Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 08:44:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aprilia series 1 paint colours- information please  (Read 5443 times)
Lapsed Cesare Ferrari
Lapsed

« on: 16 August, 2017, 10:09:52 PM »

My 1938 Aprilia needs some body work done this autumn. If the amount of paintwork involved reaches a certain point, I shall consider whether to repaint the whole car in a more appropriate colour instead of the current cheerful, but very unoriginal, baby blue.

Is anyone able to help with samples, codes, photographs or any other clues as to the colours used by Lancia in the late 1930s, as if I do repaint I would like to add some originality? My car has a dark blue Alperton leather interior, so blue or grey colours would l imagine be the obvious choices for a repaint. Period photographs seem to show some surprisingly light colours, which I would favour for reasons of visibility. Any information at all on period colours would be welcome however.

Ciao a tutti
Cesare
Sliding Pillar
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 17 August, 2017, 06:15:01 AM »

This is the list of original colours for the Aprilia.

* Aprilia Colours.jpg (449.84 KB, 1171x1721 - viewed 382 times.)

1955 Aurelia
1961 Lamborghini
Lapsed Cesare Ferrari
Lapsed

« Reply #2 on: 17 August, 2017, 09:40:59 PM »

Thank you for this interesting list.

If anyone has photos or any other clues to give visible form to any of the names of colours in the left column and the footnotes I would be most grateful!

Cesare
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 18 August, 2017, 07:27:20 AM »

Cesare

Do you think there will be any clues as to what your car was originally painted?

Area (door recesses, window recesses etc) untouched by human hand after all these years?

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
Lapsed Cesare Ferrari
Lapsed

« Reply #4 on: 18 August, 2017, 10:25:18 AM »

Traces of past paintwork on the body of my car are pretty well obliterated, I fear. The dashboard however is a different colour, probably being from a different car as well, and might be a factory finish. It is a medium to dark grey colour that I do not dislike, but a dull one. As I have said if there is a more visible colour I would favour that for safety grounds.

Also, at the AGM Rossella, Marcello Minerbi's widow, told me how glad she was to see an Aprilia in a cheerful colour, as she associated them with dark colours and dark times. That too made me think again about the grey reference that I have.

Cesare
GG
Megaposter

« Reply #5 on: 18 August, 2017, 04:56:26 PM »

Getting current versions of period colors is quite difficult. Matching a sample seems like a good idea, but they have faded with 60+ years of oxidation. Sometimes you can find paint in a hidden area (glovebox, under air vents, door jambs) unfaded for matching.

The other way is to go to Lechler, who in the early 1990s, stepped up to the plate and posted a chart of old Italian car paints and their current equivalents. The chart doesn't list Aprilias, but has Ardeas, probably similar.

I think there more information than just this page - you can go back to Lechler, that is, you can ask them about your model and see what they have on file. Its been several years but some information was confusing, without clear differences between the series or the specials. . Still, they are your best bet. Some folks have found samples of these colors, but only in Europe.

* Lechler Italy chart.jpg (2045.19 KB, 1552x2377 - viewed 367 times.)
« Last Edit: 18 August, 2017, 05:03:32 PM by GG » Logged

B20 s.2, Appia C10, Flavia 2000
Lapsed Cesare Ferrari
Lapsed

« Reply #6 on: 20 August, 2017, 11:28:19 PM »

Thank you GG. It appears there is no easy way to establish pre-war Aprilia colours. Perhaps I must hope that the paintwork needed on my car is  not so extensive as to prompt a colour change. I actually like it as it is, and have tried to attach a photo of it but without success.
Cesare
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 21 August, 2017, 05:52:01 AM »

Thank you GG. It appears there is no easy way to establish pre-war Aprilia colours. Perhaps I must hope that the paintwork needed on my car is  not so extensive as to prompt a colour change. I actually like it as it is, and have tried to attach a photo of it but without success.
Cesare
If you like the look of any of the Ardea colours I guess a good car paint supply shop ( we have 3 alone in Colchester) could make a sample of the Lechler code for you to assess??

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 21 August, 2017, 10:45:39 AM »

I actually like it as it is, and have tried to attach a photo of it but without success.
Cesare

Hi Cesare, I like your car colour very much and for the reasons said - it's cheerful !

Luckily , your car is on the LMC news page here :

and here ( which is the picture used when it was on the NEC stand )

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 21 August, 2017, 10:48:48 AM »

To put these pictures on the Forum thread, all I did was did the image URL from the internet eg :

http://img.lanciamconline.co.uk/public/Vehicles/LMC-2782-166552.jpg

and then when I posted it on the forum I prefixed it with [ img ] and then suffixed with [ / img ] to tell the forum an image was between the two img tags .... ( note that with the [ img ] parts that there are NO SPACES - I just put the spaces there so you could see what I was typing in )

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
GG
Megaposter

« Reply #10 on: 21 August, 2017, 11:47:57 AM »

Cesare
If you like the look of any of the Ardea colours I guess a good car paint supply shop ( we have 3 alone in Colchester) could make a sample of the Lechler code for you to assess??

At one time, there were discussions about a paint shop making up swatches of these paints. As the Lechler paints aren't available over in the US, the idea was make a series of 12" painted square, to be cut in parts, for both the American and British club to have a current paintbook. Didn't go anywhere, but it's still an idea....

B20 s.2, Appia C10, Flavia 2000
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 21 August, 2017, 01:13:26 PM »

Lancia Blue 1961 is on the technical information thread page iv.

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
Lapsed Cesare Ferrari
Lapsed

« Reply #12 on: 21 August, 2017, 11:22:21 PM »

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions. If I do paint my Aprilia a new colour I shall be sure to post  picture of it.
Cesare
Raahauge

« Reply #13 on: 24 August, 2017, 07:43:17 PM »

This may be helpful if the same colours continued through to the Aprilia. I found a decent bit of paint that had been covered upon our 1934 Augusta and had it identified as "Fiat  456 (0456) blue notte"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd