:38:25 PM »

Just home from Spain for a few days (our 50th wedding anniversary party at the Hard Day's Night Hotel in Liverpool tomorrow) so thought I'd put together a couple of simple jigs to hold the doors while I reassemble them.  Hopefully will be able to get them built up when I get back again in December.

* Screen Shot 2019-11-01 at 16.32.51.png (741.15 KB, 1020x414 - viewed 4 times.)

* IMG_0087.JPG (737.39 KB, 1843x1382 - viewed 0 times.)

Norm Thomas
Ormskirk, Lancashire

Own:
1973 Fulvia S2 Coupe
Various modern cars
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #231 on: 01 November, 2019, 05:46:18 PM »

I like those door supports Norman...and two of them as well! Proper job.
Chris

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2018 Lancia Motor Club Ltd