Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 12:47:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I’ve crossed the Rubicon! - advice on replacement of Rear Panel and Valance  (Read 7601 times)
nthomas1
Rebel Poster

« Reply #15 on: 30 October, 2016, 03:03:41 PM »

I’ve had a few days spare between longish trips out of the country so thought I’d try the spot-weld cutter set that arrived while I was away.  Following advice from Andy and Brian I bought both types of tool; the more conventional “cobalt” drill and the cutter.  They came as a set, branded Clarke’s.   

I found the more conventional drill to be the most effective.  The small point in the centre helps keep the drill centred - with some downward pressure applied.  The flattish shoulders did a good job of cutting through the metal.  The panels often popped apart as I drilled through the first surface.  Knowing when to stop drilling was easier than I had expected.  It was possible to see the colour of the metal being drilled change from silver to brown when the seam was reached, often accompanied by a puff of rust dust.  It would be more difficult without the rust but I doubt I’ll find a rust-free seam on my car!  Frequently there was a pop as the panels sprung apart - helped by keeping a gasket scraper wedged in the gap.

The cutter was quite effective - and very sharp, but needed a small pilot hole to be drilled to stop the sprung locating pin from wandering.  The disadvantage of the cutter seems to be that it leaves the weld in place so that it has to be ground off after the panels are separated.

The first picture shows the results of using the drill.  You can just see the loosened rusty flange underneath the top panel with the drill holes in it.  The second picture shows the results of the cutter, with the circles of metal still in place. The third picture shows the set of cutters in their metal box. 

I’ll hopefully be able to complete the removal of the back panel and valance when I’m back in December. Will post some pictures then. 

* 1 - IMG_2908 copy.JPG (741.98 KB, 1843x1382 - viewed 246 times.)

* 2 - IMG_2902 copy.JPG (808.49 KB, 1559x2079 - viewed 262 times.)

* 3 - IMG_2896 copy.JPG (1016.02 KB, 1559x2079 - viewed 265 times.)

Norm Thomas
Ormskirk, Lancashire

Own:
1973 Fulvia S2 Coupe
Previous Lancias: S2 Coupe and S3 Coupe in late 1970s
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #16 on: 30 October, 2016, 11:04:13 PM »

I’ve had a few days spare between longish trips out of the country so thought I’d try the spot-weld cutter set that arrived while I was away.  Following advice from Andy and Brian I bought both types of tool; the more conventional “cobalt” drill and the cutter.  They came as a set, branded Clarke’s.   

I found the more conventional drill to be the most effective.  The small point in the centre helps keep the drill centred - with some downward pressure applied.  The flattish shoulders did a good job of cutting through the metal.  The panels often popped apart as I drilled through the first surface.  Knowing when to stop drilling was easier than I had expected.  It was possible to see the colour of the metal being drilled change from silver to brown when the seam was reached, often accompanied by a puff of rust dust.  It would be more difficult without the rust but I doubt I’ll find a rust-free seam on my car!  Frequently there was a pop as the panels sprung apart - helped by keeping a gasket scraper wedged in the gap.

The cutter was quite effective - and very sharp, but needed a small pilot hole to be drilled to stop the sprung locating pin from wandering.  The disadvantage of the cutter seems to be that it leaves the weld in place so that it has to be ground off after the panels are separated.

The first picture shows the results of using the drill.  You can just see the loosened rusty flange underneath the top panel with the drill holes in it.  The second picture shows the results of the cutter, with the circles of metal still in place. The third picture shows the set of cutters in their metal box. 

I’ll hopefully be able to complete the removal of the back panel and valance when I’m back in December. Will post some pictures then. 

Well done Norman,
The good news is both worked and look to have been relatively easy to use with minimal damage.
Ever onward and upwards!

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd