Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 04:51:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: aurelia front suspension parts  (Read 8554 times)
Dikappa
Megaposter

« on: 31 December, 2016, 09:08:13 AM »

Yesterday I made a tool to take the front suspension apart.  All came apart surprisingly well, I feared the torch would have to come out, but no, slight hammering was enough to loosen up end then hand srewing.  Incredible Lancia quality!

I must say I was also surprised by the condition, everything inside looks brand new. However inside the damper I found a smal circular sheet metal spring broken up that forms a valve. (Lancia part 438-73180, part n°51 on tav 59 of the front suspension)

I do find a lot of parts on the Cavalitto site, but the really worn items such as the seals I do not find.  Is there any source known for items like these?

Haven't made pics yet, will post some later...
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 31 December, 2016, 09:46:18 AM »

I think there was mention of this part by someone at some time....I know not a lot of use! Whether it was Niels Johannsen who had some or N Cundy, I can't remember, assuming its the small part, alternately do ask Cavalitto as not everything listed on their site or indeed Omicron, great work too Koen!

P

Frank Gallagher
Dikappa
Megaposter

« Reply #2 on: 31 December, 2016, 01:01:57 PM »

Two additional questions come up:

is there a supplier for the tools needed (sockets for castelated nuts) as my home made tools out of pieces of tube are not holding up very well (two toothed tool for bottom guide)

is it possible to remove the steering arms?  They seem to be fixed with two M10 bolts, but do not come off with bolts removed?  Not that it is really necessary but thought to remove the arms in order to easier clamp the hub in the vice.

In the mean time: Happy New year to all readers!!!!!

attached a drawing of the sheet metal spring/valve

* valve spring aurelia front suspensionkopie.jpg (145.77 KB, 2055x1434 - viewed 395 times.)
« Last Edit: 31 December, 2016, 01:12:35 PM by Dikappa » Logged
LANCIA
Lapsed

« Reply #3 on: 31 December, 2016, 03:34:09 PM »

CAVALITTO HA TUTTO  COSA SERVE ,  ANCHE PEZZI INTROVABILI......  MOLTI PARTICOLARI NON SONO SUL SITO........

Lancia Appia Furgoncino   Lancia appia 1^ serie  Fiat Balilla tre marce  Fiat Topolino B
Dikappa
Megaposter

« Reply #4 on: 02 January, 2017, 08:03:31 PM »

Today made some more dismantling progress...although the bottom inner guide took three 'home made' tools to come out.
I made the tool so that it fits inside the bottom guide, preventing it from shifting.  One has then off course to remove the bottom plug first.  In retrospect I think I overdid the tool a bit, but maybe better too strong than just not strong enough...

Is there anyone with specifications on the guide dimensions?  When to renew or when not? There is some wear visible, very slight, but without specs it's a bit difficult to know what needs replacement.

* P1070938 (Large).JPG (217.37 KB, 1440x1080 - viewed 451 times.)

* P1070941 (Large).JPG (209.11 KB, 1440x1080 - viewed 429 times.)

* P1070942 (Large).JPG (223.13 KB, 1440x1080 - viewed 461 times.)

* P1070945 (Large).JPG (169.12 KB, 1440x1080 - viewed 436 times.)
Charles T

« Reply #5 on: 22 January, 2017, 06:09:53 PM »

Hi there,

The photos and the tool, in particular, are impressive.

Unfortunately I am no position to help with your enquiry, having no experience of dismantling the sliding pillar suspension on an Aurelia but I would be interested to hear how you have got on with this.
Presumably it is one of those situations where it would be better to do whatever work may reasonably be required now, in preference to having to come back later!

Kind regards,
Charles
Dikappa
Megaposter

« Reply #6 on: 23 January, 2017, 07:00:58 AM »

At the moment I'm trying to find out what the factory tolerances are on the sliding components.  I asked around but no-one seems to have data on this (which makes me wonder on what basis one then decides whether or not to change components...)

I asked Fiat centro storico if I can get hold of production drawings for the components, but have not received an answer yet.

The only information I found is in Clive Beattie's 'fifty five years of dirty hands', where he states play should be 0.10 till 0.15mm.  (with less then 0.10 the steering will lock up he claim's)  I measured up the parts from the dismanteled axle and come to 0.05 in the bottom and 0.10 in the top which is puzzling.  Dry assembled (without the spring and gasket) there is indeed some play to be felt by hand in the top sliding part, so my guess is 0.05 would be better...

So I hope to receive news from fiat, they answered my mail they were busy...

In the mean time there plenty other stuff to do...to be continued.

Dikappa
Megaposter

« Reply #7 on: 08 May, 2017, 06:14:10 AM »

Meanwhile I managed to complete the rebuild of the front suspension.  I only changed the oil valve plate springs, as they were broken on both sides.
In the proces of dismantling I found the spare suspension to have different bottom guides on both sides, but as Christo's car had exactly the same, I thought it to be another weird 'Lancia' thing.

However on further examination it turned out to have nothing to do with Lancia's over engineering this time...  The axles were clearly already fiddled with, both having been originally equipped with the spring thrust bearing in the bottom, as opposed to the later cars.
I now found out that the early (bottom) thrust bearings are slightly smaller in diameter then the later ones.  The central tube in the bottom guide is also of a smaller diameter.  On both axles one of the bottom guides was replaced with a later type, but still re-using the small diameter thrust bearing, resulting in a broken bottom thrust bearing ring, and the bearing itself being badly damaged.
(the same fault on both axles I have here!!!)

I then sourced the newer type bearing, which is a perfect fit on the newer type axle, where it is normally located at the top of the spring.  However the old type axle does not allow the bearings to be fitted at the top.  So I now reassembled the axle with the newer type bearing at the bottom, re using the rest of the components, as everything was in very good condition.

Hope this makes sense, very simple when you're at it, but a bit abstract maybe in the writing.

Will try to make some pictures later.

In any case beware of the diameter problem when changing components, as when two out of two axles here have this problem, there will be more around....

Dikappa
Megaposter

« Reply #8 on: 08 May, 2017, 06:18:44 PM »

I could'nt resist a staged picture of the restored/repaired suspension and drive train parts before mounting them...
Hoped to have it ready by the end of the week for the Belgian Lancia Club rally but discovered a leaking front brake cylinder and decided since I then had to order parts anyway to renew both, master pump and do an overhaul of the reservoir.
Sadly parts will only arrive next week...there won't be too many test driving before the Sliding Pillar rally!!!!

* P1080265 (Large).JPG (329.62 KB, 1440x1080 - viewed 635 times.)

* P1080266 (Large).JPG (292.71 KB, 1440x1080 - viewed 452 times.)

* P1080268 (Large).JPG (249.62 KB, 1440x1080 - viewed 456 times.)
« Last Edit: 09 May, 2017, 05:25:41 AM by Dikappa » Logged
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 08 May, 2017, 11:35:22 PM »

I could'nt resist a posed picture of the restored/repaired suspension and drive train parts before mounting them...
Hoped to have it ready by the end of the week for the Belgian Lancia Club rally but discovered a leaking front brake cylinder and decided since I then had to order parts anyway to renew both, master pump and do an overhaul of the reservoir.
Sadly parts will only arrive next week...there won't be too many test driving before the Sliding Pillar rally!!!!

Lovely Grin

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Dikappa
Megaposter

« Reply #10 on: 09 May, 2017, 07:56:47 PM »

Today I struggled quite a bit with getting the original steering gear out.  I prepared a 'new' one with new seals and oil.
Getting the steering shaft of was intresting, it took me a few hours getting nowhere, and while eating dinner tonight the solution struck me.  It worked ok, although still quite a few heavy blows on the puller with the hammer were required to get it to move.

The trick is to take a piece of round massive bar 15mm diameter and 150 cm long, and put it inside the steering shaft.  I then used a small puller and the nut for the wheel to put 'pressure' on the bar and hence force the shaft of the steering gear shaft.  It is just possible to get this lenght of bar in and out without touching the headlining.

* P1080273 (Large).JPG (130.99 KB, 1440x1080 - viewed 389 times.)
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 09 May, 2017, 09:02:28 PM »

That's a lovely little puller with the clamp to hold the arms in place!!!

... and a very ingenious way of working!!!

Andy
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #12 on: 10 May, 2017, 05:52:32 AM »

Love the suspension picture .......

Still some work to do before June !!

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
Dikappa
Megaposter

« Reply #13 on: 22 May, 2017, 06:55:42 PM »

Yesterday first test drive!  All well except some unequal braking (I decided cto renew front pumps and master, plus an overhaul of the reservoir and the rear pumps), and a leak in the radiator.  After some additional bleeding and adjusting the brakes behaved, and the leak was soldered shut, however the engine seemed to have developped into a four cylinder...

Today after some panic followed by proper investigation revealed the contacts to be the culprit.  Set them correctly and today (third drive) she really behaved untill...I ran out of petrol...luckily close to home!

Sliding Pillar here we come!

Now quite a few small jobs remain such as grille, electrics to sort, and (Simon will be very pleased) auto cancelling winkers!

@ Simon: is there any information on the early systems (my dashboard witch seems much simpler than the one you described) in your carello book?

Thanks!
Will try to make some pictures of the installed parts, but was a bit too eager to get it off the lift....
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #14 on: 22 May, 2017, 07:52:09 PM »

Be interested to see pictures of your indicator set up, looking forward to seeing the car in the flesh !

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd