Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 01:30:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ardea suspension servicing  (Read 4235 times)
Robert
Lapsed

« on: 23 June, 2017, 03:16:27 PM »

Greetings everyone
I am looking at rebuilding the front suspension units on my fourth series Ardea and was wondering if anyone had any details or drawings for the tools required? 
Also, should the oil filter have a ratchet mechanism?  Mine is linked to the starter motor but the lever neither turns the filter nor has a ratchet mechanism as per the Augusta.
Finally, while I'm here, may I ask what oil people use for the rear axle?  I'm currently using 30w for the engine and suspension, 40w for the gearbox but not sure for the axle.
Any information would be gratefully received
Regards
Robert
Raahauge

« Reply #1 on: 25 June, 2017, 08:44:43 PM »

Robert
I too would be interested in info on front suspension.
The lever that is attached to the filter should definitely have a ratchet in it, both I have examined worked but were fairly sloppy.
The manual says VEEDOL ULTRA HEAVY for the rear axle, I used 80.
Regards
Mike
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 26 June, 2017, 10:21:10 AM »

A couple of things - do you have the parts book ? It has the diagrams for suspension and oil filter set up - although the latter isn't clear for the starter attachment

I can post photos of the relevant pages

Re oils, on the Aprilia I use thicker oils than you are proposing. I will check and post

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 30 June, 2017, 01:32:19 PM »

As promised, here are the oils I use for the Aprilia - they are Penrite refs because that is what I have used to date, but the viscocities should be the same for other makes

"A list of oils I am going to use:

Engine - Classic light 20w60
Box - Forest Gear Oil - an EP 90 GL4 oil
Diff - Mild EP - another GL4 oil (an SAE 140 EP replacement)
Front suspension - Classic light for the top and will do a test on Classic light or EP 90 in the bottom (I think Geoff suggested this for Aurelias)
Rear shocks - Shocker oil 2 - However, I will need to remove, empty and rinse the shocks first because they may well still have "Castor Oil" in them.
Driveshafts - Graphite grease for inner and High Melt for the outers ( supposed to be more resistant to water washout - another trial !)
Wheel bearings - High Melt grease
Central bearing - High Melt grease
Steering box - Mild EP"

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
GG
Megaposter

« Reply #4 on: 30 June, 2017, 10:30:03 PM »

Some time ago, was wondering what oils to use in an Aurelia. Part of the issue is that the newer oils operate a bit differently than the older ones, and sometimes viscosity changes (say 10w or so) is needed to maintain the same feeling. But another issue emerged - that is, Lancia changed their oil recommendations over the lifespan of the Aurelia. While this might have to do with design changes to parts, it seemed more likely that the original 1950 oil standards dated from before the war, and that throughout the 1950s, oil technology improved as well as experience with long runs of high speed driving (expressways). This became somewhat more clear with the attached summary sheet of oil recommendations over the lifespan of the Aurelia.

Mind you, none of this tells you what to use in the Ardea or the Aprilia - do you go original, or updated Lancia specs (like the later Aurelia) or contemporary? I tend to run 30W in the top, and 90w (straight) in the bottom, but have heard of someone who uses grease in the bottom.

* Lancia Aurelia lubricants.pdf (36.35 KB - downloaded 194 times.)

B20 s.2, Appia C10, Flavia 2000
Robert
Lapsed

« Reply #5 on: 01 July, 2017, 08:45:57 PM »

Thanks very much for the information.
I do have a copy of the parts book and manual in Italian which is very useful and pretty but I do miss a fair bit in translation. I'll take out the oil filter and clean it regularly until I sort out the ratchet mechanism (it doesn't even spin either). I have a perfect working Augusta oil filter I could 'butcher' unless someone has a spare Ardea filter they could swap?

As regards grease, should distributors be greased regularly too?

I'm going to take a closer look at the suspension uprights and my Augusta suspension tool diagrams and see if I can come up with something to strip them down. I see the springs are available from Italy

Finally, my workshop neighbour has just bought an Ardea herself from auction.  It's a lovely original white one with a split window. YVL765.  Would anyone know the history of this car?
Best regards

Raahauge

« Reply #6 on: 04 July, 2017, 08:19:05 PM »

The white Ardea came from me, happy to help with history (what little I know) and in any other way I can.
Mike
nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #7 on: 05 July, 2017, 10:59:07 AM »

I'll take out the oil filter and clean it regularly until I sort out the ratchet mechanism (it doesn't even spin either).

It should be possible to easily rotate the filter by hand. The same each time the starter is engaged.

As regards grease, should distributors be greased regularly too?

Yes, through a couple of turns of the grease-filled mechanisms at the base of the distributor.

I'm going to take a closer look at the suspension uprights and my Augusta suspension tool diagrams and see if I can come up with something to strip them down. I see the springs are available from Italy[/i]

You will need a full set of special tools (7 if I remember correctly). Regards, Andrea

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
Robert
Lapsed

« Reply #8 on: 05 July, 2017, 02:30:00 PM »

Thanks again Andrea and everyone.
Raahauge - I couldn't find a way to send a personal message.  I was going to ask if it was originally a uk car, if you had a list of previous owners and maybe some old photos of it.  My email address is robert@sesports.co.uk

I'm starting to strip down the suspension and will try and make the tools as I go along.........
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd