Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 11:43:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flaminia Tyre Sizes  (Read 2329 times)
Jay
Megaposter

« on: 26 June, 2017, 04:26:41 PM »

Hi guys I would really appreciate your thoughts on this.

Knowing that the tyres on my GT are 20 plus years old, although they still have a good 8mm of tread, the compound is brittle and started to crack on the walls. I have now become increasingly worried about fast motorway driving, so new set of tyres are in order.

Looking at various owner’s manuals for 2.5 and 2.8 Flaminias it looks like the following tyres were specified
Berlina and Coupe 175x400 Michelin X or Pirelli Cinturato for both 2.5 and 2.8
Touring GT and Zagato Sport 165x400 Michelin X for both 2.5 and 2.8

As all these cars have the same steel rims/wheels I am assuming the Berlina and Coupe being slightly heavier cars used the wider profile with the lighter (150ish KG) cars on the narrower ones.

As I am going to buy a new set of tyres and always felt that the GT and Sport tyres looked a bit too tall and thin compared to other cars of this era.  So I am thinking for opting for the new 175x400 Cinturato which Longstone have had reproduced. I know the steering at very low speed will/may feel slightly heavier with the wider tyre, but that’s not a problem with a steering wheel of that size, plus it’s not what Lancia specified and they do get it right, but I do like the wider look, if only 14mm.

Size wise
165SR400 Michelin X = Diameter 677mm  Width 162mm
165HR400 PIRELLI = Diameter  666mm  Width  167 mm
175HR400 PIRELLI = Diameter 682mm Width 176mm   

Do you think going for the 175 will give any problems and worth the extra £££, I am really in 2 minds about this?

Julian Wood, Kingston, London
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 26 June, 2017, 06:14:32 PM »

Personally, I am not a fan of wider tyres and tend wherever possible to stick to original sizes.

I like Fulvias on standard profile tyres - taller and narrower
I preferred my Aurelia on 165x 400's rather than 15"
My Delta HF turbo on standard 165's was a hoot
And I hated the oversize tyres on Juliet's MX5 because it took the fun out of roundabouts

But it's an individual thing ......

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd