Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
19 March, 2024, 04:07:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lancia garages in the Chelmsford area. Registration HJ  (Read 3831 times)
Dermist

« on: 06 December, 2016, 11:11:38 PM »

Hi there,
I wonder whether I could pick your collective brains?

As some of you may know, I have recently acquired a Dedra Turbo which is currently undergoing heavy re-commissioning.  My Dad also has a Beta Montecarlo which is, yes you guessed it, currently undergoing heavy restoration.  (20 years to date). 

Anyway, over the course of 20 odd years, I had forgotten the number plate of the Montecarlo, and whilst mulling over old pictures of with Dad, it turns out that the Dedra, which was supplied new by Woodhams garage has the same registration suffix as the Montecarlo (HJ).

Woodhams garage is in Chelmsford and that ties in with the HJ numberplate, so my question is........

What Lancia dealers where in the Chelmsford area in 1978?

Is it possible that by some strange quirk of fate, Dad and I have ended up with two lancias from the same garage?

Thanks for your help,

Kind regards
Lee
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 07 December, 2016, 10:55:08 AM »

HJ is a Southend registration. The Southend-on-Sea Borough Council mayoral car carries the registration HJ 1.

There were two Lancia garages in the Southend area. One was in Station Road in Thorpe Bay (to my chagrin I cannot remember the name of the garage despite having bought a 3rd series B20 from a Mr Sandys who worked there), the other was in Thundersley in Rayleigh Road at its junction with Hart Lane. As Thundersley is not within the Southend Council area I would think cars registered there would simply carry an Essex registration. I am surprised that a car supplied in Chelmsford carries a Southend registration. Actually, giving it a little more thought, I believe Southend ceased being a registration authority at some point and it would be reasonable for Essex to pick up the HJ suffix ....... so yes, both cars could have come from the same garage.

Andy
038tipo
Megaposter

« Reply #2 on: 07 December, 2016, 11:20:07 AM »

Wasn't there one called Autoyachts near Hadleigh?
Dermist

« Reply #3 on: 07 December, 2016, 12:15:29 PM »

Andy,
You are correct that Southend area had HJ as it's prefix but according to Wikipedia (usual caveats in place) it ceased to be in 1974 and changed to Chelmsford.

I suppose the other question I should have asked was, did Woodmans Garage as a Lancia dealership exist in 1977/8?

As always thanks for your interest.

Regards
Lee
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 07 December, 2016, 05:25:00 PM »

Hello Lee, my memory is not that good on dates, but I feel confident that Woodmans was operating as a Lancia Dealership as late as 77/78.

I have just remembered the name of the Thorpe Bay garage (prompted by 038tipo's post). I am sure it was Thorpe Bay Autopoint. They did very well during the Beta years though there was a mishap with one delivery ...... a bridge hit in Thorpe Hall Avenue, less than half a mile from their premises!!!

Andy
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 07 December, 2016, 08:51:48 PM »

My 78 Gamma GT2500 (Coupe) came from Thorpe Bay reg JPU....

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
038tipo
Megaposter

« Reply #6 on: 08 December, 2016, 09:46:34 AM »

There was a garage of sorts, definitely body work repairs in central Southend as a friend bought their signage when they closed down.
I also heard they were one of the approved repairers who put things right on new cars before delivery.
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 08 December, 2016, 03:51:07 PM »

Be careful Paul, I think those that live in Thorpe Bay may not take kindly to being considered as living in central Southend!!!!  Grin

Andy
bobhenry999
Megaposter

« Reply #8 on: 08 December, 2016, 08:39:51 PM »

Lee,

Andy is right about the garage in Thorpe being Thorpe Bay Autopoint, as I used to go there for bits for my first 2000 Coupe.

I`m not sure that HJ was only confined to the Southend area, in which case you might have to consider other Essex dealers such as Wood & Krailing in Theydon Bois, and there was another small one on the A127 near Harold Wood whose name I can`t remember.

Bob

Flavia 815 Vignale
Flavia 819 Milleotto
Flavia 815 Coupe Inezione
2000HF x2
2000 Coupe
2000 Sedan x3
Current 815 Coupe Variante 1005
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator