Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 08:21:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interview and video in Petrolicious - "Dominick's Legacy" - must see  (Read 2620 times)
peaktraveller

129% of people exaggerate.

« on: 13 December, 2016, 07:03:20 PM »

I thought this was something all of us would enjoy reading. I have cut and pasted 1 of the questions and answers below as well as the hyperlink. The entire article is worth a read.

http://petrolicious.com/dominicks-european-car-repair-is-a-living-legacy

Q: What cars do you, personally, most enjoy working on?

A: I love Lancia. As a mechanic, I notice that everything was made with a very purposeful eye to beauty, detail, form, and function. If you look at the Fulvia, it even has beautiful bolts that are copper coated, and the front suspension has two cast aluminum pillars. Lancia could have easily fabricated these with sheet metal, but it would have looked horrific.
Most cars are not really made to be taken apart, but these cars are like old-school watches that you can use a little jeweler’s screwdriver with. Most things today are pressed together and not meant to come apart, and when they are used, they get thrown away. These cars are the opposite. They really look like they were made by mechanics: every piece comes apart and can be re-used. Lancia was an out-of-the-box thinker. They didn’t tinker with other people’s solutions to engineering problems. They came up with their own. The stuff that they came up with was 180-degrees opposite from the norm and then slowly were adapted as the norm.
« Last Edit: 13 December, 2016, 07:20:44 PM by peaktraveller » Logged

Ducati 996 SPS
Ducati Multistrada 1200S
Audi RS4 (B8)
Austin Healey 3000 Mk III BJ8
Porsche 911 Carrera 3.2 Cabrio
Lancia Fulvia Coupe HF1600 Lusso
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 14 December, 2016, 12:20:46 AM »

I thought this was something all of us would enjoy reading. I have cut and pasted 1 of the questions and answers below as well as the hyperlink. The entire article is worth a read.

http://petrolicious.com/dominicks-european-car-repair-is-a-living-legacy

Q: What cars do you, personally, most enjoy working on?

A: I love Lancia. As a mechanic, I notice that everything was made with a very purposeful eye to beauty, detail, form, and function. If you look at the Fulvia, it even has beautiful bolts that are copper coated, and the front suspension has two cast aluminum pillars. Lancia could have easily fabricated these with sheet metal, but it would have looked horrific.
Most cars are not really made to be taken apart, but these cars are like old-school watches that you can use a little jeweler’s screwdriver with. Most things today are pressed together and not meant to come apart, and when they are used, they get thrown away. These cars are the opposite. They really look like they were made by mechanics: every piece comes apart and can be re-used. Lancia was an out-of-the-box thinker. They didn’t tinker with other people’s solutions to engineering problems. They came up with their own. The stuff that they came up with was 180-degrees opposite from the norm and then slowly were adapted as the norm.

Thanks for that, although with us it's preaching to the converted, I also like his face page has a Flaminia GT.

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
nthomas1
Rebel Poster

« Reply #2 on: 14 December, 2016, 02:03:04 PM »

Good to read, and great to see that places like this still exist, and seemingly thrive.

Norm Thomas
Ormskirk, Lancashire

Own:
1973 Fulvia S2 Coupe
Previous Lancias: S2 Coupe and S3 Coupe in late 1970s
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd